Author Topic: Making The Pewter Screw Tip  (Read 3227 times)

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Making The Pewter Screw Tip
« on: February 25, 2021, 06:54:32 PM »
  In case somebody want to try this here are some Pix of how I made the Pewter tip in this post: https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=64706.0

Starts out with a block with a 1/4" hole and a quarter inch dowel that is a little longer than the mold will be.

Different size patterns were made for the tip and collar. The nail is to help remove it from the mold.

The mold is made by wrapping heavy card stock around the pattern and taping it tightly with 4 or 5 wraps.

Roll out a base using sculpting clay, maybe 3/16 thick. Make a 1/4" hole in it and carefully slide it down over the dowel and tamp it down a bit and made sure it is tight against the dowel..

Put the pattern and the mold down on the dowel and press them into the clay just a bit. I use a pencil with an eraser on it to tamp the clay tightly around the mold then trim the clay. Take the scrap and roll it out on a board to about 1/4". Then wrap that around the base and pack it down.

Now using the nail pull the pattern out carefully, you may have to smooth out the curves but they don't have to be perfect because you will true everything up on the lathe. Now pour the pewter, you will need quite a bit. Once it cools smooth out the hole with a quarter inch bit, I use a pen mandrel for the turning.   

This is for the Collar: To save time I did not make a pour but have substituted a piece of wood for the pewter. Round it out and square the ends. Then drill a 17/32 hole through it for the 5/8-11 tap and go ahead and tap it.

For the tip: round it out and square it, turn one end down to a bit over 9/16ths, you can go 5/8ths but 9/16 works better for me, it should be about 3/4", you can trim it after threading. Screw the tip to the collar, mount them back on the mandrel and turn your design.

Any questions just ask.

Tim C.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 03:31:40 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline Greg Pennell

Re: Making The Pewter Screw Tip
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2021, 09:11:15 PM »
Thanks Tim. I kinda figured that was your process, just didn’t know if you had used a wood or metal lathe. Since the pewter is relatively soft, I reckon either one will work...but since the Jet wood lathe is in my workshop, and the South Bend is at my friend’s machine shop about 10 miles away, the Jet will get the nod if I get froggy enough to try it. At the least I might try a pewter collar on an upcoming project.

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Eseabee1

Re: Making The Pewter Screw Tip
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2021, 12:17:37 AM »
been awhile since I have been on here because of computer issues. Thanks for explaining Tim