Author Topic: Muzzleloader Builders clubs  (Read 4847 times)

Offline WestBranchSusquehanna

Muzzleloader Builders clubs
« on: January 29, 2020, 08:06:11 PM »
In a recent post, Rich Pierce mentioned that his club gets together one day a week.  Sounds like a great time and idea.  Too bad I live in North Central Pennsylvania and not in the Saint Lewis area.
Got me thinking, why not start something based around Williamsport?  Anyone interested?  I have a couple of friends already coming to my shop now and then.  Once a week may be too much if people are coming from a distance but once a month say on the first Thursday evening of the month should work. I'm sure that I could convince people like Fred Miller, Alan Martin and David Keck to join us on occasions since they are not that far from me.  If anyone is interested in such a group, I will be at one of the registration tables at the Artisan Show in Lewisburg this weekend.  Look me up if just to say hello and let's see if we can get something together.  In the past several years, I have attended a NMLRA class and an engraving class at GRS.  When you learning a group, wow do you ever learn new and different ways of preforming  tasks.  I am not an expert by any means but with each new build, they do look better and with a little constructive advice from the group it will only get better for me and hopefully others.

And anyone else around the country.  Feel free to use this post to inquire about a club in your area as well.

Let's see where this goes.............

Cheers, Michael Kuriga

Offline mikeyfirelock

• Age ? Voted for Nixon
Re: Muzzleloader Builders clubs
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2020, 08:54:53 PM »
Yeah, good idea.   I think I’m the only guy in my club here in NW Indiana who’s actively (sort of) building rifles, and I wouldn’t mind having someone to compare experiences with.  ( I think I’ve made every mistake building rifles that can be made.......and learned to fix most of them . )     Anyone in my area, I would like to hear from you......just send a pm.
Mikeyfirelock
Mike Mullins

Offline rick/pa

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2020, 09:03:42 PM »
You're just a mite too far for me. I'm in SW Pa. on the Youghiogheny river not far from Belle Vernon near Braddock's Road. I like the idea of builders getting together. Anyone else in this area?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 11:20:01 PM by rick/pa »

Offline BillPac

• N. Ohio
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2020, 11:14:45 PM »
As a reminder we are having a Gun Builders get together on Saturday Feb.15th at the Log Cabin Shop in Lodi Ohio.  If you are able it would be great to meet as many of you that can make the drive.  There is plenty of room and the museum is quite nice.  Will be there from around 9:30 until 4 or 4:30 depending on whats going on.
Bill Pachinger

Offline StevenV

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2020, 01:21:20 AM »
Michael/Rich great idea ,need to keep passing on this info, I lost one of the best mentors Richard Hujsa back in November. I was at his house all the time he lived 15min. away. He never said no and when I was leaving he always said come back anytime. I learned a lot!!! I guess well have to see how many are interested that are close (it's a relative term). I'm 6 hours from Lodi, 4 15min. from Braddock Pa, a while from Indiana and 2 from Williamsport. So I'll throw my hat in the ring and see if anybody in the area. I live 8 miles north of the new Cabelas which is entering it's 17th year, 25min. west of Dixon's. Mike I have to say for me, 2 hours is about the limit for an evening get together. So I am not opposed to Williamsport, hopefully your on the south side, a bit closer. I will see you on Saturday (Lewisburg) , I will be there with my daughter and maybe my other daughter also. What more can you ask, Lewisburg, great people, great show and a day with my two daughters.  Oh I almost forgot Rich , Saint Louis 13 hours 6 min. just a bit much.       Steve          (  I'll pick up the two heavy duty gun cases also)

b

Offline dieselmech570

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2020, 01:34:53 AM »
Yes, I would be interested, I have several projects in the works,  I live about an hour east of you and will be at the Lewisburg show on Friday, hope to meet you there. Dieselmech570 Please PM me

Offline recurve

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2020, 05:30:22 AM »
Darn I Just Moved from Williamsport area :o , now over the hill from  Dixons I would love to be apart weather and (flu) permitting

(Steven V might want to car pool )
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 05:34:06 AM by recurve »

Offline Tim Ault

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2020, 03:43:22 PM »
You're just a mite too far for me. I'm in SW Pa. on the Youghiogheny river not far from Braddock's Road. I like the idea of builders getting together. Anyone else in this area?
howdy neighbor , I'm just a little ways north of you in Mt Pleasant the signs for Braddocks road go right past my place .
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 03:46:34 PM by Tim Ault »

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2020, 05:42:14 PM »
Again, I am leaving in a few hours to help set up in Lewisburg and will be checking this post later this evening.

Maybe, by posting on here, you all may find someone close you never knew about.  Sometimes this internet thingy is handy.
Cheers,
Michael
Cheers, Michael Kuriga

Offline Bigmon

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2020, 07:48:31 PM »
I is about 12 miles north of Fort Ligonier?  I'm not much of a builder but I really like about everything about this subject.  I always have something on the bench being butchered.

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2020, 01:31:52 AM »
Yeah, good idea.   I think I’m the only guy in my club here in NW Indiana who’s actively (sort of) building rifles, and I wouldn’t mind having someone to compare experiences with.  ( I think I’ve made every mistake building rifles that can be made.......and learned to fix most of them . )     Anyone in my area, I would like to hear from you......just send a pm.
Mikeyfirelock

Too bad you are a few hours north of me. I could use a mentor in many areas. I'm in the Louisville, KY area.
Psalms 144

Offline BJH

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2020, 04:30:49 PM »
Some how I missed you at the show on Friday. I’m in Northumberland county so not terribly far. Feel free to PM me. BJH
BJH

Offline rick/pa

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2020, 12:39:28 AM »
You're just a mite too far for me. I'm in SW Pa. on the Youghiogheny river not far from Braddock's Road. I like the idea of builders getting together. Anyone else in this area?
howdy neighbor , I'm just a little ways north of you in Mt Pleasant the signs for Braddocks road go right past my place .

Hi Tim, I'm just outside of West Newton in Rostraver Twp. Do you go to any local shoots like Old Westmoreland Rifles?

Offline Tim Ault

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2020, 02:31:35 PM »

Hi Tim, I'm just outside of West Newton in Rostraver Twp. Do you go to any local shoots like Old Westmoreland Rifles?
  I haven't been to OWR shoots always wanted to though I've been to one at Clairton a few times

Offline flintlock hunter

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2020, 04:34:23 PM »
Hello all, Old Westmoreland  sounds familiar. I used to shot with a few friends at a different club every Sunday. East Huntington, Smock, Mountain Lodge and I believe Old Westmoreland, memory is going fast! That way we had a shoot to go to every weekend. I'm from Brownsville so they were all fairly close. Those where some good times, with some good friends.
 Barry
Barry

Offline rick/pa

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2020, 05:10:17 AM »
Tim,  I'd like to shoot at Clairton but never seem to find time to do it.  Maybe soon now that we're finally in another house. I haven't been to a ML shoot for over 15 years, I'd like to get back into it.

Barry,  I used to shoot traditional archery at East Huntington with Strictly Sticks back around 15 years ago, then family matters got in the way.  Did make it to some early ML shoots there with Mark P. and John K from OWR. There's another group from down around Houston that holds monthly shoots, I think they're listed in Muzzle Blasts.

Offline Wingshot

• Brand new NMLRA member
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2020, 07:06:54 AM »
I’m in Pgh and recently shot at Clairton. There’s 3 ML shoots per month within 50 miles of me that I’m aware of. The group in MB magazine shoots in Bentleyville PA and there’s also Forest Grove Sportsmans. I’d enjoy getting in with a builders group within a reasonable distance, I can use all the help I can get.

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2020, 03:58:24 PM »
I think we may be on to something here.  I met up with quite a few on the list at the Artisan Show in Lewisburg.  If anything it's great putting a face to names on this forum.
As for any of you wanting to get together at my place, I am "shooting" for March 5th in the early evening to meet and see if it's even possible.  Feel free to come early and throw some lead and BS.
PM me for directions and suggestions if interested.
For those that are out of the area, I'll let you know how we make out if at all in starting this group for you to begin one in your region.  I'm going to contact the folks at Muzzle Blast and see if they'll post something.
More to follow......Michael
Cheers, Michael Kuriga

Offline Greg S Day

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2020, 05:12:10 PM »
Michael,

I asked for you at several tables at Lewisburg.  I think you were one jump ahead of me.
I'm local to you and definitely would enjoy the get together.  Will PM you.

Thanks,
Greg
He Conquers Who Endures

Offline GANGGREEN

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2020, 02:18:30 AM »
I'm about 2 hours north and west and I might be interested at times, although it's a long drive, particularly on the way home. 

Offline elkhorne

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2020, 06:27:45 AM »
I sure wish there was someone down here in northern Louisiana that was a black powder builder or shooter! I have asked around and never found anyone who uses black powder to hunt the state muzzle loading season. Most hunt with single shot rifles with 3-9x scopes and shooting 25 Whalen modern cartridges! When I go to our local state range with my flinter, some are interested but most are irritated by how slow I shoot. I also have never found anyone in a reasonable distance that has any interest in building longrifles or related accoutrements. There is one NMLRA club in the state but they are over 2 hours south. Any ideas on how to get others interested?
elkhorne

Offline albert

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2020, 01:47:16 AM »
I'm in N.E.MO. , I  would be interested in helping anybody who is interested in building a rifle , I  have a complete  machine shop at home.
j albert miles

Cardcutter

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2020, 06:14:43 PM »
I wish I could find a group like this in Georgia. For that matter just in the south east.

Offline Prospector8083

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2020, 07:03:35 PM »
You think you have it bad ,try central California! Would love to hear from anyone in the San Juaquin Valley. :)

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2020, 09:01:18 PM »
Montana Historical Gunmakers Guild.

We meet once a month Jan-Jun. Then a 3 day Gunmakers Fair in August. Then a break for hunting seasons and such.
Run instruction on some topic every meeting and classes at the Fair

Dan

He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine