Author Topic: Traditions  (Read 2985 times)

Banjoman

Traditions
« on: January 30, 2020, 09:40:22 AM »
Howdy all. First post here, but been a member for a while. I have been shooting black powder several years, mostly percussion but one flintlock pistol. I'm looking for my first flintlock rifle and wondering which might be a good place to start. My current rifles are Hawken style. Thanks for your help.

Smokey Plainsman

Re: Traditions
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2020, 10:00:58 AM »
The hawkins guns are a good place to start. A good hawkins flintlock is a thing of beauty. Lyman makes a good one, as does Pernosoli.

Banjoman

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2020, 10:09:02 AM »
Thanks. I wondered about that. I saw some in Denny Ducets videos I think.

Online smokinbuck

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2020, 02:14:03 PM »
Smokey,
It's Hawken and Pedersoli.
Mark

Offline Tilefish

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2020, 04:57:24 PM »
Not sure what your price range is but would stay away from lyman if possible. Just my two cents.
Chad

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime 小asual Dating
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2020, 05:11:42 PM »
Not sure what your price range is but would stay away from lyman if possible. Just my two cents.

+1

Quality has gone downhill compared to the older Lymans.

Offline shifty

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2020, 05:24:49 PM »
  Hate to hear about the quality of the Lymans i have a old one and it is a good rifle.

Banjoman

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2020, 05:54:13 PM »
Thank you Tilefish and OldMtnMan.  That's good to know since that is one I had considered.  I'd be willing to go up around $1000 in order to get a quality rifle.  I've seen those with two piece stocks and an attractive price tag, however, I don't want to buy something cheap that's not going to last.

Having said this, does anyone know of a dealer/builder in or near East Tennessee where I could go to actually put eyes and hands on a flintlock before purchasing (not Academy, Dicks, etc.)?  I have purchased percussion guns from Dixie Gun Works and supplies from Track of the Wolf.  I also saw a few rifles at Martins Station this year but would like to see a few more. Thanks.

Banjoman

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2020, 05:58:21 PM »
Also, I am looking for something like a Kentucky, Tennessee or Pennsylvania long rifle in 40 to 54 caliber.

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2020, 06:05:05 PM »
With a budget like that you might consider posting a WTB and at least take a look at a few Used guns. You抎 end up with more gun that way.

Banjoman

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2020, 06:08:58 PM »
Okay, thanks.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2020, 06:24:12 PM »
I was going to suggest that too. Someone here could have a gun they aren't using that could be perfect.

I'd prefer a well built used gun than a poorly built new gun.

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2020, 06:48:30 PM »
 :) :)... Banjoman,... if you are near Knoxville, come to the TN-KY Longrifle show in April... never know what might show up there,... there are a couple custom builders in the East TN region,... and, like said before,.. post here in the buy/sell topic as "want to buy",.... CCF

Banjoman

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2020, 06:54:48 PM »
Alrighty then! Whereabouts is Knoxville?  I live in LaFollette, just north of there.

Banjoman

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2020, 06:57:56 PM »
Never mind, I just found it in the upcoming shows section.  Is this open to the public?  I'm not a builder, just a shooter and admirer.

Offline Frank

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2020, 07:00:20 PM »
Check out Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading. They have several styles that may interest you.

https://www.tvmnatchez.com/

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2020, 07:50:28 PM »
Thank you Tilefish and OldMtnMan.  That's good to know since that is one I had considered.  I'd be willing to go up around $1000 in order to get a quality rifle.  I've seen those with two piece stocks and an attractive price tag, however, I don't want to buy something cheap that's not going to last.

Having said this, does anyone know of a dealer/builder in or near East Tennessee where I could go to actually put eyes and hands on a flintlock before purchasing (not Academy, Dicks, etc.)?  I have purchased percussion guns from Dixie Gun Works and supplies from Track of the Wolf.  I also saw a few rifles at Martins Station this year but would like to see a few more. Thanks.

Forget the production guns and DGW and TOW, keep saving nickels and keep a very close watch on the classifieds here.  Some great deals pop up now and then, it just takes patience and persistence.   An in-the-white flintlock went for 700 bucks the other day. You can also post a WTB once you've been here long enough.  Getting one that fits and is better made than production guns shouldn't be too difficult.  Jackie Brown has had a few up lately for under 1,000, finished.

Lake Cumberland show is next weekend.  A day trip there might be illuminating.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 07:55:16 PM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2020, 07:58:20 PM »
Bob & Wade as usual have given you some very good information. Find a well cared for "used" rifle made by a qualified person with high quality parts. Also ask around on this site and find one of our members going to the same show. Meet up with them and have them help you "look around".
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Banjoman

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2020, 08:29:41 PM »
Thanks fellers! That's good info. I appreciate it.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2020, 10:21:56 PM »
Darn hard to do better than a Kibler kit for style and quality -  Colonial or SMR - almost ALL of the work is done.
Very fast builds.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Frank

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2020, 10:52:34 PM »
Darn hard to do better than a Kibler kit for style and quality -  Colonial or SMR - almost ALL of the work is done.
Very fast builds.

Totally agree. I have both of them.

Banjoman

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2020, 12:17:11 AM »
Thanks for all the good info.  Since we are in the Black Powder Shooting section, I have another related question that would apply to the rifle I'm looking for.  I have several percussion firearms which I use BP substitutes in.  I have a limited supply of real BP (ffg & ffg) but a great deal of substitute.  In a quality flintlock, could I use real BP in the pan and substitute for the main charge?  I have read discussions on this elsewhere on the net, but you guys seem to be the most knowledgeable.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2020, 12:32:45 AM »
You won't be happy doing that. Buy more real BP.

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2020, 02:54:07 AM »
   ??? ???... Banjo,.. Wade had a great idea,... the Cumberland show is next weekend,... might give you some ideas,.... have seen some in your price range there,....

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2020, 06:06:25 AM »
Howdy all. First post here, but been a member for a while. I have been shooting black powder several years, mostly percussion but one flintlock pistol. I'm looking for my first flintlock rifle and wondering which might be a good place to start. My current rifles are Hawken style. Thanks for your help.
I sent you a PM
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson