Author Topic: Mike Brooks followed me home....sort of....  (Read 3479 times)

Offline Brent English

• Robust Wood Lathes
Mike Brooks followed me home....sort of....
« on: February 02, 2020, 03:33:15 AM »
Went to one of the little local gun shows that are popular this time of year and came across this "antique" Mike Brooks gun from 1986. It was a tough choice between this and the 16 ga. JC Higgens bolt action shotgun with poly-choke next to it, but better judgement prevailed.  The fellow I got it from was a Civil War collector that had got it in trade and was looking to find a good home for it.  If Mike is around, I'd like him to comment on it if he can. I find the poured nose cap interesting on a rifle of this style.  The 31" long barrel is 54 caliber, and the muzzle has a heavy crown.  Bore is mint and I'm sure the gun hasn't been used a lot.  I go to a lot of these little shows and usually come home empty handed.  But I do find the occasional muzzle loader - I operate on the "even a blind squirrel finds an acorn now and then" principle. I'll have this at the Prairie State Longrifle show in Princeton IL this March if anybody wants to see it in person (sometimes Mike even shows up)

Done right is better than done fast.

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
Re: Mike Brooks followed me home....sort of....
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2020, 04:10:38 AM »
SUPER! Was this before he began numbering them? If not what number is it? I love seeing his short rifles. Thanks for posting!

Offline Brent English

• Robust Wood Lathes
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2020, 04:13:20 AM »
No number. Mike will need to weigh in.
Done right is better than done fast.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2020, 05:32:06 AM »
   Nice gun Brent...good buy. Will make a fine deer gun... Oldtravler

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2020, 05:47:44 PM »
I have been looking for that gun for years. It was my own personal gun for quite a while. I shot it a lot, very good shooter. If it is numbered it will be on the toe of the buttplate or the trigger plate, but I started numbering at #14 and I believe this was probably #12 or 13 so it probably isn't numbered. I had just learned to engrave so this is probably my first engraved gun. The gun following this one was also a jeager as I bought two jeager barrels from Don Getz and took delivery of them at F-ship in probably '85. I built it in my log cabin gunshop in Port Byron IL. It is stocked in local cut yellow birch. Several things have been altered since the last time I saw it. It was originally a  heavy coned .50. It did not have a Woodbury chevron pewter muzzle cap and did not have that funky white stuff under the sideplate. The front sight has been changed out too. Still has the same antique leather sling I put on it.  I sold it to somebody in Wisconsin, probably in the mid 90's, never saw or heard of it since. Glad it found a good home.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2020, 08:27:08 PM »
This rifle or a J.C. "Rusty"? That is the easiest decision you will ever make. Nice rifle great builder and his personal history to go along with it. WOW.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2020, 09:06:28 PM »
That carving behind the cheek - is that a dying turkey vulture?

Truly a great find for the new owner - congrats.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2020, 09:21:15 PM »
That carving behind the cheek - is that a dying turkey vulture?

Truly a great find for the new owner - congrats.
Check RCA VOL I in the unidentified secretion. keep in mind I was teaching myself how to carve back in those days, nobody around for any "how too's" ;) I actually think that beastie came off pretty good! In fact that whole gun was built before the internet and you tube videos. It's a miracle!  LOL...
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2020, 09:30:33 PM »
Love miracles - and dead turkey vultures!

Ya did a grand job of it, Mike.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2020, 09:38:49 PM »
Love miracles - and dead turkey vultures!

Ya did a grand job of it, Mike.
Not many people were doing stuff like this back in the mid eighties. Especially in IL/IA!

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2020, 10:46:17 PM »
 Good looking gun, I wondered about that nose cap as soon as I saw it.

Tim C.

Offline Jim Spray

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2020, 10:52:55 PM »
Great looking rifle! Wish it would have followed me home. Nice find for sure!!

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2020, 01:32:50 AM »
Beautiful rifle!!! That white thing and nose cap need to be dealt with though.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2020, 02:00:14 AM »
Hi Mike,
What a creative and wonderful gun, Mike!  I do admire your work and enjoy seeing it posted.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline ScottH

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2020, 08:03:41 PM »
Mike Brooks,
 Can you tell us more about the sights and the side plate opposite the lock? What lock did you use?
Thanks!
I like it alot!

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2020, 08:37:06 PM »
Mike Brooks,
 Can you tell us more about the sights and the side plate opposite the lock? What lock did you use?
Thanks!
I like it alot!
The front sight has been changed since I owned it. The side plate is sold as a French "Fusil fin" by many dealers. I don't know what All that white stuff is inside of the volutes in the tail, nothing I did. It has a slightly modified Davis jeager lock on it.

Online tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2020, 08:55:49 PM »
Very cool gun Mike!!!!! I like it alot!!!

Mitch

Online bob in the woods

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2020, 09:44:04 PM »
Here is an example of the strange things you can find re your older builds once released into the world .   I have seen a couple of mine which were reworked to the point that I wouldn't recognize them , but for the signature. [  One fellow filled in the trigger guard inlets, and surface mounted the guard with screws ....because that's how they're supposed to be !  ]