Author Topic: Loading from the Bag  (Read 3947 times)

Offline Mike from OK

Re: Loading from the Bag
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2020, 04:36:27 AM »
Reminds me of Boot Camp in the Marine Corps where we disassembled, cleaned, oiled, and reassembled an ____ blindfolded hundred of times in a day. Once we got into the Fleet we did the same task in the shower at our leisure. It's less about real world than it is about the tactile experience of being able to access what you need to do a task, in the future, with your attention elsewhere, where it may need to be. Probably an ol' Marine Gunny running that outfit....

I can't speak to disassembly/reassembly of firearms, but my dad kept his toolbox (mechanic) in military order for years after he was discharged. Every tool had an assigned spot. I asked him about it once and he said it was so each and every tool could be located in the dark while making repairs in the field during combat conditions.

Mike

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2020, 04:37:50 AM »
Reminds me of Boot Camp in the Marine Corps where we disassembled, cleaned, oiled, and reassembled an ____ blindfolded hundred of times in a day. Once we got into the Fleet we did the same task in the shower at our leisure. It's less about real world than it is about the tactile experience of being able to access what you need to do a task, in the future, with your attention elsewhere, where it may need to be. Probably an ol' Marine Gunny running that outfit....

I can't speak to disassembly/reassembly of firearms, but my dad kept his toolbox (mechanic) in military order for years after he was discharged. Every tool had an assigned spot. I asked him about it once and he said it was so each and every tool could be located in the dark while making repairs in the field during combat conditions.

Mike

A man who's been through the fire, sounds like to me.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2020, 08:33:00 PM »
Why would you pull the load, and give yourself just 60 seconds to do it, ever in real life, even in a historical context?
You are proud of yourself because you just loaded from the bag for your first time.  This station is the apex of that operation and you may never get into that game.  The time limit is because it's part of a contest.  However, you might dryball in the field and have to pull a load.

In the historical context, the situation woodswalk tests your equipment knowledge, your historical knowledge, and the ability to adapt to situations which might have occurred during that time frame.  It's what trekkers and members of the AMM do to test themselves for the ultimate in preparedness.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2020, 10:45:46 PM »

Mike

A man who's been through the fire, sounds like to me.

No Bob, dad never saw combat. But he went to great pains to teach me about the importance of attention to detail that he learned during his time in the army. When I enlisted he wrote me a letter and stressed attention to detail above all else... Probably saved me from doing a lot of pushups. Lol.

I'm currently remodeling my house right now and the house is in complete shambles and disorder... I'm going nuts. Lol

Mike