Author Topic: Wool wadding  (Read 1269 times)

Offline Mike from OK

Wool wadding
« on: February 04, 2020, 03:23:14 AM »
On other threads I've seen folks mention using pieces of wool blanket for wadding in smoothbores...

What about plain old sheep's wool? My sister raises sheep and I have access to almost an unlimited supply of wool... especially as the weather warms and the sheep start shedding large pieces of excess winter wool.

I'm thinking about gathering some up, giving it a wash and rinse, and trying it out.

Mike

Offline Semisane

Re: Wool wadding
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2020, 03:55:22 AM »
Sounds like a reasonable plan. The only thing I might be concerned about is dirt/grit in that raw wool doing harm to the bore. How clean is that shed wool?
My wife says I'm totally nuts, but I think I'm Semisane.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2020, 05:20:48 AM »
From "An Essay on Shooting"   (1793 I believe )  ".............Wool is nothing worth" 
They Do give a list of what Does work.

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2020, 05:42:14 AM »
Sounds like a reasonable plan. The only thing I might be concerned about is dirt/grit in that raw wool doing harm to the bore. How clean is that shed wool?

It's filthy... But I noted that I would give it a wash and rinse before using.

Mike

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2020, 05:49:38 AM »
From "An Essay on Shooting"   (1793 I believe )  ".............Wool is nothing worth" 
They Do give a list of what Does work.

Just a rolled up wad of raw wool over a bare ball... I can't imagine too much that could go haywire.

I've got tons of other stuff for overpowder/overshot wads... Scrap leather, craft paper, cardboard, etc...

Lots of stuff to experiment with. Lol

Mike