Author Topic: Flint Hawken Question  (Read 9145 times)

Offline Craig Wilcox

Re: Flint Hawken Question
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2020, 04:38:03 AM »
Phil - Mtn Man - it is wonderful to read these notes on history, and it makes one really appreciate just how much knowledge and abilities there is on this forum.  Scholastic efforts by many, tracking the almost un-trackable.

please all - continue this discourse.

I am building one of Don Stith's "St. Louis Rifles - J & S Hawken", and it is sure interesting to work on it.  I am bluing most of the metal, then "taking the edge off".  This full stock is trying to get the better of me, but I keep getting inspired by my friends on the forum and their discussions.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Hawken62_flint

• Nothing like it, 'cept more of it !
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2020, 10:26:04 PM »
Who cares, if you want a Hawken half stock to hunt with, get it done. I wanted a left handed half stock Hawken several years ago and I wanted it to be a flintlock. I used all steel hardware and made it as close as possible to a vintage Hawken. I did go a little overboard on the caliber and built it in .62 caliber. I like the big bores.  Anyway, it is a half-stock .62 caliber flintlock Hawken rifle and the first year I hunted with it it took down a nice 8 point whitetail. As far as I am concerned everything doesn't have to be period correct. Just my 2 cents.

Offline redheart

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2020, 11:58:43 PM »
Who cares, if you want a Hawken half stock to hunt with, get it done. I wanted a left handed half stock Hawken several years ago and I wanted it to be a flintlock. I used all steel hardware and made it as close as possible to a vintage Hawken. I did go a little overboard on the caliber and built it in .62 caliber. I like the big bores.  Anyway, it is a half-stock .62 caliber flintlock Hawken rifle and the first year I hunted with it it took down a nice 8 point whitetail. As far as I am concerned everything doesn't have to be period correct. Just my 2 cents.
Michael's original post did ask about the historical correctness of a halfstock flint Hawken.  I guess no one can be certain that there was never one made, just that it's highly unlikely. I agree with you totally if that's what he wants to hunt with he should just go for it. I don't think there's anyone out there enforcing historical correctness.  :o

Offline Herb

« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2020, 02:22:04 AM »
I'll give some pictures of fullstock flint Hawkens that will help with building halfstock flinters.  Here is Green River Rifle Works catalog.

Here's the first fullstock flinter I built, in 2007.

Mine on the left has an L&R Late English double-throated lock.  Neill Fields (who built at the GRRW and Hawkens a year in Australia) has a late Ketland on his rifle here.

Neill's at top has Track's "Hawken flint "Beavertail Tang" Plug (#Plug-BT-16-3).  This is solid, does not unhook.  Barrel is pinned.  See his serial number?  Mine below has Track's Hawken 1" "Flint Breech and Tang" (#Plug-FHG-16-3) where the barrel plug unhooks .  A flash hole liner is installed into the barrel ahead of the plug.  Neill and I recommend using this plug.  The barrel is then keyed from the left without escutcheons.

I'll break this off while I am ahead and post more later.
Herb

Offline Herb

« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2020, 07:51:54 AM »
Here's my second .58 fullstock flintlock Hawken I built.  I was hunting elk with it in the Uintah Mountains and fell on a rock with this result.  I repaired it and shot it until I no longer had the muscles to win with it in our local shooting matches.

This was built with a 36" barrel and Track's Flint Hooked Breech and Tang (#Plug-LRF-16-3), which has a .360" diameter powder chamber one inch long.  A flash hole liner is installed at the back end, and priming flame has trouble reaching the charge.  The black dowel shows the size of the powder chamber.  With Swiss 1 1/2F, I got 32 flashes in the pan from 50 hammer falls.  This plug has difficulty igniting charges and adds one inch and a couple ounces to an already too long and too heavy barrel.  I recommend against using this plug.  I modified it to make it work and shot this rifle maybe 1500 shots before I sold it.  Taylor, acting as agent, bought it for Hatchet Jack.  Hatchet wrote me last month that in the six years he has had it, he put just over 10,400 rounds through it, so you know it works well.  But I would not use this plug.

Here is the rifle at top compared to a 32" barreled .54 Hawken I built.  Because it was too long and too heavy, I built a .58 halfstock flint hunting rifle.  The bottom rifle is a custom .50 I built for Rachel.

This is my copy of Jim Bridger's Hawken and a .58 halfstock flint hunting rifle I built.  I had the buttplate and triggers on hand or I would have used parts similar to the Bridger's.  I think I sawed the stock out of a blank.

It made a good hunting rifle.  Here is a mule deer I killed with it, and friend Carl Jackson.

Now both these rifles are too heavy for me to shoot, so the last one I built was a lighter Carson caplock.  My advice?  Think ahead, don't build a long and heavy rifle, so a halfstock flintlock can be just what you want.
Herb

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2020, 01:07:36 PM »
I hunt PA's late flintlock season with a fullstock hawken I built.I can see a day when that could be to heavy to shoot off hand while walking the woods.Shooting sticks,different tactics could keep you going a little while longer.When the day comes and you have to hang up a rifle because it's just to heavy I would just build a lighter one.Just build the rifle you want to build,enjoy it,worry about all that other stuff down the road.As far as original flint hawken rifles,I'm sure there was some built .All that historically correct/traditionalist stuff while interesting and great if you wanna go that route shouldn't also hold you back.Me personally I hunt with a mix of old and new world gear.Heck,the deer won't know and a lot of the folks I hunt with won't either, they mill around the woods with flinters with composite stocks,LOL

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2020, 04:28:22 PM »
These are all good looking rifles and IF an authentic Hawken is ever found that was or still
is a flintlock then we'll know for sure what at least ONE of these looked like.
I care not for crescent butt plates and prefer English styled rifles as far as half stocked flint
locks are concerned.The Brits percussion guns are unsurpassed IMHO.
Bob Roller

Offline borderdogs

« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2020, 05:00:05 PM »
Herb,
I love those shots of the Hawken rifles but the shot with the broken stock and the game shot are really great. I used to collect and sell antique guns years ago (I still collect....don't tell the wife!) and in all the probably thousands of rifles I examined and held it was common to see the toe of a stock busted. Usually it was a piece broken along grain but sometimes more than just a piece. I think that shot of the broken stock having been broken in actual use illustrates just what probably happened back in the day.

I am putting together parts to build a Hawken full stock flint in .50 and although I like to discuss the historical aspects of Hawken rifles and the possibility of whether Hawken flint was ever built. I am not stuck on historically correctness when it comes to a rifle I want to use.
Rob

Offline Herb

« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2020, 11:32:38 PM »
borderdogs asked in a PM about the patchbox on the fullstock rifle.  It was Track's "Partchbox kit for Hawken rifle', #PB-Hawken-3-I.  I don't remember problems with the spring, but I made a lid-lifter spring from a piece of hacksaw blade.  Just grind off the teeth and carefully bend it as needed.

I stored cleaning jags stuff in there, a patch puller, a ball puller, a .58 jag drilled and tapped at the face for the .40 cleaning jag, shortened to just reach to the bottom of that flash chamber.  Everything is inletted or wedged against rattling with the lid closed.

I fitted a cleaning patch as shown, and this cleaned that chamber without losing the patch.

Herb

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2020, 12:10:39 AM »
Herb, I am putting that same patchbox on this J & S St. Louis Rifle.  That is a BIG patchbox, but I am like you in that I do like to keep some of the cleaning gear with the rifle.
And, I was wondering how best to clean that cavity in the breech plug - and perceived the answer in your patchbox contents - just use a brush or jag that fits, and screw it into the face of the .54 cal jag.  Brilliant!

It is an enjoyable build, using Don Stith's parts.  I hope I have many years left to use it.  Can't do a lot of walking now, but the upper body strength is still there.  Have to laugh - at age 74, and my VA rehab doc is now going to send me to Tai Chi classes for better balance and agility.  Who woulda thought the VA would do that? !!!
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Herb

« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2020, 12:28:48 AM »
I don't know what Tai Chi is, but maybe I could use it!  I could check to see if the VA would send me, rather than physical therapy for general toning up.
Herb

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2020, 12:35:25 AM »
I'll hit 84 on March 27 and am very thankful that I am able to do as much as
I still do.SOMEBODY on this forum said if they lived until they were 83 and could
still figure out which key unlocked the shop door they'd be happy. ;D
At this point in time the only thing I care to make now for the gunmakers are
these triggers.I made the last Hawken lock in March of 2019 and the last two
flintlocks were on the L&R Durs Egg externals in August 2019. I do NOT miss
these labor intensive jobs one little bit.
Bob Roller

Offline Herb

« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2020, 01:03:27 AM »
Bob, sounds like you're ticking over purty good.
Here are some photos of the halfstock in action in 2014.  Flint's Frolic shoot, where three of us were tied and did a shoot-off from  Jim's deck.

Flint to my left.  Lisa beat me.  I won the year before, shooting the turkey target, so had to draw the target in 2014.  My daughter Linda drew it based on one of my mounted antelope heads.

The rose was the aiming point.  My shot was low, Lisa's was closer so she won.

Herb

Offline borderdogs

« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2020, 01:08:37 AM »
Thanks for posting the pictures of the patch box and the tips on the cleaning jags. The engraving on it is similar to what I was considering putting on the cover of mine. The springs on the couple I saw just seemed light duty and under a lot of tension. My plan is to try to keep the rifle plain with a dark wood finish, haven't decided about a blue or brown metal finish yet. But I am still accumulating parts so I have plenty of time to decide.
Rob

Offline Mtn Meek

• GRRW Collector
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2020, 09:32:31 AM »
Great discussion.  Some reason that mountain men probably all wanted the latest technology, of course!

Flintlock rifles were being taken west through the 1830s and into the 1840s in large numbers. The top end, the free trappers, the brigade leaders, the fort booshway probably were more likely to have the latest, best, and most costly equipment. But the trappers who signed up for a season or two with a grade probably could afford or were supplied with durable, functional equipment like flintlock trade guns.

It’s not clear what class or price range a very early J&S Hawken in flintlock would fall into, but if we could go back with a time machine, my money would be on it being a simple, rugged, fullstock rifle not all that distinguished from others going west. I’d not expect it to resemble later Hawken rifles all that closely.

I agree with what you say.  You cover a fair range of issues, though.

I don't think that human nature has changed much in the last couple hundred of years and may not have changed much in the last few thousand years.  The people that went to the mountains to trap were diverse and would have had as varying opinions, likes and dislikes, and preferences as the people that post on these forums today.  Some would have gone as cheap as they could and been satisfied with a Northwest trade gun.  Some probably brought to the mountains what ever they already owned in the way of arms.  Some would have wanted the best they could afford.  And some would have wanted the latest and greatest and the most expensive, even if they had to go into debt to get it.  We see this in people today.  I'm sure it was the same back then.

There is some data, meager as it is, that may shift our paradigm a little concerning what trappers, particularly company trappers were willing to pay for a gun.

The article and book I referenced earlier by Jack B. Tykal about Etienne Provost also has information concerning the "Invoice of merchandise sent to Lucien Fontenelle in charge of Etienne Proveau to be sold in the Rocky Mountains for account and risks of U.M.O. 1834."  As the title of the invoice states, this is a list of trade goods that Etienne Provost was in charge of taking to the 1834 rendezvous for the AFC brigades led by Lucien Fontenelle and Andrew Drips.  Tykal reports that included in the list of goods were "6 steel mounted rifles, Hawken" at $20 each.  In addition, there were 10 other "steel mounted rifles" at $17.50, and 30 Northwest trade guns.  There were 3 other rifles listed "in use", but no values given.  The 10 other rifles at $17.50 match the prices paid JJ Henry for steel mounted American rifles in 1832 and 1833 and are probably some of the same rifles.  Absent from the list are any brass mounted American rifles that normally cost around $10 to $11.  Even though Tykal didn't give a price for the Northwest trade guns, they usually were valued at $4.50.

The AFC had been trying to compete with the Rocky Mountain Fur Co. since 1830.  They never won the race to the main rendezvous and sometimes didn't even find it.  By 1834, they were looking to supply only their own brigades, so these numbers do not represent all the guns needed or taken to the mountains that year.  In addition to the supplies that Etienne Provost was taking to the mountains, Nathaniel Wyeth had made an agreement with Thomas Fitzpatrick and Milton Sublette to take supplies for the Rocky Mountain Fur Co.  Wyeth had rifles with him that he had purchased back east, but I don't know any details about them.  Captain Bonneville also had trappers in the mountains and Michael S. Cerre was leading a caravan to supply him.  Then there was William Sublette who was racing with his caravan to beat Wyeth to the rendezvous and supply the RMFC and collect on the debts owed him by that company.  I list out all these because we don't know how many and what type of guns/rifles they took to the mountains that year.

At the 1834 rendezvous, the RMFC was dissolved and a new partnership was formed with Fontenelle, Fitzpatrick, Milton Sublette, Bridger, and Drips.  The new company had no capital and little credit.  Fontenelle used his relationship with the AFC to get supplies on credit from them.  By 1836, most of the other competitors had left the field and the AFC was supplying nearly all the American trappers in the mountains.  At the end of the 1836 rendezvous, Fontenelle, Fitzpatrick and Company sold out to the AFC who now only had the Hudson Bay Co. to compete with.

The website http://www.mtmen.org/mtman/bizrecs.html has information on the items taken to the 1836 and 1837 rendezvous.  As stated before, these are all the goods meant to supply the American trappers at both rendezvous.

The 1836 Invoice included (prices in parentheses from another source):

2         Am Rifle (@ $17.50 each)
 7         "  "        (@ $11.00 each)
 8         Hawkin "  (from $20 to $26 each)
84         N. W. Guns (@ $4.50 each)
30         N. W. Guns (@ $4.50 each)
 2         Rifles Hawkin (@ $24 each)
10 Boxes    Percussion Caps (no price info)
 2         Rifles Hawkens (no price info)

The 1837 Invoice included:

36      N. W. Guns   best quality   @ $4.50 each
 5      Am. Rifles  steel mounted   @ $19 each   
10      Hawkens Rifles         @ $24 each
12      N W Guns            @ $4.50 each

In 1834, one third of the rifles the AFC were sending to their trappers were Hawken rifles.  The other two thirds were slightly less expensive steel mounted American rifles (made by JJ Henry).  In 1836, 57% of the rifles taken to rendezvous were Hawken rifles, 10% were the slightly less expensive steel mounted American rifles, and the remaining 33% were the more affordable brass mounted American rifles.  Interestingly in 1837, two thirds of the rifles were Hawken rifles and one third the slightly less expensive steel mounted American rifles.  This is exactly reverse of the 1834 ratios.

These numbers seem to indicate that trappers that wanted a new rifle at rendezvous tended to have expensive tastes.  And that trend may have increased through the mid-1830s.  Only 1836 included the least expensive brass mounted rifles, but they made up only one third of the rifles supplied.

NW trade guns seem to have always been available if one didn't want or couldn't afford a rifle.

It may be worth pointing out that percussion caps were on the list for the 1836 rendezvous.  I'm not sure how many caps were in a "box", but think that it was 1,000.  If so, then 10,000 percussion caps were available for trade.

POST SCRIPT:  Does anybody have a source for mountain prices for trade guns and rifles?  The prices above are the prices paid by AFC in New York and St. Louis.  They are wholesale prices with transportation costs added in some cases for the St. Louis prices.  I would expect the prices charged to a trapper at rendezvous would be a multiple of these prices, but can't find a source to confirm.  I have found mountain prices for commodities such flour, coffee, tobacco, powder, lead, blankets, etc.  Two sources said these prices were 2,000% of "first cost" back east.  I believe "first cost" is same as wholesale today and back east was places like Philadelphia and New York.  The figure of 2,000% would mean 21 times the wholesale price.  That means a $10 rifle from JJ Henry would cost a trapper $210 in the mountains.  If beaver prices in the mountains are $3.00/lb and an average beaver pelt weighs 1.5 lbs, then a basic trade rifle would cost about 47 pelts.  Both the dollar amount and the amount of pelts seem too much to me for a rifle, but I don't know.
Phil Meek

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2020, 05:40:42 PM »
Great data and analysis.  It makes me “divvy things up” in my mind into “what guns were supplied at the Rocky Mountain rendezvous in the heyday” (8 years?) and “what rifles were made for and supplied the western trade during the fur trade era.”  I’m thinking now more carefully of the rendezvous - supplied rifles as a subset of the whole western trade. Included in the bigger picture would be, as you noted, guns taken west by individuals and large operations setting out. Those are, for the most part, documented mostly by their remains.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2020, 03:38:21 AM »
Its obvious the Hawkens made flintlocks they had to. Percussion guns were not all that popular in the west even into the mid 1830s. The American Fur company wrote to JJ Henry in the early 30s that percussion locks "would not do". Yes, they were trade rifles but they were not just selling to the Natives. The Smithsonian S. Hawken was obviously originally flint but dates to sometime after Jacob's death. So FL hooked breeches and lock were still available circa 1850.
The Hawken stamped FS Kentucky once owned by Bill Fuller in Cooper Landing AK was originally a FL but was probably reworked by the Hawkens and then marked but not built by them. Its just not a Hawken. More like a heavy match rifle that found its way to St Louis.
The Petersen rifle may well have a bolster formed on the barrel when it was welded has the J&S in the Montana Historical Society collection at Helena then filed to shape or it could be a drum of sorts. Bolsters formed as part of the forging process was common in the 1830s according to Greener. But without disassembly of the rifle there is no way to know.

If I were building a FL Hawken I would likely be something like the FS rifle that is in Baird's book that was then in the E. Louer collection. Its a percussion rifle with a breech very much like the mid-1830s rifle in Helena but is not hooked for easy removal and it has a long tang.  I think this is the rifle Don King used for a pattern for his FL Hawkens. There is another rifle breech and lock shown on plates 47 and 51 of the same book that is much like the Helena museum. And both rifles were, for Ha But I would likely make it with a short tang like the Helena and the Petersen rifle. Use a scroll guard as was done on both these rifles and short bar trigger and a brazed buttplate. One of our guild members is completing a rifle of this sort right now using measurements from the Helena rifle. Which I think may well be a actual gone to Rendezvous Hawken. Most surviving rifles are too late. Rifles mentioned here, other than the S Hawken are likely early to mid 1830s rifles. Most of the rifles we see are "Golf Rush" or "Cavalry Scout" era rifles. The percussion system we now use was not finalized until the late  1820s when the copper cap went into production. Prior to this the cap was a reloadable iron cup. There were other percussion systems in use various tube locks, "scent bottle" set ups and others.  So i don't see it as likely that the percussion Hawkens were made until 1830 so previous production was likely virtually all flintlock. But nobody wrote much about it. Just a comment here and there and a rifle was a rifle the ignition was not mentioned except rarely.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2020, 09:15:55 PM »
I shop made breeches on 2 rifles. One is  50 caliber with basic breech on the right (XXX) with a cavity in the breech cut with a 3/8 ball end mill but a much better vent liner.  XXXI, the Nock Breech, the original patent breech, is nearly identical (shorter threaded portion) installed in a 16 bore English style sporting rifle. I shoot Swiss powder exclusively. In the 16 bore my hunting load is 140 gr of FF Swiss and it is very reliable with from 100 to 140 gr. If I shoot a cheaper powder in the Nock breech rifle, Schutzen in this case, which is pretty good powder, it will fail to fire in 3-4 shots and require the anti-chamber to have some powder trickled into it to fire the charge.  The Schutzen was forming large flakes of fouling in the bore and if one were to fall over the passage to the anti-chamber it would not fill with powder and the rifle would misfire.
I generally shoot 70-90 gr of FFF Swiss in the 50 caliber rifle with the breech similar to XXX its more (its actually more like the TOW Hawken flint breech). The photo shows it fairly well. The vent liners are shop made. This rifle is very reliable but the liner design puts the charge within .030 or so of the priming. However, at the last match I attended I had several flashes in the pan. Which is very rare with either of these breeches. I wonder if was some anomaly of weather or bad luck.
Anyway if the vent is properly done and the powder is not prone to producing flakes of fouling to block passages either of these breeches will work very well. The Nock breech has about a .070" vent the other 1/16"

Dan

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2020, 09:34:23 PM »

Offline Herb

« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2020, 02:07:16 AM »
Joe S. has a good perspective.  Some observations-  Few if any of the "Hawken" rifles any of us build or buy are much like originals.  We build them way too pretty, me included.  If you want one like an original, it is going to be long and heavy.  Many of them are ugly.

Here is a comparison of rifles- TOP- a full scale photo of the Bridger Hawken.  It weighs 11 1/4 pounds.

2nd-  My LAST copy of the Bridger Hawken.  Phil Meeks told me that Knob Mountain had a stock that could be made into a Bridger Hawken.  They had only one on hand, a $240 semi-inletted shaped blank.  I wanted plain maple, but couldn't get one, so got this one.  It took a lot of whittling to get a Bridger stock out of it, but I did it.  This will be a very close copy of the original, it weighs 11 1/4 pounds.  I can barely lift it onto my bench!  I'll never be able to shoot it offhand, only from the bench.

3rd-  My first copy of the Bridger with the barrel I had to work with, an inch and an eighth by 31" .54 GRRW barrel.  It weighs 10 3/4 pounds.

4th- I could no longer shoot these heavy rifles, so I made a smaller one, patterned after the Carson Hawken.  This has a 31 1/4" .54 15/16 H&H barrel, 13" length of pull, and weighs 8 pounds.  I can still shoot this one with an elbow-rib support, and be competetive.

Last-  The .58 halfstock flint PLAINS rifle with a .58 32" 1 1/8 to 1" barrel.  It weighs 9 3/4 pounds.

The point of these pictures is, if you want to build a rifle and use it, build it to meet your needs, and look to the future when you won't have the muscles you do now.  Shorter and lighter are better.

And here is the answer to this flint Hawken halfstock problem-  I'd build it as close to a Carson Hawken as I could, because that model works well, but make it in flint and don't call it a Hawken.  Call it a "Halfstock flintlock PLAINS rifle" like I did to start with.  Nobody can complain about that.  See Track of the Wolf's website for an 1803 Harpers Ferry rifle, a halfstock flint .54 rifle.

Herb

Offline alacran

« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2020, 03:53:20 PM »
I really like Hawkens. I do have a love hate relationship with them. I love their outward simplicity.  I hate the fact that they are immensely complicated to build at the same time. I love how accurate all the ones I've made are, but then a heavy barrel tends to be that way.
I really hate how heavy they are. I have carried them for hundreds of miles while elk and deer hunting. Always made me wish I could afford a horse or a mule.
If ever I was to make a flintlock Hawken for myself, it would be a Christian Hawken. Much easier to build. It would be lighter, and there would be no controversy.
That being said I did build a plains style full stock flint Hawken for a close friend. I tried to dissuade him from such a venture. In the end life is too short to worry about the fine details.
H&H .54 barrel L&R lock. Schillinger sight.

A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2020, 12:42:57 AM »
I don't see any controversy unless we give credence to people who have not done proper research. We know the Hawken Shop was making FLs after the passing of Jake, the Smithsonian rifle has "S. Hawken" barrel marking and was obviously originally flint. This was long after the Mtn Man Rendezvous time frame. Why at this late date someone wanted a FL I could not say. Unless it was intended as a give for some native chief (it is heavily tacked) or the buyer just wanted one.
We know J&S had to make flintlocks well into the 1830s. In1830 Ramsay Crooks wrote to JJ Henry that percussion locks would not do but wanted waterproof FL locks and price was secondary since the lock quality had to be the first concern. So I consider it unlikely that Ashley took percussion guns up the Missouroi in 1831, though he liked percussion rifles and wrote as much in 1829 so its likely at least his personal rifle was percussion. Do we know what these early Hawkens looked like? Not so far as we know. Because they got used up. Just as most rifles that went West before the Civil War. For all we know the Petersen rifle was built in 1831-33. It has a lock nearly identical to the Atchinson rifle which is dated 1836. How long were lock plates of this shape made? No idea. Then the Helena rifle with its percussion lock with a plate obviously formed in a FL forging die for late beveled plate FL lock and stamped "Tryon" not "Tryon and Son".  But when was the lock supplied to the Hawken Shop and when was it used 1830? 32/34/37?  The rifle has a cheek piece virtually identical the the Atchinson rifle. But so few of these early guns survive that we just cannot date a rifle with no logical date applied to them closer than 5 years or maybe 10 in some cases.

I also find it interesting that the Petersen rifle, the Atchinson rifle and the rifle in Helena are all percussion and all expensive rifles with considerable engraving. The Atchinson rifle is mounted in silver and has a SS trigger and a long breech tang and has numerous inlays some of mother of pearl. We can be pretty sure it never went farther West than Westport Landing or Leavenworth being owned by steam boat owner. My question is, where are the plainer rifles contemporary with these? Were these plainer rifles FL or percussion? In what percentage? Full stocked?
In reality we hardly know what we don't know here and a person could end up running in circles.
It's like the 1803 Harpers Ferry or the Contract Rifle being used by the L&C Expedition. There is good evidence that they used the 1803. There are, for example, 15 rifles made that are in excess of the official orders and there are other things as well. Such as two rifles bursting in the upper barrel. Something the 1803s were known for.  Unfortunately there no photographs from the time  ;)  But I would not say either was wrong for someone built either as a "L&C rifle". I THINK they used prototypical 1803s. Lewis had field experience the the Contract rifle and they did not have a good reputation in service or so I have read.

My problem with people making the earlier J&S rifles is not taking the time to make a proper buttplate.

Dan

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2020, 01:32:25 AM »
Thinking the earliest fullstocks probably had some of Christian's influence on them.

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2020, 02:27:22 AM »
Quote from Alacran:  "I really hate how heavy they are. I have carried them for hundreds of miles while elk and deer hunting. Always made me wish I could afford a horse or a mule."

Now, had you opted for a DONKEY, you would have been in great shape!  Lots less expensive than either a horse or a mule.  The smaller animals need less food and less acreage to roam in.  Donkeys are also excellent at keeping coyotes at bay - I have seen several after they met a donkey, and there wasn't really enough to bury.

I raised donkeys in OK, and sold them to ranchers with large cattle herds.  The donkey, or llama in some cases, do a great job of protecting the herd.

Additionally, they have great personalities, and make excellent companion animals.  But DO NOT invite them in!  They will take over your TV watching couch, and cannot be properly potty trained!

AND you would have the benefit of having the donkey carry the load.  They can easily carry up to 300 lb, but do much better with about 150.  Just ask those old-time prospectors!
Craig Wilcox

Offline Herb

« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2020, 08:02:17 AM »
Continuing to stir the pot-

Herb