Author Topic: Poor soldier  (Read 3183 times)

Offline Longknife

Poor soldier
« on: January 31, 2020, 02:10:08 AM »
I posted a pic of this rifle a while ago and there was some interest in seeing the rest of it. So here is the rifle I named , "Poor Soldier"...Ed

Ed Hamberg

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
Re: Poor soldier
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2020, 02:15:51 AM »
I can't read the name on the barrel, but the stock profile, guard style, cheekpiece, rather plain wood, etc. all look very much like a Leman commercial rifle. Shelby Gallien

Offline Longknife

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2020, 02:31:04 AM »
RIGHT!!!!!!
Ed Hamberg

Offline louieparker

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2020, 11:27:50 PM »
Longknife  Is that a repair to the box lid ?  Bet it has an interesting history. Very possible Indian use..   Probably made for the Indian trade......LP

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2020, 11:44:20 PM »
The name really does fit.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline vanu

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2020, 01:56:23 AM »
What a wonderful piece! I hope it stays in this condition, lots of character as-is...even the highest quality restoration would turn it into just another Leman...

Bruce

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2020, 02:23:40 AM »
I agree on not restoring it, but would glue the broken pieces, like the broken wrist, back together to keep everything in one piece.

If at some point the wrist gives way and the gun breaks in half, that'll be pretty much bye bye gun!
John Robbins

Offline vanu

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2020, 02:46:20 AM »
John has a good point. Many of us on this site, are somewhat of a rare breed of collectors in that we favor the unspoiled. That said however, If the arm is stable it will be much less likely that an aggressive /inappropriate restoration will be carried out in the future, thus preserving artifacts as-is for future collectors/curators to study without the complexities of deconstructing a restorative campaign.

Bruce

WESTbury

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2020, 03:53:34 PM »
I personally do not see the need to restore artifacts like this rifle. It is a lot of history wrapped up in one neat package.

Offline Notchy Bob

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2020, 08:52:36 PM »
The rifle is a beauty.  Thanks for posting!

I'm seeing LEMAN over LANCTRPA (Lancaster, Pennsylvania) on the lock plate.

I don't know a lot about Indian trade rifles, but I'm interested in them.  I see corrugated brass ramrod pipes and no entry thimble, as you see on Northwest guns.  I did not know these features could be seen on trade rifles, but here is an example.  No nosecap, either.  The triggerguard looks like classic Leman, but I would consider that capbox lid unusual.

Is the furniture all brass, or mixed iron and brass?  Was there a sideplate?  I would be interested if there was, and what shape.  I can't see a well-defined inlet in the damaged wood.

It would also interest me (and maybe some others) to know some of the dimensions... Barrel length and diameter, approximate bore size, OAL and length of pull to the front trigger.

Thanks!

Notchy Bob
"Should have kept the old ways just as much as I could, and the tradition that guarded us.  Should have rode horses.  Kept dogs."

from The Antelope Wife

Offline Longknife

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2020, 12:43:38 AM »
Longknife  Is that a repair to the box lid ?  Bet it has an interesting history. Very possible Indian use..   Probably made for the Indian trade......LP
Louie, Yes there is a repair to the patch box lid. A thick piece of brass was added the to lid and a thin piece of what appears to be copper was added to the underside, all neatly riveted together.

Ed Hamberg

Offline Longknife

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2020, 12:47:10 AM »
I agree on not restoring it, but would glue the broken pieces, like the broken wrist, back together to keep everything in one piece.

If at some point the wrist gives way and the gun breaks in half, that'll be pretty much bye bye gun!

JTR, It is broken in half,  :'(
Ed Hamberg

Offline louieparker

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2020, 01:05:33 AM »
Great repair !    I like to see rifles like this..They are now very hard to find....   LP

Offline Brent English

• Robust Wood Lathes
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2020, 07:12:30 PM »
I'm confident it's a Leman or a Conestoga Rifle Works (a Leman company) rifle, made for the Indian trade.  First, it says Leman on the lock, and the stock profile and other features match up as does the patch box outline (there was some variety in these).  The side plate was normally a simple washer with a vertical tail. They often used NW trade gun style ramrod pipes (stamped, ribbed thin sheet brass) and shipped without nosecap.  I have a smooth rifle that is a match to this one, but without the patchbox and set triggers. Originally it would have had a faux striped maple finish.  Sometimes the barrels were marked, sometimes not. As others mention, best left as a relic, please don't restore it.   There is a great encyclopedia on trade guns put out the by the "Museum of the Fur Trade" in Chadron, NB.  A great excuse to go to Nebraska if one is needed. Here's a link to the book, highly recommended if you are into trade guns: https://www.furtrade.org/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=60_85&product_id=124
Done right is better than done fast.

Online Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2020, 07:25:33 PM »
That piece is awesome.  I wouldn't touch a thing!  Absolutely fantastic appearance.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2020, 08:29:28 PM »
The rifle looks very much like a Leman product, but I question the lock plate. it looks like a replacement lock to me, when you look at the fit toward the nose, and alignment/shape of percussion side lug cutout. Shelby Gallien

Offline WElliott

• member 2
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2020, 05:24:06 PM »
Generally, I’m inclined to leave alone normal wear from the period of use, and to address neglect from later negligent storage, such as rust and crud. I have a Wiley Higgins rifle that came to me rusty and filthy, perhaps from being left in a barn for 100 years. I was debating what to do, when a wise lady asked me “would Wiley Higgins want to see his work looking like this?”  Needless to say, the rifle then received some appropriate attention. 
Wayne Elliott