Author Topic: British trade gun  (Read 2512 times)

Offline wabeek

British trade gun
« on: February 04, 2020, 09:50:04 PM »
There is what appears to be a 'chief's grade' American Indian trade gun set for auction Feb. 8 in Canada as shown by Miller & Miller Auctions Ltd..  The photos though sparse are helpful.  The description recites some restoration but nothing alarming (I think).  Ketland flintlock!  Canadian $ estimates but don't know commission,  'goods & services' tax, etc..  Always worth studying however.

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: British trade gun
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2020, 12:34:46 AM »

Andover, Vermont

WESTbury

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2020, 03:13:12 AM »
Hopefully, Joe Puleo will weigh in on this.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2020, 07:20:27 PM »
Looks like a perfectly good example of a Chiefs grade trade gun to me, and has all the right things in the right places.
One question would be what restoration was done and to what degree. To me, restoration is no big deal to me if done well and not used to make something out of something it isn't.
Even the estimate looks fair.
John Robbins

realtorone

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2020, 12:44:25 AM »
John Do you know anything about the three Leaf design on the breech plug? I have several long guns with that not only on the breech plug but also on the front portion of the trigger guard and butt plate . A percussion pistol with a umbrella shaped handle. 54 cal .US 1836 Barrel.That has the design several places

George Hebling

WESTbury

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2020, 01:04:20 AM »
Most Ketland made arms, pistols, muskets, and fowlers have that three leaf design on many components.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2020, 01:13:43 AM »
George, As I understand it, a trident was the mark the British put on weapons signifying government ownership.  Like Westbury has shown this three leaf design is generally on many parts and might well be a representation of the trident mark, whether put there by government inspectors, or not.
John

PS, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong!  ;)

John Robbins

Offline wabeek

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2020, 01:50:40 AM »
I believe the '3 leaves' are stylized feathers representing the Prince of Wales. They will appear on the tang, some of the brass furnishings, in this example on the Ketland lock, and will appear in a more primitive form as the front final of the trigger guard also as seen here.  Photos of the side plate, front sight from above and the ramrod out of it's channel would be nice, however everything shown suggests those too will be right.  A cool trade gun, early and maybe out of eastern Canada!!  Iroquois???

WESTbury

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2020, 05:41:11 AM »
three leaf design is generally on many parts and might well be a representation of the trident mark, whether put there by government inspectors, or not.
 ;)

The "trident" is actually the British Broad Arrow government ownership mark. See page 14 of The Brown Bess by Stuart Mowbray and Erik Goldstein published in 2010 by Mowbray Publishing. The Broad Arrow is very definitely not the same as the three leaf design decoration found on Ketland arms.

realtorone

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2020, 04:14:00 AM »
Thanks to all for the info
,although the  pistol is made from a US M 1836 barrel converted to percussion with all civilian pistol parts, Really a nice looking gun although heavy and holds funny with the pistol grip turning under.  Makes me think of Louisiana manuf.
George.

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2020, 05:35:38 PM »
The mark on the lockplate is the Ordnance storekeepers mark and it is government proved. It is one of the Indian trade muskets supplied by the Ketlands to the Ordnance office. I have the exact figures and dates but they are at home and I'm in the office. The "tulip" design on the lockplate and barrel tang is almost certainly meaningless...it appears on a lot of guns that were made in the Birmingham trade. By this time no Ketlands were involved in the manufacture of anything beyond the possible assembly of parts in their Whittal Street warehouse.

jp