Author Topic: Need pics of shot pouches/shooting bags associated with fowling pieces...  (Read 5560 times)

Offline Greg Pennell

Great looking kit, Darrel!  I’m a big fan of your work, you should post more of it!

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline Mike from OK

The Lyman bag is just a typical mid 18th c anglo shot bag with New England provenance. There are several English images showing similar bags, likely a mass produced form/style. If you have a folding knife in your pocket that can be used for a screw driver, a bit of wadding and shot/balls in such a pouch plus a horn, you don't really need much else, heck these guys were sometimes using an old pipe bowl to measure powder and shot.

Interesting you should mention using an old pipe bowl... I don't know how old this is. Older than me is a safe assumption.

This was given to me by my wife's cousin. She and her family went on vacation to England and on a whim decided to go "mudlarking"...  Basically you pay to dig through the mud in certain areas. Amateur archaeology I guess you could call it. She found this, cleaned it up and brought it home. When my wife and I went to visit her and she found out I am a pipe smoker she gave it to me.

I have considered using it as a shot/powder measure for my smoothbore. But I am afraid that after banging around in my pouch it would be reduced to white crumbs in short order.

Mike

That is a great little artifact. Not that there haven't been tons of old pipe peices found, but by virtue of how this one came to be yours. Do not risk it's integrity by using it as a shot and powder measure. Clay pipes are cheap enough, buy one, use it to dirty it a bit, and break off the bowl for use as a measure.

It's a neat little artifact but is in fact a little too big for use as a measure... It holds about 1-5/8 ozs of shot which is more than I need. Not sure what that would equate to in grains of powder, but again, more than I care to use.

When I get the load developed for my smoothie I will probably use deer antler for a measure. It suits me better anyway.

The pipe will remain a curious relic safely tucked away.

Mike

Offline Mick C

Beautiful set Darrel.  Your work is always first rate!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 12:56:25 AM by Mick C »
My profile picture is my beloved K9 best friend and soulmate, Buster Brown, who passed away in 2018.  I miss you buddy!

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
Thanks, Timber...great post.

Now, if you REALLY want to get out of the newbie Starting member category, you'll be required to post at least fifty pics of your stuff...maybe by this weekend and it'll be a start...

Stuff rules...

Offline Marcruger

Yes indeed, Darrel Lang does some really fine and tasteful work. I put his work in the same category as Greg Hudson’s and Lawrence Fiorillo’s great function art.  By that I mean “high praise”. God bless, Marc

Offline smokinbuck

I have a bag, made by a friend, that has a hollow flap with an English flask tip. The hollow flap holds the shot the bag holds accoutrements.
Mark

Offline Brokennock

I have a bag, made by a friend, that has a hollow flap with an English flask tip. The hollow flap holds the shot the bag holds accoutrements.

Doesn't a flap full of shot make it tough to get at stuff in the bag under the flap?