Author Topic: Help on this rifle  (Read 1976 times)

Offline adam h

Help on this rifle
« on: February 07, 2020, 04:22:43 AM »

i was wondering if someone can tell me anything about this rifle.A coworker brought in and had me
look at it i know nothing about it.

The hammer is missing and the bolt is broken  it appears to have a rear peep that sat in the tang
missing but it did have a screw in the base . the breech plug is a hook style and i took the barrel
out and was also able to remove the plug i believe is usable its small caliber but the barrel is unusable
sorry for pics i used my cell phone but i can get more photos. the barrel was 31 1/2 in in length
with the plug , octagon and the last 3/4 jn was round .  this is the only place i figured im gonna
fid out anything also looking for parts thanks
adam

Offline adam h

Re: Help on this rifle
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2020, 04:35:59 AM »
the triggers are held in also with the brass trigger guard which is also broken and missing apiece
when i took the knob loose and rotated the the brass piece at the trigger base they came rite out
they still set and the lock will cock and fire if i use a wrench.
adam

Offline JPK

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2020, 05:54:30 AM »
It’s a Schuetzen type target rifle. It probably had a false muzzle originally. They often have a makers name on the barrel. The lock could have a name on it but that may be the loc’ maker. The trigger guard was rather fancy made for a grip.
A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2020, 07:46:05 PM »
There's guys her that can fix the gun up good as new!

But, what's wrong with the barrel?
John Robbins

Offline adam h

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2020, 10:10:46 PM »
thanks guys the barrel I believe had a ball stuck in it for as long as they have had it I drilled it out soft lead
but it is so rusted the rifling is barely noticeable. I thought maybe it could be rebored
adam

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2020, 10:58:33 PM »
If you are determined to shoot it you may want to consider relining the barrel at the existing caliber. This gun may be a 'Scheutzen Verein' from one of the old shooting clubs that German folk seemed to be fond of, once upon a time. There were other 'Turn Verein' groups as well that stressed athletics, and so on. Nice rifle, and it won't be too difficult to put it back right. Good luck and thank you for showing it here.
Dick

Offline adam h

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2020, 05:54:34 PM »
thanks guys , I looked at a lot of scheutzen rifles last night . my friend would like to make this rifle
shoot again and I think it can with some repairs cost will be his biggest concern and finding parts.
I told him to go for it.
adam

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2020, 01:30:23 AM »
I see that you are in Minnesota, so my theory about this rifle would fit. I'm guessing that it was by an upper Midwestern maker, possibly even from Minnesota. There was also lots of Schuetzen activity in Iowa, Wisconsin and Illinois. Take a real close look at the top barrel flat. The maker's stamp could be quite small, and could also be hiding under some dirt and grime.

Offline adam h

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2020, 04:12:13 AM »
im gonna have to get this rifle and look for  makers marks. I did find something the
first time I looked at it. the breach plug did not line up with the flats I figured it was tight
with vise and wrench I got it out I filed the rust off the end of the barrel and there you could see
a perfect no. 7 1/2. on the end. I put the plug back in an it tightened and aligned. that's
 been the only markings I have found so far have to keep looking.

adam