Author Topic: Iron roller buckles  (Read 1503 times)

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
Iron roller buckles
« on: February 09, 2020, 05:35:31 AM »
Is there anyone in the know that knows an approximate time that these type of buckles started to become common? I know they were common by the 1850s, but haven't looked too much farther back in time.
Psalms 144

Offline B.Barker

Re: Iron roller buckles
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2020, 06:07:18 AM »
There is one I seen on the web from Virginia that was 17th or 18th century. Can't remember where I seen it but it was an archeological page and had relics from a dig from the coastal side of the state. The roller buckle didn't look like the ones from the 19th century though. I used to have a photo of it but don't know where it's located now.

Offline Kevin

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2020, 11:20:57 PM »
Greetings,

In "Of Sorts For Provincials" by Jim Mullins there is a photo of a cartridge box with a belt that utilizes a roller buckle.  The description makes note that "Although rare in 18th century Ordnance equipment and more common in the next century, roller buckles were utilized in some civilian leather goods."

Doesn't answer the when do they become common question but does demonstrate some use in the 18th century.

Kevin

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2020, 04:13:51 AM »
I read somewhere one time that they were used on Roman tack.
Bob

South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2020, 04:20:57 AM »
I read it on here. The late Chuck Burrows stated  they were common in the middle ages and early Rome. Check the search engine.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2020, 06:07:29 AM »
Thanks for the replies gentlemen.
Psalms 144

Offline JohnnyFM

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2020, 12:54:57 PM »
Togas were common among the patrician class in Ancient Rome too.
There’s even a painting of GW wearing a toga , “The Apotheosis of Washington”.  Next time you’re in the US Capital bldg, look

At least 2 statues of of our Founding Father  that shows he knew how to toga.

So...

Just cuz it’s old don’t make it accurate for a specific time period.  Or, at least common.  But then again, if you want to use a roller buckle, it’s still sorta free country; go for it!

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2020, 03:57:56 PM »
Togas were common among the patrician class in Ancient Rome too.
There’s even a painting of GW wearing a toga , “The Apotheosis of Washington”.  Next time you’re in the US Capital bldg, look

At least 2 statues of of our Founding Father  that shows he knew how to toga.

So...

Just cuz it’s old don’t make it accurate for a specific time period.  Or, at least common.  But then again, if you want to use a roller buckle, it’s still sorta free country; go for it!

Other than sarcasm, just what does this add to the discussion? I know very well that there were things the Romans had that were forgotten about for a thousand years plus or minus a few, ei; concrete, plywood, reliable plumbing, regular bathing to name just a few.

I never said I was going to use a roller buckle for anything, so don’t assume such. Was only a question from curiosity.
Psalms 144

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2020, 04:23:23 PM »
I use roller buckles!
TC
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com