Author Topic: Sheath - Of Boots and Pistols  (Read 1730 times)

Offline Marcruger

Sheath - Of Boots and Pistols
« on: February 15, 2020, 08:22:13 PM »
Here's a sheath I made for myself.  It is carrying a knife Todd Butler made for me. 

It is made of 4-5 ounce cowhide, dyed in my "finegaroon" dye.  As in faux-vinegaroon.  It is actually Fiebing's Pro Dye "Show Brown", but gives that deep black-brown shade.  The top band is "Saddle Tan". 

The ball-stud is to stop the knife from falling through if it is stuck in a waistband or belt.  It can also be used with a frog, or with a loop sewn on the back of a hunting pouch. 

I found a new source for linen thread, and love it.  This is 4-ply. 

I added a belt loop on the reverse.  It has a welt to protect the belt loop's stitching.  The sheath body also has a welt to protect the stitching. 

Boots?  I love the Colonial riding boot look, so I went for a variation of that in my color scheme.  My thinking is that a wealthy customer may have wanted a bespoke sheath that matched his boots.  That's my story and I am sticking to it.   :-) 

Pistols?  I hear my gunmaker friends say, "I dislike making pistols as compared to rifles.  They are hard to work with because they are so small, and no one wants to pay the money for a pistol that involves just as much work as a rifle."  Well, that's the same case with a sheath.  Lots of fussiness, time, and no one wants to pay for a sheath.  Bags are, to a degree, relatively easier.

God Bless,   Marc

RoaringBull

Re: Sheath - Of Boots and Pistols
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2020, 09:02:14 PM »
That is sure fine work!

And I understand what you mean about k life sheaths. I usually only make them for trade now, for things made by young bucks that I know. Not always super fancy or super well made, but it encourages them.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2020, 10:55:05 PM »
 That's a beauty Marc, we need to talk.

Tim

Offline FDR

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2020, 11:00:42 PM »
Very Nice! I have made over 400 sheaths to go with my custom knives (modern) and yours is top notch work.

Fred

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2020, 02:25:37 AM »
Very, very, nice. Clean looking g and well executed.
Can we please see the rest of the knife? And, maybe more importantly, any info you can share on the new thread source?

Offline Daryl

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2020, 03:14:04 AM »
Very nice, Mark. As professional a job as I've seen.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2020, 03:59:59 AM »
Looks great, Marc. Thanks for sharing.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2020, 05:13:08 AM »
Many thanks folks.  Brokennock, please see the photo below for a view of Todd's knife.  I cold blued the blade myself after he sent it to me.  Todd does nice work. 

The thread company is LimaBeads.com.  I bought the waxed linen in 3-ply and 4-ply.  The three ply is what I would call thin for leather work.  The four ply I like a little better and is what I would call "medium".  I ordered various natural colors and those two weights.  I'll use it all eventually. 

God Bless,  Marc

2012 vw golf gti 0 60

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2020, 07:01:19 AM »
Fitting sheath for a fine knife!  Marc, I love that color combo, very classy.  Thanks for the thread source, too. I need a resupply, as I’m going to tailor a couple of shirts, and a hunting frock soon.

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

RoaringBull

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2020, 04:23:36 PM »
Limabeads.com does sell excellent waxed linen thread. I use it myself.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2020, 09:40:39 PM »
"Thanks for the thread source, too. I need a resupply, as I’m going to tailor a couple of shirts, and a hunting frock soon."

Hey Greg,  This is some nice thread at Lima Beads, but I am not too sure about using it on cloth.  All I am seeing on their website is waxed....great for leather, but maybe not for sewing textiles. This would be pretty stiff for that.  You may want to call them and see if they sell it in unwaxed.  I wouldn't go over 3 ply size, perhaps 2 ply would be better for cloth. 

I hope this helps!   God Bless,   Marc

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2020, 10:29:00 PM »
Thanks Marc.  I hadn’t researched their site yet, just assumed they sold unwaxed thread. That’s OK if they don’t, I have several other sources that do. 

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2020, 12:18:35 AM »
Now that is cool!  I like it.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline EricEwing

• https://www.ericewingmaker.com/
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2020, 02:31:35 AM »
I like the two-tone leather boot style motif, very creative idea 👍