Author Topic: Intro and short list advice on leather and horn?  (Read 2300 times)

Offline Oil Derek

Intro and short list advice on leather and horn?
« on: February 11, 2020, 08:24:09 PM »
Greetings ALR Members!

Latent spark & renewed interest in all things "flinters", having reached my Golden Age years. Of course many of you will consider me a pup at 60 yo. Haven't done anything since hunting with a Lyman GPR flint in the late 70's and early 80's.

I've been studying these forums, from A to Z, over the past two months. Visited Lowell Haarer and went to Lewisburg and Marrietta recently; whelmed to say the least! I plan to visit M. Wheland soon as he lives near a job site I'm doing inspections at. As a stop gap measure, I've ordered a Kibler Colonial .54 kit to be sent to C. Edwards for his handiwork. Should get me in the game by June or July.

Concerning "couterments", who should be on my short list for PC bags and horns, say 1760-1790 period? I've always been drawn to quality and form follows function.

Thanks for your patience.

Derek

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
Re: Intro and short list advice on leather and horn?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2020, 08:31:27 PM »
I think two of the best depending on what you're looking for are Eric Fleisher or James Rogers!!!!

Eric Fleisher ...http://www.efleishershotpouches.com/

James Rogers ......http://fowlingpiece.blogspot.com/

Mitch
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 08:35:31 PM by tallbear »

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2020, 08:49:54 PM »
Two great suggestions above. Also watch the classifieds here and at, the CLA website.

You have your time period, what would be your location of interest for that period? That would help determine what is correct for some things.

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2020, 10:01:45 PM »
Jim Kibler and Lowell Haarer? Nothing like starting at the top! I agree with watching ALR for a fine bag and horn. They show up fairly often. If any of the big shows are near you by all means go if you can. Lots to see and lots of knowledge.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Oil Derek

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2020, 10:37:39 PM »
Thank you Mitch and for the links. I've been to both of their sites, just fantastic looking work! So many here seem to do great leather, some without Web presence.

And Brokennock, never thought about the CLA classifieds, much appreciated. Given that I like iron hardware, I guess the Upper Virginia Valley area influence. Mostly interested in a moderately carved and lightly aged working rifle without too much "bling".

Muskrat, I appreciate your voice. Yes Lowell's builds are absolutely wonderful. Tough choice after meeting him, then A. Martin and M. Wheland at Lewisburg. Very engaging gentlemen who do topnotch work. I'm not schooled enough though to see subtleties.

Offline scottmc

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2020, 04:44:26 AM »
Theres another bag maker not mentioned that you should at least look at and consider.  In my eyes, he is making some of the best looking bags of anyone that I have seen.  Dont get me wrong though.  There are many that are extremely talented and I wish I could take my own making to their level but Lawrence Fiorillo from New York is one to check out.  He has a facebook page so go to facebook and just type black powder pouches and he should come up.  Lots of pictures of his work with many early styles.  He had a beautiful display at Lewisburg where I just stood and salivated for a bit.
Remember Paoli!

Offline Oil Derek

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2020, 06:15:03 AM »
Thank you Scottmc, I will check him out too. By the way, if I haven't got my wires crossed, your bags aren't shoddy looking either based on what I saw of J. Tebay's.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2020, 11:37:41 AM »
There are several excellent makers. For my taste, James Rogers, Lawrence Fiorillo, and Greg Hudson are all capable of making function, durable leather that is also high art. My dad and I sold fine, modern leather at shows for over 30 years, so I have some basis in understanding well done leather items.  I hope this helps. God bless, Marc

Offline Tilefish

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2020, 03:41:52 PM »
Also bill smith for bags and horns. Super nice guy.
Chad

Offline Oil Derek

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2020, 11:28:42 PM »
Marc, yes that does help, thanks for your perspective as a leather guy. I also like the work you have posted here.

Thanks Tilefish and for first mention on horns.

Offline Oil Derek

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2020, 11:32:04 PM »
Speaking of being in the business 30-40 years. Met a fellow from W. VA at Marrietta who had a table of bags.

Anyone hear of or know a Pat Davis?

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2020, 06:22:11 PM »
Depends on region as well as period. Sibley, Tim Crosby here on the forum, are my favorites for horns. High end English/Saddlery quality bags, James Rogers. Well used Colonial and Southern bags I’d have to say Joe Mills. Ken Scott and Eric Ewing are also top shelf.

Offline Oil Derek

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2020, 02:34:05 AM »
Depends on region as well as period. Sibley, Tim Crosby here on the forum, are my favorites for horns. High end English/Saddlery quality bags, James Rogers. Well used Colonial and Southern bags I’d have to say Joe Mills. Ken Scott and Eric Ewing are also top shelf.

Thank you Bob and for answering my other post.

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2020, 06:55:32 PM »
In addition to the above-mentioned excellent craftsmen, Lawrence Fiorillo makes outstanding bags. IIRC he won the Madison Grant award at Dixon’s 2019. Nice guy too but so are the rest!
Andover, Vermont

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2020, 09:12:23 PM »
Yep, we mentioned Lawrence above. What a nice and talented man. God bless, Marc

Offline Oil Derek

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2020, 09:15:07 PM »
In addition to the above-mentioned excellent craftsmen, Lawrence Fiorillo makes outstanding bags. IIRC he won the Madison Grant award at Dixon’s 2019. Nice guy too but so are the rest!

Thanks Rich, indeed, I have a small rifle bag coming in the mail from Lawrence as I type this.

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2020, 09:15:35 PM »
I’ve never had one of his bags but his display at CLA last year was full of great bags. Especially his ribbon winner and the other small bags he had. Great stuff.

Offline scottmc

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2020, 03:24:13 AM »
He just finished a bag for me that was paired with a left carry horn at his display in Lewisburg.  I don't like the buckle being on my front so he just made another bag exactly like the original with the buckle on my back wearing on the left side.  Really cool guy!
Remember Paoli!

chubby

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2020, 04:48:15 AM »
Maryellen Pratt & Tim Crosby are great as well!!!  Chubby :)