Author Topic: Engraving Advice  (Read 1046 times)

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
Engraving Advice
« on: February 12, 2020, 10:27:40 PM »
I've been practicing in the evenings on engraving.  I tried to do some wriggle work with a flat graver and need some advice.  I'm getting an interesting design but it's not what I'm after.  I'm using my wrist and moving the grave back and forth but I'm getting little scoops that look like a zipper instead of the lines.  Can anyone see from the pictures what I'm doing wrong?

« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 10:36:52 PM by Mike Lyons »

Offline smylee grouch

Re: Engraving Advice
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 11:36:40 PM »
I would have to guess but would it be because you arn,t raising the off side of the graver enough when you twist it forward?   :-\

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 12:01:33 AM »
You're probably right.  I'll have to play with it some more.  It cuts through like butter.  I might need to lighten up on the load I'm putting on the graver.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2020, 12:26:28 AM »
Your straight lines look straight to me and that is a good thing. I almost always have trouble with the straight lines. I need lots of practice on that.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2020, 01:53:37 AM »
Hi Mike,
I think Smylee is right, you need to lift the graver up more for the wriggle work.  Your lines look pretty good but let me give you some advice about practice.  Don't just cut lines and curves freehand.  Draw a design on the metal and follow it.  Mark border lines with a divider and cut them.  Then cut parallel lines to that border, then thick and thin.  The sooner you discipline your practice by cutting to a design, drawn line, or border the faster you will become a competent engraver.  Because I don't engrave every day and sometimes have a month between engraving episodes, I always cut a small practice plate before starting a new job to refresh my skills. I always do 3 things.  I cut a thick and thin border, I cut a perfect oval or circle, and I cut my name either in block letters or script.  That gets me back in the groove very quickly and off I go.  FYI, engraving a perfect circle or oval and a thick and thin border is more challenging than cutting Schipper's #1 design. 

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2020, 02:02:09 AM »
Thanks Smylee and Dave.  I really appreciate the advice.  A good practice routine is exactly what I need. 

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2020, 02:59:01 AM »
Thanks Dave for those tips. I too need a lot of practice and your approach makes sense.