Author Topic: Weird Wood  (Read 1028 times)

Offline flehto

Weird Wood
« on: February 13, 2020, 07:30:42 PM »
Shaped a plain maple blank to 80% done and w/ the bbl and lock inletted, was rasping the lock side  along the tang   when an 1/8" thick layer of wood popped up....it was slightly attached to the wrist. Promptly glued it and after 2 days started to rasp the same surface again, but this time a layer 1/4" thick popped up. I glued this and 2 days later started on the sideplate side of the tang and a layer 1/8" thick popped up and was glued.  Waited 3 days and started to rasp this same area and the same story....a layer 1/4" popped up.....the same thickness as the lock side. Pressed a chisel into  the wood adjacent to the breech and another layer below the lowest  glued seam popped up.

Not  willing to gamble w/ this stock because I might find other areas that had layers that popped up, the stock was used as kindling in my wood burner. I had forgotten who the supplier was and in all the following yrs of  building LRs , this was never repeated.  The LR that this stock was intended for was a Bucks County but seeing I didn't take orders and didn't depend on building for my livlihood, my schedule was of no consequence.

Anyone else ever encounter weird wood? Below is shown my so called  " backlog" at that time.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 07:34:01 PM by flehto »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Weird Wood
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 08:21:33 PM »
I am guessing a tree felled by wind that took a lot of strain before toppling over. Called the “shakes” I believe.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 08:32:33 PM »
Ring shakes or sometimes reffered to as wind shakes.  I believe it's a misconception that wind causes this defect.  I think the modern understanding is that it is caused by a bacteria.

Jim

Offline t.caster

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2020, 08:38:07 PM »
Never had that happen! I'll bet it was good firewood though! Haha
Tom C.

Offline 45-110

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2020, 10:14:11 PM »
I band sawed out a walnut rifle stock last year that was well seasoned and waxed. The next morning revealed separations in the butt, thought about gluing it but did not. Day 2 showed an even larger separation curling up. Luckily the supplier did an exchange for me. I could see no alarming issues before the sawing, just had hidden internal stress I guess.
kw