Author Topic: Wall Gun -- Wm Henry of Naz on lock  (Read 1947 times)

Offline spgordon

Wall Gun -- Wm Henry of Naz on lock
« on: January 27, 2020, 01:35:45 AM »
I wonder whether, despite my terrible photos, anybody has any thoughts about this gun. The label, as you can see, describes it as a "wall gun." It is exhibited by the Moravian Historical Society.

This gun must date to after 1780, when William Henry II (1757-1821) moved to Nazareth from Christiansbrunn. He worked as a gunsmith there (with the exception of the 1790s, when Moravian authorities required him to give him is work as gunsmith to work as a joiner, architect, etc.) until about 1815 or so.

A Johann Christian Miksch (1752-1823)--a blacksmith, who had also been at Christiansbrunn--settled in Nazareth in 1795. He went by "Christian," though, so the "J. Miksh" on the barrel may refer to Jacob Miksch, his son (1787-1878). I am pretty sure that Jacob Miksch was a blacksmith (the man who moves into Miksch's former home in 1833 continued to work from there as a blacksmith, and I believe his father, J. C. Miksch, had earlier worked as a blacksmith from the same structure.)

« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 02:16:14 AM by spgordon »
Check out: The Lost Village of Christian's Spring
https://christiansbrunn.web.lehigh.edu/
And: The Earliest Moravian Work in the Mid-Atlantic: A Guide
https://www.moravianhistory.org/product-page/moravian-activity-in-the-mid-atlantic-guidebook

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
Re: Wall Gun -- Wm Henry of Naz on lock
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2020, 02:18:17 AM »
It looks like the remnants of a wall gun to me, about .71 caliber, with the barrel heavily cut back, perhaps losing 50-60% of original length. Must have been cut at both ends, based on current location of the rear sight almost at the breech. Would like to know where the barrel is signed by Miksh. Barrel makers usually marked their barrels underneath, or on an oblique flat near the breech. Gunmakers usually marked their barrels on the top barrel flat...for easy reading and "advertising." If cut heavily at breech as it appears, I would think any barrel maker's mark would be lost...and perhaps any maker's mark. The crude stocking could well have been done by someone who worked primarily as a blacksmith.

What really puzzles me is why anyone would shorten a wall gun to this extent. It's still too heavy, too cumbersome, and too large a bore, for most later applications where old rifles were cut down to slaughter stock, etc., and are often referred to as "hog rifles." Most of the [few] wall guns I've seen are very plain guns, a basic tool for protection in a specific situation, otherwise with very limited usefulness. Shelby Gallien

Offline spgordon

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 02:38:10 AM »
Thank you for these thoughts!
https://www.moravianhistory.org/product-page/moravian-activity-in-the-mid-atlantic-guidebook

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2020, 06:49:22 PM »
 My supposition is the only reason to cut a long gun back to this degree, would be to utilize it in close quarters. This is the reason for cut down tradeguns in the arctic regions, and blunderbusses in many cases as well.

Hungry Horse

Offline spgordon

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2020, 08:05:20 PM »
Would like to know where the barrel is signed by Miksh. Barrel makers usually marked their barrels underneath, or on an oblique flat near the breech. Gunmakers usually marked their barrels on the top barrel flat...for easy reading and "advertising." If cut heavily at breech as it appears, I would think any barrel maker's mark would be lost...and perhaps any maker's mark. The crude stocking could well have been done by someone who worked primarily as a blacksmith.

Took this gun out of the case today--and photographed the Miksch signature on the top of the barrel (see two photos).

Interestingly, in addition to "MIKSH," the barrel also says "I M & Co." [Or J.M. & Co.] Not sure who the "& Co." was ...

« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 03:36:25 PM by spgordon »

Offline 120RIR

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2020, 12:40:24 AM »
I don't  know much about them but how about a whaling harpoon gun?  All I've seen are obviously later and in percussion though.  Just a thought.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2020, 04:19:00 PM »
As stated above its the remnants of a rifled wall gun.
it was surely shortened to lighten it since it likely weighed 30 pounds or more when in original service.
Its possible its not even the original stocking. since it would surely have had a buttplate since a gun this heavy not having a buttplate is a bad idea.
This rifle would have been capable of hitting man sized targets at 300 yards and perhaps at 500.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2020, 01:51:34 AM »
As stated above its the remnants of a rifled wall gun.
it was surely shortened to lighten it since it likely weighed 30 pounds or more when in original service.
Its possible its not even the original stocking. since it would surely have had a buttplate since a gun this heavy not having a buttplate is a bad idea.
This rifle would have been capable of hitting man sized targets at 300 yards and perhaps at 500.
Dan
Am curious as to why no butt plate would be a bad idea. I have seen numerous southern rifles with much lighter butt stocks, still in very good condition after years of hard use. Looks like a heavier stock would hold up much better.
Dennus
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson