Author Topic: Issue with my latest powder horn...  (Read 1840 times)

Offline Kary

Issue with my latest powder horn...
« on: February 05, 2020, 02:16:47 AM »
Hey all,
I started working on my latest horn a while back, only working on it when I have the time or inclination. Anyhow, I done some engrailing  and wasn’t too happy with it, so I filed it all off and was trying to decide wether  to start over and make another attempt to engrail or just do a plain horn at that point. Well I decide a simple straight forward horn would be the ticket. Anyhow hours of filing and sanding later I now have a soft spot in my horn where the engrailing  was supposed to be. The soft spot is due to the horn being so thin in that spot. Is there a way I can fix the soft spot? What have you guys done in the past to fix this?  Hate to waste all that time and effort just to throw the horn away.

Offline Kevin

Re: Issue with my latest powder horn...
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2020, 04:35:51 AM »
Greetings Kary,

There are old horns that ended up repaired by various means - rawhide patches, metal collars, or even joining the good part of the horn to another.

Madison Grant's "Powder Horns and Their Architecture" shows a number of such horns.  Maybe include a repair into the finishing of the horn?

If you do move forward with the horn please do share pics.

Kevin

Offline Kary

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2020, 05:39:33 AM »
Thanks Kevin for your response,  I have considered  doing a repair, I’m thinking on which one I want to represent. Being a novice Horner I need to get ahold of a few books like the one you describe.
Thanks!
Kary

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2020, 02:57:52 PM »
Blow down the spout.  If your ears pop or you go deaf, then the horn is sound. If you hear or feel air going through, then turn it into one of those horns the drunken geek always blows at night at Rendezvous.

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2020, 04:24:14 PM »
I would cover the entire body in rawhide and stain to my liking. If it’s super soft I’d cover that spot with a thin brass and rawhide the whole thing. Don’t try to be too perfect about it.

A perfect horn is a tinhorn.  ;)

Offline Kary

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2020, 09:58:53 PM »
Mr.Mcbride,
I like that! So you could give me a step by step process on doing the rawhide cover, such as where can I get it.. how to soften it enough to work with it.. and how to keep it from coming off. Do you glue it  in place?
Thanks,
Also... it is still air tight.. just soft in an area about the size of a quarter and I still need to finish sand it down some.

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2020, 11:01:37 PM »
Mr.Mcbride,
I like that! So you could give me a step by step process on doing the rawhide cover, such as where can I get it.. how to soften it enough to work with it.. and how to keep it from coming off. Do you glue it  in place?
Thanks,
Also... it is still air tight.. just soft in an area about the size of a quarter and I still need to finish sand it down some.

Member Doug Swartz (DougS) did the leather work on that horn, Jack Duprey did the pewter tip, etc. I'm sure Doug would be happy to give you an explaination on how he did it. PM him. Nice fellow.

Perfectly airtight. I believe he used glue. This one had a pin hole or two in the body.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 11:11:50 PM by Bob McBride »

Offline DougS

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2020, 11:18:35 PM »
Hi Kary,

Sending you a pm.

Bob, Thank you for the kind words.

My mom always made me be nice or I'd get hit!

Regards,

Doug

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2020, 12:07:40 AM »
Mr.Mcbride,
Thanks,

Not Bobby but I saw this and since I just wrote it up last month thought I'd post.  See if this helps.

Make a paper pattern, it will be cone shaped, that fits around the horn. Use it to cut a thin piece of rawhide that is a bit shorter than your pattern. Soak it in water until it is very flexible, wrap it around the horn and see how it fits, trim to fit, there should be a bit of a space between the ends because when you put it on the horn it is going to stretch a bit more. Stitch it together off the horn, you can butt stitch the ends but an over lap works well.
Once you have the cone made wet it again and slid it down on the horn, pull it down tight. As it dries it should tighten up but if you want you can smear a little glue on the inside before you put it one. Just make sure and wipe off the excess. If you want you can stain it before you put it on, strong Tea or Coffee works well on wet rawhide or you can stain it after it is on. Another option is to leave it as is and put Brown shoe polish on it and buff it after it dries. It should look like it is an old repair.
 I used Sheep rawhide, Tandy if you've got one close.
 Hope I covered everything, if not just ask. 

Tim C.

Here's a horn I made and put a patch on. I wanted it to look like a field repair.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 12:19:27 AM by Tim Crosby »

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2020, 01:34:56 AM »
If you don’t have a Tandy store nearby, check the rawhide dog “bones” at WalMart.  Soak in warm water until flexible, untie, unroll and there ya go.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2020, 01:50:23 AM »
If you don’t have a Tandy store nearby, check the rawhide dog “bones” at WalMart.  Soak in warm water until flexible, untie, unroll and there ya go.

-Ron

Very good idea. BTW, Ron, it was nice meeting you at the Cumberland show, if only briefly.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2020, 02:48:16 AM »
 No offence but some of them can be pretty thick, in the field it is more use what ya got. What is really neat to use is a  Deer leg or Squirrel skin that has been cut off like pealing a sock off, no stitching required.

Tim

Offline Kary

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2020, 03:09:44 AM »
I’ll do some looking for rawhide. I really like the squirrel hide idea but I just took my last bunch of squirrels before the season went out, maybe next year I’ll have the good fortune of hunting some more bushy tails and save the hides. I’ll post pictures when I get it done.. thanks guys!