Author Topic: My latest horn  (Read 776 times)

Offline Kary

My latest horn
« on: February 14, 2020, 09:27:29 PM »
Well I just finished this large horn. It is the one that had the soft spot in it. I pressed with my thumb as hard as I could it wouldn’t break... so I spose I’m go to go. I deliberated all night last night and decided to go ahead and finish after my grip test. I just took a grip test at work, it’s somthing we do from time to time and I could still grip at 125 lbs... which is the same as what I did when I hired in almost 20 years ago.  Anyhow, in the event that it would be dropped on a sharp edge and broke, then I would do a repair then. If I decide to sell it... then I’ll make it known that it has a thin spot. The thin spot is just above my thumb in the second photo. The architecture is a little off do to not being able to file anymore on the area.. I was truly afraid of ruining this horn!
Let  me know what you guys think.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 10:21:00 PM by Kary »

Offline Kevin

Re: My latest horn
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2020, 10:54:06 PM »
Kary,

Glad to see the finished horn.  It turned out looking very nice.  I envision using such a horn to go with a fowler that I have on order.

Kevin

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: My latest horn
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2020, 11:04:40 PM »
 Good start, the color came out really good. I think you will be surprised at how hard and durable horn is. When I do a horn making class the first thing I do is take a raw horn by the tip and whack it as hard as I can on the workbench or floor. Makes believers out of the doubters :)  They are addictive though you will get better and learn something with everyone.

Tim

PS: I have yet to have one crack but sooner or later it will hap[pen. TC