Author Topic: Vincent Engraving  (Read 1686 times)

Offline Scota4570

Vincent Engraving
« on: February 27, 2020, 12:25:44 AM »
 The patchbox I asked about a couple of days ago came out OK.  I am at the point where I can start engraving.   I can not find a photo of an original of sufficient quality to reproduce the engraving.  That includes the ones posted here.  The track plans lack detail on the question.   Anyone have a photo of appropriate engraving I can use as a general guide?

Offline hortonstn

Re: Vincent Engraving
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2020, 02:23:38 AM »
Scott
Trace the patch box and design your own you can always erase and redo just my opinion
Good luck

Offline Goo

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2020, 06:31:14 AM »
I am pretty sure there are a couple of vincents at the log cabin shop in Lodi OH .
Opinions are expensive. Rich people rarely if ever voice their opinion.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2020, 02:51:18 PM »
Hi,
Contact someone from the Ohio Gun Collectors Association.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2020, 06:20:39 PM »
The Log Cabin Shop has some Vincent rifles, but I'm not sure if that patchbox style is on any of their rifles, but I can check, as I plan on stopping over there on Saturday. Another source of information is found in volume 5 of the Association of Ohio Long Rifle Collectors, on page 105 there is a rifle with that style of patchbox and it is engraved, but the picture isn't all that great. A third source is to contact Campus Martius, in Marietta, Ohio. Bill Reynolds has a vast amount of knowledge and there is a healthy collection there, he may be able to guide you. You can visit the museum on the internet.

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2020, 07:13:42 PM »
I am in California.  I wish I could see those example in Ohio.   

To go OT I am planning my escape from California.  California is in full attack mode on the shooting sports, among other huge issues.  For now, Idaho is the top pick.  Tennessee is another one on the radar screen.  IT would be nice to be closer to the core of the ML/ long rifle community. 

Isn't there a book or Books dedicate to Ohio rifles and gun makers?  Maybe the 5 book set from the The Association of Ohio Long Rifle Collectors?  Does it have sufficient detail for my purposes. 

Offline ohidan

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2020, 07:55:10 PM »
Scott The rifle on page 105 in the AOLRC book is the one I sent you a copy of.
ohidan

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2020, 09:38:13 PM »
Scota,
The books from the Ohio Longrifle Collectors covers all the counties in Ohio and volume 5 has a large write up, with pictures, of the Vincent's and their rifles. I have them available. Contact me if you are interested.
Mark

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2020, 03:45:13 AM »
Here are some pictures of John Vincent and Caleb Vincent engraved patchboxes/capboxes. These are at the Log Cabin Shop. There is a Vincent in the ALR collection that sports a patchbox like the one you have installed. The trigger guard is engraved and to my eye looks very close to the pictures I am providing from the Log Cabin. I think if you manipulate your computer, you may enlarge the image from the ALR library to get a better view.

The first image is John Vincent's engraving, the other two are Caleb's.

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2020, 03:59:14 AM »
Thnak you, those are excellent pictures.  It appears that the pattern was used on multiple patchboxes.  It looks the same as the one I linked to earlier. 

The squiggle border???  I can now see from these photos is cut as a chain or similar arcs with a space in between?  They are then joined by similar arcs cut in the opposite direction to connect the chain up?   I was thinking the border was just snake tracks.  Good photos are important. 
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 04:05:37 AM by Scota4570 »