Author Topic: Eric Kettenburg  (Read 5606 times)

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
Re: Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2020, 06:07:14 PM »
Sick!  Been sick for days, nasty bug.  My wife, aka Typhoid Mary, works in the schools and is always bringing home invisible viral friends.  First time in 10 years one of them finally got me.

I was sure anyone would just assume I made it.  I've had this on my mind since my daughter and I took a trip through AZ and UT two years ago, finally needed to work it out of my system.  I love doing this kind of thing more than anything else, a chance to create a "new original" and tell a story with the piece itself.

I am very grateful for all of the kind commentary - thank you very much!
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2020, 06:44:58 PM »
You guys should know Eric is up to his old tricks ;)

I don't know what to think of this rifle.  First, I'm a huge fan of Eric's work in general.  When I first looked at this, I was put off a fair degree.  All the tacks the re-works etc...  But, I can say there's part of me that likes it and I certainly appreciate what spectacular workmanship this is.  I have to ask myself how I would view it different if it were an original.

In one way anything that pushes the limits and makes you think is a good thing.  There's been so much of the same thing done over the years.  Not that I would be responsible for anything like this happening ;D

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2020, 06:46:16 PM »
Where's Eric when you really need him :D

Tim

Smiling somewhere
Andover, Vermont

Offline Richard

• North of 54
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2020, 06:49:40 PM »
Outstanding work Eric. Hope your feeling better soon.
If I may a couple questions...
 - Is it intended to be fired? The muzzle patina in that last photo on the CMB is very realistic.
 - Did you repurpose any original components, or use all modern day material?

Richard

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2020, 06:52:23 PM »
Get well soon Eric. 

This thread alone says to me that you really cleared the back fence with that one.  I never was much on tacks-but like those.

Is it marked under the wood?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 06:57:23 PM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2020, 06:56:17 PM »
Amazing work as always.
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2020, 07:03:01 PM »

Is it marked under the wood?

If he did I hope it’s something like ‘EK MMXX’ with a traditional type barrel stamp....

Yep, get feeling better Eric

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2020, 09:32:56 PM »
Yes, it's marked underneath.  All someone would need to do it pull the lock at minimum, very simple.

The muzzle treatment is something I've been working up on these 'new originals,' and it is absolutely harmless to the bore.  It only extends a few inches down, just for effect, and can be removed without much ado if someone wants to shoot it.  No matter how much I age any of these up, they nevertheless are solid and fully functional.  On this one, I am also aging up a more appropriate nipple for use if shooting is intended; the nipple on it now is bashed and mushroomed too much for actual use, but can easily be changed out.

The triggerguard is a true antique and in fact is the actual guard that Reeves used as a pattern years ago to make his castings of this same guard.  It actually was partially cracked through the front post and repaired, but I wanted a stronger repair for actual use.  I know of two other original guards of the same pattern, with very similar bow engraving, but unfortunately not one of them has survived on a gun.  Reeves always listed these as 'Hudson Valley' but they're really a bit on the small side for a HVF.  I suspect they were being used on early to mid 18th century trade guns of some kind, probably German or Low Countries, but as yet I've not seen one on a complete surviving gun.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2020, 09:40:30 PM »
Hey Eric, Have you thought of posting a “follow-up” on Art’s blog?  Not everyone who reads that reads ALR. A few years from now, someone reading the blog might never know you made it, or that your backstory isn’t real.  Just thinking ahead.  Clearly you scored a home run with all here who had the wool pulled over their eyes....me included. That is some amazing work. Keep it going good sir. God bless, Marc

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2020, 11:04:43 PM »
 Hope your getting better, I've been hiding out here in the shop, using Zicam and warring surgical masks when I do go out, especially to the grocery. 
 The rifle is Great, I thought it your work when I first saw it on the "Blog". I like the idea of seeing one age as it passes through different hands and locations.

Tim

Offline vanu

« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2020, 11:32:21 PM »
Regarding the muzzle aging; a few years ago i owned a rifle by Jack Brooks, signed and dated 1987, without that it would have passed for 1760-1770 (RCA 21&22), anyway the muzzle was aged just as Eric has done. I was able to hit a paper plate at 75 yards with that .62 rifle all day long off handed; doubt you'd get a ragged hole 5-shot string off a bench, but worked well for hunting, in-fact Rick Guthrie bagged 6-8 deer with that gun and Jack told me that it was his personal hunting rifle for years. I guess the take-away you can have your aged look and function at the same time.

Bruce

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2020, 07:18:40 AM »
I'm speechless. 

Amazing work.