Author Topic: Everything Just Changed  (Read 4561 times)

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
Re: Everything Just Changed
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2020, 09:22:03 PM »
Mike...........I'd think about giving up if I thought I was hurting my good eye. My right eye went blind for glaucoma. My left eye is fine except for a slight cataract. The danger is operating to remove the cataract. Nobody will do it, so there's no danger. I just have to live with the vision. I'm ok. I just need to get even closer than I used to do. More challenge is more fun.

Thanks for your post buddy.

Walkingeagle

« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2020, 05:35:31 PM »
I suspect there were plenty of times when a muzzle on a Hawken type rifle was damaged and required being cut off in order to keep the gun shooting back in the period. Why not shorten your .54 and make it work for you? I shoot a 1” octagon .54 cal percussion 26” barrel and find it most comfortable for hunting. Its an old TC Renegade barrel I used on a self build “poor boy” plains rifle. That .530 ball still hits with all the authority required to take anything in N. America!
Walk

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2020, 05:06:35 PM »
I wouldn't do that. The gun has some history and I wouldn't ruin it because I can't handle it the way it is. I didn't buy this gun. I went to a lighter gun.

Which is the reason for my lack of posts now and in the future.

Walkingeagle

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2020, 06:03:55 PM »
Glad to hear you will still be hunting. Makes no nevermind to me what gun design you’ve chosen. The joy and pleasure is within the hunt itself, the experience within the soul, the feel of a cool morning or the warm sunshine on ones face, that distinct smell which comes with the season, and the laughter only true friends can share.
Whatever it takes, keep on getting out there!
Walk

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2020, 06:10:29 PM »
Glad to hear you will still be hunting. Makes no nevermind to me what gun design you’ve chosen. The joy and pleasure is within the hunt itself, the experience within the soul, the feel of a cool morning or the warm sunshine on ones face, that distinct smell which comes with the season, and the laughter only true friends can share.
Whatever it takes, keep on getting out there!
Walk

Amen. And seeing nature wake up like life rarely lets us anymore.

Offline General

« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2020, 07:13:53 PM »
  As we all age, we have to make adjustments to carry on.  Myself, I can't even get out and hike the hills anymore.  Too many scars on my back but I still enjoy shooting.  You can creep through the woods with whatever works for you while I will shoot targets.  Keep on trucking my friend, no matter what. :)
Best Wishes to all
                  George Patton

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2020, 08:45:52 PM »
I did decide to make some changes to just make me feel better.

So, i'm back to using the modern muzzleloader. It has a blued barrel. It came with a black plastic stock. I'm replacing it with a Boyds walnut stock. Scope is off and peep sight is on. No modern powder or bullets. I'll be using Goex 2F and a heavy all lead conical. I'll use the breech plug that uses a muskat cap instead of the present 209 primer.

That's as close as I can get to being traditional. Of course i'll use my normal old school still hunting method with no gadgets to help the hunt. Just my gun and boots. I'll probably stick to hunting for black bear. Since the season is from Sept 2-30 instead of the normal 9 day hunts for deer and elk. There's nothing more fun than hunting the rocky mountains in Sept.  ;D

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2020, 08:55:49 PM »
I'll be using these. They should give a bear a good poke.

https://www.muzzleloading-bullets.com/product/50-caliber-420-grains/

Walkingeagle

« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2020, 12:16:07 AM »
No worries sir, that’ll do it for sure!!
For the record, a good clean black bear (berry and/or clover fed, not baited, salmon or garbage) is some of the most delicious meat you will eat. As well the fat rendered makes pastries to die for. Black bear is a great hunt!
Walk

Offline Daryl

« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2020, 07:36:58 AM »
I'll be using these. They should give a bear a good poke.

https://www.muzzleloading-bullets.com/product/50-caliber-420-grains/

With a fast twist barrel, I can understand the requirement for elongated projectiles.
I also would choose the 420gr. - or even 350gr. if they made it, although appears not.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V