Author Topic: Patch holder  (Read 2277 times)

Offline MuskratMike

Patch holder
« on: February 16, 2020, 08:58:52 PM »
Sometimes the simplest ideas are the best ideas. At a shoot yesterday I saw this hanging from a gentelmans bag. If you precut and oil your patches some put them in the patchbox, some put them in a tin, some leave them loose in the bag and I have seen some hang them from a wire on their bag. This seems to be the best idea yet. Just oil them or leave dry if spit patching, fold over and insert. Going to make a couple and try them out.
the "Muskrat's" idea of the day.

"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
Re: Patch holder
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2020, 09:08:17 PM »
Looks like a harmonica reed. I think you name it the “Dylan Patch Dispenser”

BTW I’ll get your books out Tuesday. Still loaded up with hydrocodone and bed bound for a few days yet.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2020, 11:35:33 PM »
Interesting, Mike, especially if dry.  Running a needle & thread (heavy) through a stack of precuts, then tying a not on one end and the other on your bag's strap,
gives you a stack of pre-cuts you just pull the bottom one off, over the knot. Couple guys at our club do this.

I usually lube my patches as I've pretty much run out of spit, these days. The lubed pre-cuts are kept in tins like a Sucrets tin, or the ones Track sells as snuff or
tinder boxes. The 2 3/4" round tins are really nice for this. I do also have 2 of the hinged tins, though, like the 2 at the top and 2 at the bottom of the page.

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/23/1

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Top

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2020, 12:08:20 AM »
Really interesting patch holder. What is it made of?

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2020, 01:16:11 AM »
Looks like a harmonica reed. I think you name it the “Dylan Patch Dispenser”

BTW I’ll get your books out Tuesday. Still loaded up with hydrocodone and bed bound for a few days yet.

Ought to be careful because a strong gust might have those patches “blowin’ in the wind”! :D

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2020, 01:21:50 AM »
Top: it is made of leather. From the looks he punched a series of holes to make the slots. The patches are folded in half and fit tightly so no chance of blowing out.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline John SMOthermon

• John SMOthermon
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2020, 01:45:37 AM »
I like it MM,

But I’d have patch lube on my shirt, right by the bacon grease.......

Now there’s a thought! Bacon Grease Lube! Thanks
Smo

Good Luck & Good Shootin'

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2020, 05:52:34 AM »
I pre-soak a length of linen patching in deer tallow, and when dry, cut it nearly through into square patches.

These hang in a length from my pouch by an iron hook, (bit like a fish -hook) Very easy to tear one off, and square patches shoot as good as round.

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2020, 06:24:09 AM »
Being a muzzle cutter, I slit a ribbon of lubed patch material at one end and hang it from a shirt button at muzzle height.
Mike Lee

Offline steven baker

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2020, 10:19:42 AM »
Hi Muskrat guess what I am going to make next?
Just like yours, take care Steven.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2020, 03:55:00 PM »
I do the same as what Daryl described re the knotted string .  I carry a small eyeglass washer pump/spray bottle of lube
in my pocket.  This is for trail walks or small game hunting. Otherwise, if not using paper cartridges [ small bore ] when hunting, I have a small container as shown for lubed patches. The flip type lid is a lot easier to use than the usual 2 piece can and lid

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2020, 07:21:11 PM »
Top: it is made of leather. From the looks he punched a series of holes to make the slots. The patches are folded in half and fit tightly so no chance of blowing out.

It was a poor attempt at another Bob Dylan reference LOL

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2020, 09:44:57 PM »

It was a poor attempt at another Bob Dylan reference LOL

I totally missed that.  ;D Clever. I’m a bit slow until I’ve had 8 cups of coffee. Which I never have.