Author Topic: Educate me on this hide  (Read 2170 times)

Offline Nordnecker

Educate me on this hide
« on: February 19, 2020, 10:35:16 PM »
This was given to me so I don't know what it is or what it's good for. It has a brand on it.  It's soft and stretchy.  It's dirty from laying over a chair. Can it be cleaned? How? Any thoughts welcome.

"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline Marcruger

Re: Educate me on this hide
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2020, 11:39:43 PM »
Soft and stretchy? Could be buckskin. Useful in bag making if laminated to something that doesn’t stretch. That’s my opinion at least. God bless, Marc

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2020, 11:57:26 PM »
It's a commercially garment tanned hide.  Mostly used for jackets, gloves, etc.  The markings are usually to keep a person's hides together when they send several in for tanning.  Looks a little thick for deer, but might be an old muley.  I have made bags from it, but usually line them with something.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2020, 04:10:56 AM »
Thanks, Guys.
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2020, 11:37:23 PM »
If it is garment tanned it may very will be chrome tanned. Hard to tell. If it is chrome tanned it will still contain chrome salts in the leather which can react with and damage any metal items that come in contact with it for any length of time.

Lining it would be a good idea... And as Marc stated, will make it easier to cut and sew.

Mike

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2020, 01:55:21 AM »
Q: Could a person test the chrome-tanned aspect by putting a bit of brass into contact with it for a while and look for green?  Or am I barking up the wrong bush? Maybe there's an easier way to test.
Hold to the Wind

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2020, 02:10:57 AM »
That's a good question Wade.

I don't know of any way to  check for sure... There may indeed be a definitive way to check but i haven't researched it enough to know.

Guess I'll Google it and see what I can find.

Mike

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2020, 02:21:15 AM »
This might help...

https://www.carryology.com/bags/identify-superior-leather-oppermann-london/

I guess I fibbed in my previous post... Seems like I may have known about the boiling water test at one time and just plain forgot... Imagine that. Lol

Mike

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2020, 04:07:39 AM »
Cut a sliver off the edge and see if its grey in the interior

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2020, 03:43:14 PM »
^ It's been cut in a few places. There is no grey line in the middle. I looked at another leather item and could see the grey line you are talking about. I've never given much thought to leather- only ever made a few things of leather all given to me by other people.
Just looking at on-line descriptions/ pictures and such, I think this is probably buckskin. It really is soft and stretchy and quite yellow.
I've had leather that holds its shape after being wetted, and other that won't. I've definately seen leather that would turn brass green and corrode metal.
I've been wanting a new bag for a while. I guess I'll be ordering T.C.Albert's book.

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2020, 06:24:50 PM »
You won’t go wrong with T.C.’s book...it’s a great place to start!

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2020, 03:01:36 PM »
Forgot to mention- this hide is 5 feet long and 4 feet wide if that is an indication of what it might be.
What does the grey line in the middle of a hide mean?

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2020, 01:46:36 PM »
Forgot to mention- this hide is 5 feet long and 4 feet wide if that is an indication of what it might be.
What does the grey line in the middle of a hide mean?

It means it was chrome tanned and will react/damage metal.

Mike