Author Topic: TARGETS  (Read 3017 times)

Offline RVAH-7

TARGETS
« on: February 20, 2020, 07:17:06 AM »
The darkening ominous clouds had held their fire admirably well as we concentrated on finishing the trail walk of the annual Spring Shoot. The sky began to perspire or leak as we completed the last gong and turned in our scores.
The soft, light rain on the overhead canvas while I swabbed the blackish filth from the swamped barrel's interior was hardly noticed as I alternated a couple patches or tow with casual sips of steaming black coffee; a relaxing way to do my chores leisurely, no clock or calendar hanging on any nearby tree.
Recalling the variety of targets or should I say "challenges" experienced at various rendezvous, trail walks, spontaneous "friendly wagers" or simple blanket shoots of 4 or 5 "front stuffers", I realized that for me, a large slice of the blackpowder apprenticeship(which is a lifelong endeavor to strive for Journeyman status), is the laughter, hoots, ribbing, howls, facial expressions, snickers, coughs and worst of all: painful silence.
Personally, (and choosing my words carefully now) I have shot AT, and occasionally connected on Cheetos skewered with toothpicks erected in the crack of a log, lifesavers on string, retired steel gas cylinders, log chain paralleling a tree trunk in vertical motion thanks to an overhead pulley and someone's rope, charcoal briquets, ice cubes, potatoes, eggs, grapes, cucumbers, farm tractor steering wheels, corn cobs, mason jar lids spinning in the breeze on string, orange re-bar, lollipops, spider rings from rubber-tired skidder chains, saltine crackers, whitepine cones, wind-fall apples, 8" well casing, saw blades, candle flames in the dark, wooden stakes, ketchup packets that bleed, paper playing cards before they went plastic, baggies of flour, a blaze on a dead tree trunk, inside the loop of a pretzel, the hollow end of a pipe, purple blossoms on Canadian thistles, marshmallows, turkey tail feathers, thumb tacks, Oreos, dynamite (those fun times are gone!), bowling pins, balloons, aluminum cans of water, various scrap metal gongs, wooden turtles on a log, and as I pause to remember more examples, I pity those who only experience round holes in paper.

I enjoy viewing the forum topics "let's see your squirrel rifle" and  ..."your Hawken", etc., so how about sharing YOUR  novelty targets so other groups can expand their inventory to draw from??

Offline John SMOthermon

• John SMOthermon
Re: TARGETS
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2020, 05:59:56 PM »

Rabbit knock down thru the hole in the log...one of my favs!

« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 06:31:07 PM by John SMOthermon »
Smo

Good Luck & Good Shootin'

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2020, 06:24:26 PM »

My pistol range. Mostly AR500 and bowling pins. I shoot spent brass with the small caliber stuff and watermelons with the big and mostly anything that will stand up and flip up in the air when I hit it.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 06:28:06 PM by Bob McBride »

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2020, 08:05:10 PM »
Now you boys are having way too much fun. Bob that settles it I am coming out and shooting with you. Short Mountain Tenn is just a short drive from Oregon ain't it? I lost my globe. Details to be worked out.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2020, 08:44:41 PM »
Now you boys are having way too much fun. Bob that settles it I am coming out and shooting with you. Short Mountain Tenn is just a short drive from Oregon ain't it? I lost my globe. Details to be worked out.

Come on, and yep, a short drive. Galacticaly speaking....

Offline Daryl

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2020, 09:42:38 PM »
Playing cards, set in a saw cut in a 2x4 make great targets if set at 15 or 20 yards. They make good wall display in the shop.
Can't see the sights well enough, any more, let alone the card's edge.

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2020, 09:53:57 PM »
Seeing the cards well enough to shoot is one thing hitting them is another! Nice.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline John SMOthermon

• John SMOthermon
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2020, 02:32:18 AM »
I still think the turkey quill at 18 -25 yards is the hardest to clean.... Of course deducting points for hitting the wood.

And being able too see is a plus... which I have issues with at times.

Smo

Good Luck & Good Shootin'

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2020, 03:26:29 AM »
Playing cards, set in a saw cut in a 2x4 make great targets if set at 15 or 20 yards. They make good wall display in the shop.
Can't see the sights well enough, any more, let alone the card's edge.

that's when a 4-bore really shines.  Just line that bbl up and try not to break the board.  ;D
Hold to the Wind

Offline Daryl

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2020, 04:20:26 AM »
See the ace right in the middle? That's what happens if you don't hit the card with the centre of the ball. The card moves and you don't get 2 pieces, which is needed to score.
I think I got just as many with the .40 as with the .69 and 20 (.62) bore smoothie.
Daryl

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2020, 04:59:52 AM »
I don't think the title "Journeyman" is one that's earned by attending competitive shoots. And I also believe many of our true "Journeymen" don't seek that title and may operate completely unknown by most shooters.
But I guess it really depends on who's looking.

American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2020, 05:16:03 AM »
We have tried many different targets and usually pair the reactive matches with a paper match or two to start. It gives the shooters a chance to have a look at where their shots are actually going.  Surprisingly, there are often those who don't !     Wooden matches set in 2 x 4's,  playing cards,  Dandelions , golf tees with paint balls resting on them,  cut a dowel in half, animal crackers , golf tees with eggs and a gummy bear [  penalty for hitting the egg ]  and my neighbour's favourite ;  pumpkins with tanerite inside as a grand finally.     That's how we know he's done shooting for the day  :)

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2020, 04:16:10 PM »
I still think the turkey quill at 18 -25 yards is the hardest to clean.... Of course deducting points for hitting the wood.

And being able too see is a plus... which I have issues with at times.

If you can see ‘em you won’t cut across the whole card very often.  Believe it. Oh unless your shooting a LARGE BORE.
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2020, 08:20:54 PM »
With a playing card or a string cut, you have to hit the target with the centre of the ball.  Otherwise, the target moves out of the way, and you don't get a complete cut, no matter the ball's diameter.  ...like playing billiards.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2020, 11:52:31 PM »
There's a trick to cutting playing cards completely in half; but I just never figured it out.  ???
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Bull Shannon

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2020, 12:10:30 PM »
I've shot at (notice I didn't say "hit") most of the aforementioned targets but when I was doing the CAS thing, one stage included our entire team to all stand at the shooting line and shoot at a landscaping timber until such time as our ammo ran out or the timber was severed. The gamers who shot pipsqeak calibers were usually apologizing to the folks who used .44 on up.
I will add to the list of targets on the woods walk is the hawk shot where there are flat birds on either side of the hawk blade. To get a point you've got to break both birds by splitting the ball on the edge. Folks using anything less that a .54 usually didn't score.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 07:42:41 AM by Bull Shannon »
You can't kill a man who is born to hang!

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2020, 02:52:44 PM »
All well and good, but it will be the 16" gong our empty Barbecue Propane tank at 25 yards that you'll miss....

Offline trentOH

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2020, 07:44:41 AM »
Last year at Friendship I introduced smaller steel targets for pistols and small caliber rifles. I also hung golf balls from a string attached to a board. The idea is to cut the string so the ball drops. Ideally, it rolls down a small hill to your feet, and you have your souvenir.
In 2020 we hope to see the return of some center-clanger targets which had been hanging for so many years they were broken or dished out from so many hits. There will also be poker chips to blast to smithereens, hanging from a string. And hopefully a net strung behind the playing cards, to catch the cut cards that are sometimes blowing into the dry creek bed behind the target. (Sometimes, not-so-dry).
And maybe a couple surprises, depending on timing, finances, how well my knees hold up to walking.

Offline Don Steele

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2020, 01:19:45 PM »
Thanks Trent. Your efforts to keep the Woodswalk interesting are appreciated. Particularly by those living too far away to get up there and give you a hand.
Recently, some of us were discussing our club's upcoming "novelty shoot". There was a consensus that for it to be enjoyable...there has to be enough targets that most folks can hit with a few really tough ones mixed in that will separate the top shooters from the rest. It's a challenge to make the course interesting and fun for all. Not too easy, but not so difficult that you come away with a scorecard full of misses. That's not much fun, and at the end of the day...FUN is why most of us are here.  Building in a little bit of "blind luck" can make it fun as well. Balloons that blow around in the breeze adds a certain "luck factor" to each shot and keeps it interesting.
Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Offline Daryl

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2020, 09:14:25 PM »
Last year at Friendship I introduced smaller steel targets for pistols and small caliber rifles. I also hung golf balls from a string attached to a board. The idea is to cut the string so the ball drops. Ideally, it rolls down a small hill to your feet, and you have your souvenir.

Here, they'd just drop into the snow, most times of the year.  ;)
Sounds like a fun target.
Daryl