Author Topic: .32 Cal. long rifle  (Read 2038 times)

koval

.32 Cal. long rifle
« on: February 25, 2020, 06:35:42 PM »
Last weekend I was working at the Shrine Sportsman's Show in Delaware and saw a nice squirrel rifle. To make a long story short at the end of the show it was still there, and it followed me home. Upon closer examination I saw the barrel was marked. "W.M. large for Jim coon  little @$#% death wind and under Mr. Large's name the numbers 50-352" I saw posts from 2015 that mentioned Mr. Large but would anyone know about this rifle. And if it was made by Mr. Large or Mr. coon ? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Offline MuskratMike

Re: .32 Cal. long rifle
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 07:49:47 PM »
Pictures always help, both of the rifle and the barrel.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Kevin

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 08:54:14 PM »
Greetings Koval,

Welcome to the forum.  Bill Large was a maker of fine ML rifle barrels at least as early as the 1960s.  There are numerous posts in here about him and his barrels.  Grab the Search box in the upper right corner and search for "Bill Large."  That should turn up some posts to get you started.

I think I have seen the other name, Jim Coon, in a publication or in a captioned photo.  I'll have to thumb through a couple items on the bookshelves at home.

All for now,
Kevin

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 08:54:23 PM »
"W.M. large for Jim coon  And if it was made by Mr. Large or Mr. coon ? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance

I'll take a stab at that.
 (Made by) Bill Large for Jim Coon. I assume it has a .352" groove diameter and a 50" twist making it a loose or large .32 or tight .33 at .328" with.
 If having a .352" bore, it is a tight .36 - actually a .35 calibre. You will have to measure it to find out for sure.
If a .328" bore, then a .319" Lee mould will suffice. If a .352" bore, then a .345" ball would work for most people, however that is an odd size and likely
a custom proposition. I would, however use a .350" ball (RCBS mould) and never look back. The small calibres are easy loading.
Powder charge will vary from 20gr. to 40gr. depending on what the gun (or you) wants.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline diamante

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2020, 02:23:51 AM »
Bill Large not only made excellent barrels he was also one of the original founders of the NMLRA in the 1930’s. I was fortunate to live just a few miles from his shop and I visited it on numerous occasions. He was a very unique individual.

Offline Kevin

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2020, 04:11:40 AM »

I think I have seen the other name, Jim Coon, in a publication or in a captioned photo.  I'll have to thumb through a couple items on the bookshelves at home.

In John Baird's "Fifteen Years in the Hawken Lode" (published in 1971) there is a photo with the following caption:

"Jim Coon, of Lima, Ohio, is typical of buckskinners about the country, as he poses here with a Hawken rifle, while dressed in all the regalia of a 'mountain man'."

Isn't it odd what bits and pieces of information is stuck in the back corners of one's brain?

Take Care,
Kevin

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2020, 04:26:33 PM »
 WOW! Kevin, that's impressive.

Tim

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2020, 05:41:10 PM »
Jim and Dorothy Coon were from Lima,Ohio I think.Both are long deceased and were
early members of the NMLRA after the purchase of property at Friendship,Imdiana.
I knew both of them and made a few lcks for Jim.Bill Large was 14 miles from me and I was
in his shop almost as much as my own.Learned much from him and he was a willing teacher
but only to those who WANTED to learn.NONE of his grandsons were interested.I knew E.M.Farris
as well as C.R. (bull) Ramsey who were also founding members of the NMLRA. Ramsey passed
away in 1960 or 1961.
Daryl may be right about the numbers on the barrel and it's for sure Jim Coon was real.
Bob Roller