Author Topic: Mountain Rifle Barrel  (Read 5220 times)

Offline louieparker

Mountain Rifle Barrel
« on: February 25, 2020, 08:26:24 PM »
I have never attempted to  forge a barrel. Never had the proper equipment or I might have attempted it.  Most forged barrels  were ground or filed  flat..  This barrel was shaped by the hammer only and never filed.. This was done by some unknown East Tenn mountain gunsmith.. Not a bad look for a mountain rifle.......LP

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
Re: Mountain Rifle Barrel
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 08:43:16 PM »
Now that barrel has character!

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Kevin

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 08:44:26 PM »
Louieparker,

This is neat to see.  Thanks for posting the photo.  I've seen them unfinished on the bottom three flats but this is the first one all the way around.

Kevin

Offline tooguns

• I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 09:56:38 PM »
Like "Old Scaley" built by Enoch Hardin.
It is best to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove any and all doubt....

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2020, 10:37:27 PM »
 :D :D :D... Louie, you really know how to make me covet,...!!!... "tooguns" beat me to it,... I know you must have examined "Old Scaley" when Jerry would bring her to the Knoxville show,... my problem is that I cannot convince him that she wants to move back to Tennessee,... !!!....bring this one to Knoxville,.. I want to visit with her,... !!!... regards,... Cades Cove Fiddler,...

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2020, 11:05:11 PM »
They probably just draw-filed the side flats. Or were not persnickety about things at all!
Andover, Vermont

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2020, 11:26:55 PM »
Could be that the felllow that made this one was a real artisan and left it this way to 'show off' a bit. No one else was quite as good as he was
and unfiled as it is stands it is, a great barrel made in the old way.
Dick

Offline louieparker

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2020, 12:14:49 AM »
Rich the sides were not filed.. But I think he was rather persnickety with the rest of the rifle.. Which we wouldn't expect looking at the barrel today.....LP

Offline Longknife

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2020, 01:39:50 AM »
Louie, Surely you are going to show us more!!!!!????? ;)
Ed Hamberg

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2020, 01:58:14 AM »
Reminds me of a couple of makers in southeastern Kentucky...with TN roots...who hammered out "finished" barrels. John Shell of Leslie County is probably the best known KY maker who left his barrels with hammer marks on all flats...no filing on any flats. After years of not wanting such an "ugly" rifle, I finally purchased Jerry Noble's signed John Shell rifle with the great barrel inscription down at Mel's show at Lake Cumberland a couple of weeks ago. It demonstrates a significant part of KY's early gunmaking in remote areas where there was no cash...mostly barter...and even percussion locks were still being made by the gunsmith until the mid-1800s since there was no money for "store bought" parts. Fascinating rifle that accurately reflects the pervasive poverty of KY's early Cumberland Plateau region and its frugal Scots-Irish hill people...even if basically a "stick with a barrel." Shelby Gallien
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 02:08:21 AM by Tanselman »

Offline louieparker

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2020, 03:10:21 AM »
Longknife... I think I have posted  some photos of this rifle at some point..So every one has probably seen it..  But  I will redo it tomorrow.
 So if by chance the Cades Cove Fiddler hasn't seen it he won't loose sleep tonight thinking about it..He seems to really get worked up over these old rusty mountain rifles.  This is a classic mountain rifle and he might not be able to stand the stain!...LP

Offline louieparker

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2020, 07:30:25 PM »
This is the rifle that has the hammer marked barrel. The Fiddler and I have about the same feelings for these old mountain rifles. We both get a bit excited when we see a good example. I am probably a wee bit biased but to me this rifle has all the characteristics that make an East Tn mountain rifle. From the poured chevron nose cap to the cigar shaped patch box and over the comb barrel tang. The deep curved rear trigger and shape of the lock bolt plate.  It's unsigned.. LP

Online Dave Marsh

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2020, 07:46:14 PM »
That is one fine gun.  She is a beauty.  Thanks for posting.  8)

Dave
"Those who give up freedom for security deserve neither freedom nor security."
~ Benjamin Franklin

Offline louieparker

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2020, 10:32:58 PM »
Shelby welcome to the club ! You have seen the light.... LP

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2020, 12:13:45 AM »
Beautiful lines - but I have to keep telling myself that large lock panels are OK on this type of rifle. Guess I've been brainwashed!
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline scottmc

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2020, 02:56:29 AM »
Louie, you and the CCF aren't the only ones that get your neck hairs bristled when they see a mountain rifle.  I'm way up here in southeastern PA and I get all shook up.  That is a beauty and it's almost a crime that the maker didn't indicate to us who he was.  Sure looks Unicoi to me.  Great find and thanks for sharing with us.  By the way, do u have a close up of that pewter nosecap?
Remember Paoli!

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2020, 07:33:45 PM »
 :o :o :o... Thanx for the photos, Louie,... !!!... I can now sleep and dream peacefully tonight,... !!!.... I did some back-research and remember now reading this post of June 5-7, 2010, titled, "A Darn-Tootin Nice Tennessee Rifle",... all specs for this gun are listed in your post there,.. I didn't realize at that time that the barrel was in "as-forged" condition...adds to her charm, in my opinion,... !!!... she really does exemplify everything you want in a fine example of a "Tennessee Rifle",... I do hope that Randal has photos of her for his upcoming new book,... she should be on the cover,... !!! ... Do bring her to Knoxville,.. she & I need to visit,.... Thanx again,.... regards... CCF...

Offline louieparker

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2020, 09:03:09 PM »
Fiddler I don't recall that post. But my memory has a few problems. No Randal has not photographed this rifle .. But he did a Gross or two.
CCF your comment on "covet" reminds me of an old friend, He would say "I know the Bible tells you not to covet,but I sure would like to have that rifle !"

Scottmac....Glad you liked the rifle, CCF and I think you have good taste,,Sorry I don't have photos of the nose cap. Things around here  are not good for photo work right now..

Robert just tell yourself that you are looking at Tenn. Mountain rifle and not a Bedford County. The wide border with a completely flat bottom (across the trigger guard front finial )  is very common on these rifles,

Offline Collector

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2020, 03:00:48 AM »
:o :o :o... Thanx for the photos, Louie,... !!!... I can now sleep and dream peacefully tonight,... !!!.... I did some back-research and remember now reading this post of June 5-7, 2010, titled, "A Darn-Tootin Nice Tennessee Rifle",... all specs for this gun are listed in your post there,.. I didn't realize at that time that the barrel was in "as-forged" condition...adds to her charm, in my opinion,... !!!... she really does exemplify everything you want in a fine example of a "Tennessee Rifle",... I do hope that Randal has photos of her for his upcoming new book,... she should be on the cover,... !!! ... Do bring her to Knoxville,.. she & I need to visit,.... Thanx again,.... regards... CCF...

Would you kindly post a 'link' to that June 5-7, 2010 post? 

Even someone with a preference for the transitional and early PA schools can 'cross-over' to appreciate the lines and workmanship apparent in this longrifle.  This rifle was loved...

Offline louieparker

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2020, 04:17:48 AM »
Collector this I hope will get you there.....LP  https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=10720.msg101907#msg101907 

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2020, 08:00:05 AM »
 8) 8)... Thanx, Louie,... your post with specs is about 19 posts down from the top,... I'm still coveting.... !!!!... will ask my maker for forgiveness later,.... CCF...

Offline mountainad82

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2020, 01:14:58 AM »
Fantastic rifle Mr. Parker! I recently acquired a McInturff rifle with a similar “as forged” barrel. Had never seen another like it until now.

-Adam Wright

Offline louieparker

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2020, 02:28:30 AM »
Adam thanks for the photos..  Not too many around like that.. Now The Fiddler will be wanting to see more than 12 inches of barrel.., So you should  post some photos of the rifle.  LP

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2020, 04:35:08 PM »
 ;D ;D... now, ... you're right, Louie,... !!!... I think Mr. Parker wants more photos too, Adam,.. !!!.... Start a new post and satisfy our craving,... !!!.... is she marked by Isreal McInturff,...??? ... nice one,.... CCF

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2020, 05:50:36 PM »
Dana, when I blow the picture up, it looks to me (from this angle) like a lightly struck “L M”.  Of course, it could be an “I” as well...only closer inspection will tell. (In other words, more pictures, Adam, PLEASE!)

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson