Author Topic: Ohio Rifle? Is it old or contemporary?  (Read 3825 times)

Offline scottmc

Ohio Rifle? Is it old or contemporary?
« on: February 27, 2020, 02:34:18 AM »
I was at the range today and one of our members came in to shoot a rifle.  He said the person he bought it fro said it was built by the Vincent's.  I didnt see any evidence of that but it did have a signed barrel and lock.  Is this an Ohio gun and does anyone recognize the signature on the lock and barrel which are the same?  A very neat, interesting hammer.

Remember Paoli!

Offline scottmc

Re: Ohio Rifle? Is it old or contemporary?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2020, 02:39:37 AM »
The wood looked to nice to me to be original as the checkering was crisp.  The caliber is about .38 since he was shooting .38 ball with a 10 thousandths patch.
Remember Paoli!

Offline EC121

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2020, 02:45:52 AM »
That rifle sold last April at www.PookandPook.com.   $976.  It sold for an original with provenance.  Didn't Say anything about he Vincents just W.B.K.J.  If that isn't it it, is a twin.
Brice Stultz

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2020, 02:54:43 AM »
Very nice rifle but lacks some Vincent hallmarks.
Andover, Vermont

Offline scottmc

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2020, 03:01:57 AM »
That's interesting since we all live about 10 miles from pook and pook.  My guy must have bought it from the guy who bought it from pook.  Hopefully, someone recognizes the initials and can offer some insight. 
Remember Paoli!

Offline scottmc

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2020, 03:11:33 AM »
Just looked back at pook history and here this rifle and every other came out of Robert Spanglers collection.  I knew this man and was in his house and saw this extensive collection.  I heard he passed away but didnt realize his collection was auctioned off.  Wow!
Remember Paoli!

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2020, 04:49:02 AM »
VERY nice either way. I quite enjoy the fish hammer.

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2020, 09:14:09 AM »
I doubt this is an Auer rifle from Louisville...I have 3 and have handled several others. Could you post 2 additional pictures: 1) reverse side showing butt and rear side facing with lock bolt washer; 2) cast nose cap from slightly underneath so we can see bottom detail and one side. All the Auer rifles I have seen show his Swiss heritage in their lock bolt, which is mounted significantly lower than on this rifle. I'd think the maker was W.B.J.K. per the lock and barrel mark. Only maker I can think of whose name comes close...and dates were ok...was W. B. Keable of Jackson Co., Alabama who was there at least for the mid-1850s to mid-1860s.  Shelby  Gallien

Offline LynnC

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2020, 07:37:23 PM »
A possible Alabama rifle?  Interesting!
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Offline Levy

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2020, 12:12:36 AM »
To me, the breech plug (hooked breech) looks hand made and not a casting.  The hammer looks like it might have been borrowed from another lock or gun, maybe a perc. dbl.  The drip mold looks like it is screwed to the barrel in front of the breech threads with two screws dressed off (instead of soldered).  James Levy
James Levy

Offline scottmc

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2020, 02:43:56 AM »
I doubt this is an Auer rifle from Louisville...I have 3 and have handled several others. Could you post 2 additional pictures: 1) reverse side showing butt and rear side facing with lock bolt washer; 2) cast nose cap from slightly underneath so we can see bottom detail and one side. All the Auer rifles I have seen show his Swiss heritage in their lock bolt, which is mounted significantly lower than on this rifle. I'd think the maker was W.B.J.K. per the lock and barrel mark. Only maker I can think of whose name comes close...and dates were ok...was W. B. Keable of Jackson Co., Alabama who was there at least for the mid-1850s to mid-1860s.  Shelby  Gallien

Shelby, I'll ask him to take a couple of those shots and send to me.  I took the original pics but I'm sure he can manage two more.
Remember Paoli!

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2020, 07:29:42 PM »
It looks like an Eastern gun,maybe New York to me.I had a number of those fish mouth hammers and used them
on new locks many years ago.I think I got them fromWes Kindidg and he passed away in May of 1973.
Bob Roller

Offline Uncle Miltie

• Starting Member
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2020, 04:58:12 AM »
I agree with Bob Roller: looks like a NY State rifle to me.  Nice, but certainly not a Vincent, and most probably not from Ohio either.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2021, 08:26:59 PM »
Depends on your definition of "very old" and "rare". I'd say 1860's- ish or a bit later. Well built gun.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Daryl

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2021, 09:36:59 PM »
I certainly agree with that, Mikey. Very nice indeed.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2021, 09:19:07 PM »
Don't you think it is a "little too sophisticated" for W. B. Keable of Jackson Co., Alabama?
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320