Author Topic: Winners at Dixons  (Read 6711 times)

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
Winners at Dixons
« on: July 28, 2009, 02:24:26 AM »
Recon one of you fellers that went to Dixon's could list the winners for the different catagories that post on the ALR board?  Or all of them.  I don't know how many catagories there would. 
I've seen mention that Rich Dillon won "Best of Class" in the Journeymans class and Jim Chambers won "Best of Show".

Congratulations to both.
Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
  • American Mountain Men #1393
Re: Winners at Dixons
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 02:52:24 AM »
I wonder how many winners at Dixon's this year are ALR members??

Randy Hedden
American Mountain Men #1393

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 03:16:09 AM »
I took the first ribbon of the day. A third for patch box release mechanism and then a second for engraving, both in apprentice class. Lots of ALR winners a bit higher up the ribbon food chain than myself.

Taylor, young Eric, Ed Wenger, Roger Fisher, Pikelake ...just a few that I know. Not sure what ribbons they all won, I'll let them chime in when they get a chance.

erdillonjr

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 01:31:38 PM »
Rich Dillon won best of class in journyman. Blue for best workmanship, And a second for best patchbox . Ed

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 02:37:19 PM »
This was my first time entering a gun and I didn't know exactly what I had won until getting my gun back and reading the back of the ribbons.
I am broke but it was a wonderful trip!

1st place Fowler
2nd place Best of Class - Apprentice - Traditional
2nd place Apprentice - First Gun
3rd place Apprentice - Basic Conformation

James Rogers
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 02:39:04 PM by Capt. Jas. »

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 05:07:07 PM »
This was my first time entering a gun and I didn't know exactly what I had won until getting my gun back and reading the back of the ribbons.
I am broke but it was a wonderful trip!

1st place Fowler
2nd place Best of Class - Apprentice - Traditional
2nd place Apprentice - First Gun
3rd place Apprentice - Basic Conformation

James Rogers
BRAVO! I told you that was a good looking gun. ;D
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Dave K

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 05:08:11 PM »
Are there pictures of this gun?

Offline Swampwalker

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 07:41:54 PM »
I entered a rifle for the first time this year, a late Leihi (sp.) Valley style rifle.  I was very surprised and pleased to get best in class - journeyman, contemporary, and a first place - journeyman, engraving ribbons.
It was really great getting some feedback from people who know these rifles.

David Balsley, Norfolk, VA

Offline wpalongrifle

• gunmaker/hornsmith
    • mkarkalla.blogspot.com
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 12:59:36 AM »
Ken,  took three ribbon's this year...second engraving and two thirds, raised carving and patchbox construction mech. Master's class...If your going to come in second  at least it was Jim chambers, the pistol was a work of art, well deserved... Was very nice to see and meet all the ALR members this year who also attended the HCH summer reception "pig roast" at Jacobsburg... and stopped by the guild table .. Hope every one had a good time, thanks, mike karkalla
mike karkalla
F&AM Chartiers Valley#725
North American Order of the Beaver
mkarkalla.blogspot.com

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2009, 04:35:35 PM »
The Best "First Gun" was won by Walt Sprenkle of Selinsgrove, Pa.   He built it back around 1981, and after seeing the gun I recalled the events around it.   Walt showed up at our barrel shop with a blank of wood and a straight Douglas barrel, said he wanted to build a gun, would we show him what to do.   Then he saw the swamped barrels that we were
doing and wondered if we could swamp his barrel.   We agreed to do it, and, when finished we explained to him how to
inlet it.   He came back about a week later with a perfect inlet.   Said, what's next.   We explained how to inlet the lock and where to put it, etc.     About a week later, same thing, perfect inlet.   And so it went for the whole gun.   He did some
things wrong, which you would expect, but overall it was a nice gun.   He finally got around to entereing it at Dixon's and
he told me, accoding to the judges, it was one of the best first guns they had ever judged.  Needless to say he was pretty happy with the ribbons....................Don

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2009, 05:06:04 PM »
Are there pictures of this gun?
Yes, they are up on the blog this morning. This gun is going to knock your socks off!
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2009, 08:02:34 PM »
The Best "First Gun" was won by Walt Sprenkle of Selinsgrove, Pa. 

Sure would like to see some pictures of it.  Are there any posted anywhere?

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Randall Steffy

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2009, 02:50:33 AM »
I entered a Lancaster swivel breech, .50 over .50, which you may have seen posted here, twice as the project progressed. It pulled down the following awards:
First Place - Journeyman - Basic Conformation
First Place - Journeyman - Patchbox, Mech. & Mortice
Second Place - Journeyman -  Best of Class - Traditional
Second Place - Journeyman -  Carving
Second Place - Journeyman -  Basic Craftsmanship

Makes one feel like the child who knows he got more than his fair share of the candy.

The worksheet/critique is of far more value than the ribbons. I asked for, and was given 15 minutes or so of a judges time afterwards to personally point out short comings and offer suggestions which will be invaluable on the next build. I am anxious to start that build and put this knowledge to use. Again I was struck while at Dixon's with how willing and able professionals/experts are to share tips and tricks that in some trades would be considered secret and proprietary. We associate with a great bunch of guys.

My personal thanks to the judges for graciously giving of their time and knowledge to further our education and passion. Thanks too, to all those who volunteered time and resources to make Dixon's such a success again this year.