Author Topic: Found Maker Heavy Target muzzleloader  (Read 3297 times)

Offline underhammer

• Starting Member
Found Maker Heavy Target muzzleloader
« on: February 27, 2020, 03:02:54 AM »
 Picked this up a few days ago from a estate in southern Ontario Canada. 54 cal I have not checked to see if round ball or slug twist yet.
No makers name other than on the brass side plate

PVG No1 with bullet starter, 15.2 lbs non orig front globe sight.

I did some digging on google found another..... identical side plate PVG No2 some where in Buhl Idaho owner has passed on not sure where rifle is now.

I was able to remove the barrel from half stock and after cleaning the bottom flat from very old oil I found the makers name

N.Lewis Troy NY..... found some interesting info on google
Lewis, like all the old-time gun makers, has a surprisingly small number of machines in his shop as the major part of the work in making a gun or rifle was done by hand. A boring machine for smoothing or reaming the bore of the barrels and a "rifling bench" with "rifling guide" were practically all the machines found in these old rifle-makers shops on those times. Lewis bought his barrel blanks from E. Remington & Son, using the cast steel for rifle barrels which he smooth-reamed inside, rifled, finished, fitted the lock and stocked in an excellent manner.

Lewis always cut his rifle barrels with a gain twist and absolutely refused to accept an order for a rifle to be made with a uniform twist. His "standard" type of rifling was equal width of grooves and lands and both cut with square corners.

I have examined several Lewis rifles that were rifled with quite wide grooves and narrow lands, but these are exceptions - not his regular standard rifling. If the rifle was a target gun with false muzzle, Lewis ordered the blank to be sent from the Remington factory with the pins fitted before it was sent to him and thus, in his case, the nice snug fitting pins that hold the false muzzle in place were fitted by E. Remington & Sons - not by Lewis. Lewis did not even have a lathe in his shop, but all such work as making bullet swages, bullet starters, threading the patent breech, and end of barrel was done by "Bill" Hart in his machine shop which was near Lewis' shop.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 12:06:23 AM by underhammer »

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
Re: help to ID a heavy target muzzleloader
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2020, 08:40:45 AM »
Can we see a picture of the back side of the butt with rear side facing and lock bolt washer? Also a picture of the pewter nose cap from slightly underneath so we can see one side plus the bottom. I have 3 AUERS and have handled a number of others, and I doubt this is his work...but seeing the reverse will help clarify if this might be his work. Most mid-to-late 1800s schuetzen-inspired target rifles are marked, either on barrel or lock...anything on lock plate? Shelby Gallien

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2020, 04:40:15 PM »
Elegant match rifle for sure.I have an identical hammer to the one on this
back action lock.I thought about making a 4 screw lock from it at one time.
I wonder if the is a round ball gun,picket ball or elongated bullet either lubed
or paper patched?
Bob Roller
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 01:01:05 AM by Bob Roller »

Offline underhammer

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2020, 05:04:50 AM »
more pictures of PVG #1

Offline Uncle Miltie

• Starting Member
Re: Found Maker Heavy Target muzzleloader
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2020, 05:20:54 AM »
Very nice rifle!  Looks like it is a picket rifle.  I have handled and fired a number of the Lewis rifles over the years.  Your statements are correct: Nelson purchased his barrels with patent muzzle installed from the Remington Co.  Barrels fitted that way were always of Cast Steel, expensive, and always provided unrifled.  The muzzle had to be attached to the barrel for rifling, and and both pieces were rifled together.  Will you shoot your rifle?  Again, very nice, thanks for posting!

Offline underhammer

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2020, 04:56:22 PM »
I will shoot this one for sure.. The nipple came out without a problem , I will replace with a new  platinum lined one. I still have to find out the rate of twist and find all my 54 cal moulds and see what one should work.

Offline albert

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2020, 10:17:13 PM »
I think it's kinda unusual to have his name on the bottom flat , I  have three of his rifles  , and they are all marked on top flat , I wonder if the breech plug was reset , or was made like that. In the gun builders of New York  ,the chapter on him all are marked on top .
j albert miles

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2020, 06:44:09 PM »
Mr. Lewis certainly made an elegant, beautiful rifle!  Love the style, the checkering, etc.

This is one that I'd love to take to the range and set up the 200 yard targets.  Looks like everything would just want to jump into your hands and be used all day long.

Many thanks for showing it.  One day I would like to own one like it.  Not going to try to build one.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline underhammer

• Starting Member
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2021, 08:19:47 AM »
Picked this up a few days ago from a estate in southern Ontario Canada. 54 cal I have not checked to see if round ball or slug twist yet.
No makers name other than on the brass side plate

PVG No1 with bullet starter, 15.2 lbs non orig front globe sight.

I did some digging on google found another..... identical side plate PVG No2 some where in Buhl Idaho owner has passed on not sure where rifle is now.

I was able to remove the barrel from half stock and after cleaning the bottom flat from very old oil I found the makers name

N.Lewis Troy NY..... found some interesting info on google
Lewis, like all the old-time gun makers, has a surprisingly small number of machines in his shop as the major part of the work in making a gun or rifle was done by hand. A boring machine for smoothing or reaming the bore of the barrels and a "rifling bench" with "rifling guide" were practically all the machines found in these old rifle-makers shops on those times. Lewis bought his barrel blanks from E. Remington & Son, using the cast steel for rifle barrels which he smooth-reamed inside, rifled, finished, fitted the lock and stocked in an excellent manner.

Lewis always cut his rifle barrels with a gain twist and absolutely refused to accept an order for a rifle to be made with a uniform twist. His "standard" type of rifling was equal width of grooves and lands and both cut with square corners.

I have examined several Lewis rifles that were rifled with quite wide grooves and narrow lands, but these are exceptions - not his regular standard rifling. If the rifle was a target gun with false muzzle, Lewis ordered the blank to be sent from the Remington factory with the pins fitted before it was sent to him and thus, in his case, the nice snug fitting pins that hold the false muzzle in place were fitted by E. Remington & Sons - not by Lewis. Lewis did not even have a lathe in his shop, but all such work as making bullet swages, bullet starters, threading the patent breech, and end of barrel was done by "Bill" Hart in his machine shop which was near Lewis' shop.

Well I have decided to part ways with this  and it is up for auction on Icollector if anyone is interested. going back to flintlocks

Offline Daryl

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2021, 06:44:22 PM »
Elegant match rifle for sure.I have an identical hammer to the one on this
back action lock.I thought about making a 4 screw lock from it at one time.
I wonder if the is a round ball gun,picket ball or elongated bullet either lubed
or paper patched?
Bob Roller

Close to my thoughts, Bob.
I also thought picket, but patched in cloth.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Hudnut

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2021, 01:43:54 AM »

Well I have decided to part ways with this  and it is up for auction on Icollector if anyone is interested. going back to flintlocks

Which auction house?

Offline underhammer

• Starting Member
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2021, 04:38:38 PM »
Icollector is the auction site

Myers Auctions from Arden Manitoba