Author Topic: Forearm shaping  (Read 4209 times)

billd

Forearm shaping
« on: July 28, 2009, 02:29:45 AM »
Should the bottom, or height, of the forearm, from the entry pipe to the end of the breech be perfectly parallel with the center line of the barrel?  

I've looked at many pictures and it's almost impossible to tell. Some look like they get a little thicker towards the breech.

**** I  editted this post. I had thickness where I meant height.

Thanks,
Bill
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 03:24:26 AM by billd »

Offline Jim Filipski

• Jim W. Filipski  Flintlocks
Re: Forearm shaping
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 03:53:47 AM »
Bill if you mean "lower forearm" I usually  leave about 1/8 of wood below the entry hole and 3/16 near the breech on average so If it is a short lower forearm it is almost noticeable. But on a long lower forearm it is almost impossible to see the taper.  However if I'm building for  particular rifle ( not often...)it can vary
I hope this is what you are talking about
Jim
" Associate with men of good quality,  if you esteem your own reputation:
for it is better to be alone than in bad company. "      -   George Washington

"A brush of the hand
of Providence is behind what is done with good heart."

billd

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 04:07:23 AM »
Thanks Jim, you got what I was trying to say.

I layout my guns on a large granite surface plate at work and scribe all my lines with height gauges from the centerline of the barrel. A waste of time but I'm used to working that way. I got to thinking today, my barrel diameter is about .090" larger at the breech than at the entry pipe, so if you look at the gun from the side the visible part of barrel is going to taper up .045 toward the breech. Should the bottom of the forarm taper down this same amount, proportional?

If you look at the forearm width from the top view, the forearm width follows the width of the barrel as it tapers in and out and I'm trying to find out if it should do the same up and down.
Bill
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 04:07:48 AM by billd »

California Kid

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 04:18:43 AM »
If you use the RR hole as a refrence at the entry and breech as JWF said, the rest doesn't matter. Maybe your thinking too much.

Offline Jim Filipski

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 04:34:07 AM »
I run my forearm tops near bore center but most times somewhat below bore center. (Hopefully my ramrod  hole is parallel with the center of the bore) The lower forestock is tapered based on the RR hole but perhaps not as much as a barrel is at those points. You're Possibly over thinking...but a good point indeed.

Before we went down to Dixon's this weekend my buddy Steve brought down to my house some of his original English fowlers. One showed a very exagerated flare at 1 3/4 inches from the breech ( this was in height only)
However in width is was a normal tapered flare. Yes the breech was asymetrical...wider in height then in width! Don't know why but it didn't appear to be a forging mistake
Jim

"A brush of the hand

California Kid

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 04:39:31 AM »
JWF, did the fowler have a false breech, that might make it higher than wide.

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 03:00:58 PM »
I have never worried about whether or not it is parallel, it is all regulated by the barrel and ramrod groove.  I will chop down the top of the stock, along the barrel flat, until about 2/3 of the barrel flat are showing.   I then chop down the
sides of the ramrod groove until about 2/3 of the ramrod are showing.  It will not be exactly in line with the bore since
the ramrod groove is done as a separate thing.   I will usually ask the guy that inlets the barrel to give me a web of about
3/16" at the  muzzle and 1/8" at the breech.  If you are using a swamped barrel this will end up close to being in line with
the bore, but is not a consideration.....it will be what it will be...............Don

Offline Jim Filipski

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 04:13:41 PM »

No It didn't. That is why I thought it unusual.  Could be to raise the sight plane in the rear of the gun (?)
Hopefully Steve will be getting us some photos of the gun for our online museum soon
Sorry for going off topic

Now Getting back to the Forearm shaping; Donny has said it best. It is what it is & don't over think it...as long as you know "good" shaping parameters.  Don I do like 2/3 barrel & ramrod showing makes for a sleeker look. Many new builders ( & some old ones as well)  run it  too thick & high!
Jim

"A brush of the hand

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009, 04:43:05 PM »

No It didn't. That is why I thought it unusual.  Could be to raise the sight plane in the rear of the gun (?)
Hopefully Steve will be getting us some photos of the gun for our online museum soon
Sorry for going off topic

Now Getting back to the Forearm shaping; Donny has said it best. It is what it is & don't over think it...as long as you know "good" shaping parameters.  Don I do like 2/3 barrel & ramrod showing makes for a sleeker look. Many new builders ( & some old ones as well)  run it  too thick & high!
Jim
I do 'try' to get that lower forearm taper in there.  I did get docked at the Fair a couple or so yrs ago for showing too much rod!  (ramrod on the rifle)  I had shown abt 2/3 and similar on the side barrel flat.  But what the hey! :D