Author Topic: Bag and Horns  (Read 2956 times)

Offline Jim Spray

Bag and Horns
« on: February 28, 2020, 10:14:29 PM »
Just picked this bag and horns up. It has been hanging for quite some time and was pretty covered in mildew. I've got it cleaned up good now and oiled so it's a little softer than it was. Most of the stuff in and on the bag is over 40 years old. The bag was hanging on a peg so the shoulder strap is in need of some work as the bag was fully loaded with balls and was heavy. Pretty happy that it's mine now.

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
Re: Bag and Horns
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2020, 10:21:07 PM »
I would be too Jim. Wow. Right up my alley. Awesome find all the way around.

Offline Jim Spray

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2020, 01:07:26 AM »
Really nice horns, Jim.  I especially like the spouts.  Does anyone know of a source for them?

The gentleman that made the spouts passed away some time ago.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2020, 01:50:53 AM »
 Track used to carry them but they have been out of stock for what seems like years. You can get all the pieces except the cone. Not an easy part to make up because of the step-up/block that the lever goes on. I know only one guy that makes them and they are for his own use. Every once in awhile I get a wild hair and try one but I guess I'm just not holding my mouth right. I know a retired pattern maker and he suggested making one up and having some cast, he gave me the name of a small co. that would do it but I would have to supply the mold. I would have to sell 30 @ 50 bucks just to pay for the mold. So that's out. The cone shown is about 2 1/2", more like what would have been used on a Military horn. I would like to come up with a smaller one for primers and smaller horns. Still not sure what are/area they came from, unless it is just a take-off of a military horn, thinking Harpers Ferry.  Still working on it.

Tim C.

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2020, 02:15:29 AM »
Don't know if he's the same fellow that Tim knows but I have a friend that makes these, one at a time. Lot of work.
Mark

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2020, 04:04:18 AM »
Nice find Jim. Those horns are phenomenal.

Mike

Offline Dennis Daigger

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2020, 05:06:27 AM »
Tim,
Most of the photos I've seen of these spouts are mounted to antler and are Continental in origin.  I would like to make one of these for a Jaeger rifle.

Maybe sheet brass could be formed and the seam welded to get the cone done not unlike a number of postings here of making ramrod tip.
Dennis

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2020, 04:50:53 PM »
you oughta be happy...what a great find.  Good luck with it.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2020, 04:51:46 PM »
Tim,
Most of the photos I've seen of these spouts are mounted to antler and are Continental in origin.  I would like to make one of these for a Jaeger rifle.

Maybe sheet brass could be formed and the seam welded to get the cone done not unlike a number of postings here of making ramrod tip.
Dennis

The cone is not a problem the block that the lever is pinned to is. TC

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2020, 11:37:50 PM »
Tim, if you decide to get them made up, I would be interested in a couple.

Wasn't it Dave Rase that made one from sheet brass back about a year ago?
Psalms 144

Online Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2020, 12:34:35 AM »

Looks to me like the block could easily be soldered onto the cone.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline mark esterly

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2020, 04:38:40 AM »
do i remember a tutorial for making this valve on here?
living in the hope of HIS coming.......

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2020, 03:16:24 PM »

Looks to me like the block could easily be soldered onto the cone.
Dennis

I have tried that, after getting the cone set up with sinks, I had trouble getting the two surfaces to meet up evenly. I tried it using a "U" shaped piece with a fat bottom rather than a sold piece. also used tin instead of Brass. I may take another shot at it down the road when I get some time to play around with it.. In theory it should work but we know how that goes.

Tim

PS: In this game to me nothing is easily done, unless it is losing something in the shop. TC

Pic of the cone forming jig and pattern FWIW:

« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 03:37:12 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2020, 08:29:13 PM »
Tim, I’m no tinsmith, but I think I’d make my lever bracket out of sheet, and rivet it to the body of the cone while it’s still flat, then bend/solder the cone. You could always add a drop of solder to the bracket at the same time you’re soldering the cone seam, as the whole thing will be hot.  That’s my thought process, FWIW.

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2020, 12:34:52 AM »
 Man Greg good idea, I never thought about rivets! Unfortunatly I've got so much stuff going that it's going to be a while.

Thanks, Tim

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2020, 02:08:11 AM »
Man Greg good idea, I never thought about rivets! Unfortunatly I've got so much stuff going that it's going to be a while.

Thanks, Tim
Better hurry up! We’re going to all be in Knoxville before you know if!!
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Jim Spray

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2020, 02:33:22 AM »
Tim, I’m no tinsmith, but I think I’d make my lever bracket out of sheet, and rivet it to the body of the cone while it’s still flat, then bend/solder the cone. You could always add a drop of solder to the bracket at the same time you’re soldering the cone seam, as the whole thing will be hot.  That’s my thought process, FWIW.

Greg

That is what I was thinking. Just need to figure out the bend on the bracket.

Offline bigsmoke

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2020, 12:25:16 AM »
OK, we know that Track used to carry these, some time ago.  They haven't for a few years, at least.
The last time I was at Friendship, I talked with a fellow named Michael Lea and he said that he was making them also.  Now that's been quite some time ago, but I would imagine if he is still kicking, he could still do it, if he was so inclined.  Of course, that was back in 1992, so things could have certainly changed.   The business is called Michael Lea and Daughter, Columbus, OH.  I see he teaches an engraving class at the Log Cabin Shop which occurred as late as 2019.So, I would guess he is still a viable source.
While we are talking about things kinda like that, what I have long felt a need for is an Irish Shot Valve and an English Shot Valve that is American made and priced a bit more reasonably than the ones from Pedersoli.  Just a thought.
John (Bigsmoke)

Offline Jerry

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2020, 04:15:15 AM »
Nice outfit Jim. Jerry

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2020, 07:47:32 PM »
Might it be easier to make the first one of wax?  Pretty easy to carve and form, and that way the trunnions for the valve could be made right on the cone part.  And there are some very low-temp metals that could then be used in a vulcanized rubber mold to make a casting tree full of those spouts.  Or just cast more in wax.  I think there are some low-temp rubber mold making materials so that your original wax wouldn't get melted in the process.
You could also use the wax original to make the first one from brass, then make a mold using that first brass one.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.