Author Topic: Lock ID help please- Hatfield?  (Read 2909 times)

Offline Oil Derek

Lock ID help please- Hatfield?
« on: February 28, 2020, 11:03:39 PM »
Does anyone know the origins of this lock? I know that Hatfields are all over the place concerning who and where made, and who's locks they came with. To ID this lock will help narrow things down a bit. Trying to help a friend's widow out.

No markings other than "Hatfield" on the face side and two "O" stampings on the guts side. I appreciate the help.

Offline Bigmon

Re: Lock ID help please- Hatfield?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2020, 11:08:17 PM »
Looks like the lock that came on the "Hatfield" rifle.  I believe it was a Cabella's rifle, still available I think.  They were a mass produced rifle.  I think that is a fairly decent lock model.

Offline Oil Derek

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2020, 11:23:50 PM »
Thanks Bigmon. I wasn't in close contact with him when he bought it but I do believe he mail ordered it, whether from Cabela's or Hatfield direct I don't know. His widow couldn't help pin down a time frame either.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2020, 03:35:09 AM »
 Cabela’s version of the Hatfield was a copy, and was not marked Hatfield. That lock is from a Hatfield, not the copy. Some of those were O.K., but some had issues. I think the frizzens weren’t hardened correctly, but am not positive.

Hungry Horse

Offline Oil Derek

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2020, 03:54:33 AM »
Thank you HH.

Hard to pin this rifle down; I've read everything I can find about it on the Interweb. Big question is if this is a USA gun or when he partnered with Pedersoli for parts. No marks on the barrel other than two of the faintest partial strikes. Makes me wonder if this is one of the Italian barrels that he draw filed down.The two marks are weird as they are plumb with the flat not horizontal as one would expect.

Offline Gunnermike

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2020, 11:04:10 AM »
It's a Pedersoli Hatfield lock.  The rifle from this auction is also stamped Hatfield on top of the barrel near the breech - https://www.gunsamerica.com/956059547/Hatfield-Flintlock-50-Cal-Black-Powder.htm

Mike

Offline Oil Derek

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2020, 05:08:47 PM »
It's a Pedersoli Hatfield lock.  The rifle from this auction is also stamped Hatfield on top of the barrel near the breech - https://www.gunsamerica.com/956059547/Hatfield-Flintlock-50-Cal-Black-Powder.htm

Mike

Thanks Mike. A question of scrutiny, can we be sure this is a Pedersoli lock?

Please note the sear and sear spring hole locations on the front face. Doesn’t look the same as on the Pedersoli.  Plus note the subtle profile and flute differences of the lock plate tail pieces.

Lastly. It appears that the Pedersoli lock face is stamped “warranted“ where as this one is not. Thus I am wondering if this is a lock made by a US maker?

Offline Gunnermike

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2020, 12:44:31 AM »
You are right Derek, that is not a Pedersoli lock!  It's a copy of the Pedersoli Hatfield lock. 

There is a small company  (might be in Ohio) that use to make copies of the Numrich Arms underhammers (they don't anymore) and branched out making parts for the various muzzleloaders from Europe, but I can't remember their name and I don't have it bookmarked.  They may have made it but I don't know.  Sorry for the dead end.  Mike

Offline Oil Derek

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2020, 01:38:12 AM »
Ah, gotcha Mike. Thanks anyhoo!

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2020, 09:41:58 PM »
I have seen some of those with that marking come into the Armory during
the shoots at Friendship for frizzen rehardening. Willy Boittnot used an
actetylene torch and Kasenit.Seemed to work OK.We thought they might
have been made in Italy but then nobody cared one way or the other.
Bob Roller

Offline Oil Derek

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2020, 10:57:15 PM »
Thank you Mr. Roller.

That's why I posted the workings side of that lock, thought you might recognize the stamp and would surely know if it was from a U.S. maker.

I'm starting to suspect that this is a Ted Hatfield gun when he started sourcing parts from Pedersoli. If so, then Pedersoli obviously changed the design some when they bought the rights to said gun.

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2020, 04:48:09 PM »
IF that lock IS American made the screws should be SAE threads and not metric.
Bob Roller

Offline Oil Derek

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2020, 03:24:23 AM »
IF that lock IS American made the screws should be SAE threads and not metric.
Bob Roller

Doh! Leave it to me to overlook the obvious.  Thanks again Mr. Roller and for prodding me too wakeup.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 04:49:20 AM by Oil Derek »