Author Topic: pouring a pewter ring around a horn or initials in wood???  (Read 2806 times)

Offline sonny

pouring a pewter ring around a horn or initials in wood???
« on: July 28, 2009, 02:58:11 AM »
can anybody tell me how do they get the pewter to stick on a horn or rounded piece of wood.I under cut both an wrapped construction paper around the spill area......but it scortched the horn an fell out an the wood inlay,it just puddled up an never filled the cutout???? what am i doing wrong???....i see pewter bands around everything but i can't do it!!!!!.please help thanks.......sonny

Offline G. Elsenbeck

Re: pouring a pewter ring around a horn or initials in wood???
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 04:23:16 AM »
Sonny, you might want to review Tim Crosby's tutorial in the Tutorial section of this forum to see if you missed something during the set up.  He's done a few of these and seems to have it down pat.  I review it all the time as I want to give this a whirl some time this year.
Gary
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

jasontn

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 07:56:06 AM »
i havent tried wood or horn yet but i have done some antler. i undercut the pour area as well as drilling tiny holes at angles in the pour area to help it flow and give it an anchor point. i have also switched to silver solder which works better for me.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 06:37:09 PM »
 Sonny,
  If the tutorial doesn't help call me and I'll see if I can help.

Tim C.
  740-277-7370