Author Topic: Applying Mr Flintlock lube  (Read 2418 times)

Offline hortonstn

Applying Mr Flintlock lube
« on: March 01, 2020, 03:53:43 AM »
How do you guys apply Mr Flintlock lube to your patch, one at a time or do a roll at a time
Thanks

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: Applying Mr Flintlock lube
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2020, 03:58:28 AM »
I use both Lehigh Valley and Mr Flintlock and I always sprayed on patch one at a time, never used it for hunting. Concerned about sampling powder.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Don Steele

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2020, 02:23:33 PM »
I spray each patch individually after pouring my powder charge down the barrel. Give the patch a good "spritz", maybe 2...then work it into the patch with my fingers before setting it on the muzzle.
I don't use a spray lube to hunt although I have to admit that is based upon the recommendations of others, not actual testing. 
Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Offline alacran

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2020, 03:55:18 PM »
In my most humble opinion, if a lube is not good for hunting it is not good for shooting.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2020, 04:36:53 PM »
I apply a few drops to an individual patch and rub it in with a finger. Really slick and easy cleanup after the shoot.
Mark

Offline Daryl

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2020, 09:46:31 PM »
I place my pre-cuts in the tin or container, pour in the LHV or Mr. Flintock's lube.  Once all the patches are saturated,
I pour the excess back into the bottle.
I lightly squeeze the stacks of patches to get out the excess and back into the bottle it goes.
That's it.
I use the same process for hunting lubes, Track's Mink Oil (melted) or with Neetsfoot Oil. I have a 3-shot loading block
for the .69, my hunting rifle for when I have no ctg. made up.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2020, 10:05:34 AM »
Mr. Flintlock- I just squirt a little on the patch and rub it in. It's a good shooting lube. But I don't use it for hunting as it will dry out and cause other problems, just like LeHigh Valley.
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2020, 09:55:15 PM »
I found some LHV sitting on a shelf at a gun store in Tulsa... It had been sitting there a while but I picked up a bottle to try.

If sprayed on patches and allowed to dry is it still effective as a lube?

My sniffer says it smells like Pine-Sol.

Mike

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2020, 01:03:23 AM »
smells like Pine-Sol
yep but its not but I think it does contain some things that are in Pine-Sol. Its the best patch lube I have ever used bar none. Never tried it dry, let us know.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline hortonstn

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2020, 03:15:32 AM »
I thought it smelled like murphys oil soap

Offline Daryl

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2020, 03:28:17 AM »
smells like Pine-Sol
yep but its not but I think it does contain some things that are in Pine-Sol. Its the best patch lube I have ever used bar none. Never tried it dry, let us know.
Dennis

Yes - it does smell like pine sol - to me as well. I have never tried drying it and using it. I use lubes wet as that is what softens black powder fouling.
I've never felt that using a wet lube hurt accuracy by harming the powder charge and have left my rifle loaded for up to 3 months, yet hit centre when
 I finally got around to touching her off.
Years ago, I used to put a barrier wad between the powder and patched ball, but not any more.  I found in my .40 and .45 rifles that the barrier wad
(card stock) hurt accuracy, but not so in the .69. I still don't use it in the .69 as it appears to not be necessary.
Daryl

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2020, 04:15:40 AM »
I'll put it in the pile of "stuff to try" next time I take the Bedford out... Still working up a load on it.

Mike

Offline Daryl

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2020, 11:14:48 PM »
That's great - but - change only one thing at a time, Mike.
Daryl

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2020, 11:47:49 PM »
In my most humble opinion, if a lube is not good for hunting it is not good for shooting.

Not always. The topic is a liquid lube. Fine for target shooting and doesn't require swabbing.

If the lube is used for hunting it sits much longer and can soak into the powder. It may also freeze in real cold weather.

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2020, 12:06:02 AM »
That's great - but - change only one thing at a time, Mike.

Yes indeed. I also got a bottle of pure neatsfoot oil yesterday and plan on trying it out as well...

When the weather and schedule allow, it looks like I have some work ahead of me.

Mike