Author Topic: Maker of early percussion rifle  (Read 1708 times)

Danville Greenhorn

Maker of early percussion rifle
« on: March 01, 2020, 10:40:15 PM »
Here is what I know about this rifle.  It will measures as a .32 but actually seems to be .28-.30 caliber.  Percussion ignition

« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 05:27:02 AM by Danville Greenhorn »

Offline Dave B

Re: Maker of early percussion rifle
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2020, 12:32:04 AM »
Welcome to the Forum. Great rifle but I am not as versed as others here with identifying these types of rifles. That said it is very helpful for us to be able to see more of the rifle to get a sense for the architecture of the piece.  Having a photo that shows the full view of the rifle from 6" forward of the lock of the rifle to the full butt stock as well as the opposite side of the rifle showing the side plate, cheek section and butt plate. A full length shot of both sides is also helpful. The clues revealed by the details can help. The area some times can be determined by these nuances and narrow down where to look for the C S ? signature. Late percussion guns can be difficult to sort out due to the use of readily available hardware for the gunsmiths of the late 1800's. Thank you for sharing pictures of your rifle. Having more photos will help. I look forward to seeing them.
Dave Blaisdell

Danville Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2020, 02:29:26 AM »
Thanks for the great advice.  I’ll take more good pictures in daylight tomorrow and post them. 
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 01:31:08 AM by Danville Greenhorn »

Danville Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2020, 05:33:02 AM »
I’ve added several more pictures but neglected the right rear of the stock.  Gentle chastising and I’ll remedy that.  I am looking forward to comments and am definitely reaching out to my mentor Steve H, brother of “50 caliber Joe.”  What did I forget?

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2020, 12:44:39 AM »
You forgot to post the new photos.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2020, 01:15:49 AM »
The maker is Charles Slaysman. Indiana County PA
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Danville Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2020, 02:58:46 AM »
Thanks, I’m new here and new to gun building thanks for the id.  What do you know about him?
Tim
  Aka Danville Greenhorn

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2020, 03:49:40 AM »

Credit for information to Dr. James B whisker
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.