Author Topic: newbie looking for some help  (Read 2271 times)

zukpilot

newbie looking for some help
« on: July 28, 2009, 10:55:26 PM »
I have been in possession of a double barrel muzzleloader that I believe was my wife's grandfathers. The only identification on the rifle is below the hammers on each side and appears to be Nellis & Sheath. I'm looking for any type of info I can. I plan on cleaning up and refinishing the rifle for a display case but some history would be nice. 

Offline T*O*F

Re: newbie looking for some help
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 11:09:41 PM »
Nellis & Sheath.

It is most likely Hollis & Sheath, an English gunmaking firm.  Many of their guns were imported into the USA in the 1800's.

Hollis & Sheath, Birmingham, 1849-1861....gun and pistol makers.
The company was reorganized in 1861 as Isaac Hollis & Sons.

I plan on cleaning up and refinishing the rifle for a display case but some history would be nice.

You said it's a double barrel, so it is probably a shotgun, not a rifle.  Also, do not fool with it as you will destroy any intrinsic value it may have.  IF on the chance it is a double rifle, that is even more reason to leave it alone.  Amateur refinishings will immediately reduce its value by 75% or more.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

zukpilot

Re: newbie looking for some help
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 12:13:37 AM »
Thank you for the input and info.