Author Topic: Old Rifle  (Read 1764 times)

Offline Mike payne

Old Rifle
« on: March 03, 2020, 04:14:35 AM »
I have an old 36 cal. rifle that was built for me 42 yrs ago by a man named Bob Lee. Don't know how many of y'all remember Bob but he got me started into this rocklock addiction. The rifle was built out of a very curly maple blank brass furniture a Douglas 42" 1in66 barrel. The only problem which didn't show up for many years was the Russ Hamm lock. After shooting the rifle for about 15years the frizzin got to be unreliable at best.

Bob departed this earth in 1979 so he wasn't around to help me with the problem. I tried reharding the frizzin no good had several other people with much more experience than I tried helped for a little while but eventually no spark.

Bob was a dear friend so I just put the rifle away not wanting to part with it. About a year ago I started working on getting it shooting again. I ordered a L&R replacement lock for the Russ Hamm after fitting it I had a touch hole alinement problem. I ended up making a new touch hole for it. Yesterday I got to shoot it for the first time in many years it was more of a pleasure to shoot than I remembered.I am a happy man can't wait to make more smoke!

Mike

Offline MuskratMike

Re: Old Rifle
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2020, 05:33:53 AM »
Let's see some pictures. Sounds like an interesting piece.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Tpigskin

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2020, 06:38:30 PM »
Do you still have the Russ Hamm lock? I would love to see some pictures of it, particularly the inner works. Does it look anything like this?

Offline Mike payne

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2020, 07:32:12 PM »

The top picture is the Hamm the bottom is what is left of a old Davis that I have robbed parts from.

Offline JPK

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2020, 08:29:41 PM »
IMG_0470 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr
A Hamm lock for you.
A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.