Author Topic: Jacob S. Paulmer - where to find in books?  (Read 2922 times)

Offline Bent R. Jacobsen

• Starting Member
  • Dane from the town of Hamlet :-)
Jacob S. Paulmer - where to find in books?
« on: March 04, 2020, 02:45:55 PM »
Hi.
Does anyone of you know, in what volume out of the five, I can find the gunsmith "Jacob S. Paulmer".
The books are: OHIO GUNSMITHS & ALLIED TRADESMEN, researched by Donald A. Hutslar, edited by James Whisker. Hardbound.
I have a longrifle made by Jacob S. Paulmer, and I try to "dig" as much information as possible, though it from time to time is a bit difficult, livind in the northern part of Europe :-).
Any help will be appreciated - thank you!
Kind regards - and may you all have a nice day!
Bent

Offline OLUT

Re: Jacob S. Paulmer - where to find in books?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2020, 03:26:43 PM »
I don't have the book, but here is some information to get you started ....

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2020, 11:19:16 PM »
I always enjoy seeing a Paulmer rifle. He was noteworthy for continuing to relief  carve his rifles well into the 1850s in Indiana and use large, heavily engraved patchboxes well into the late 1850s. Jacob Paulmer always spelled his name in the earlier manner as "Paulmer," but most of his children, and second wife, switched to the shorter "Palmer." He had at least two sons who worked as gunsmiths, oldest son John, and a younger son Eli, who worked with Paulmer during his later years in Indiana.

While working in Stark Co., Ohio, Paulmer had George Wareham as an apprentice. Wareham married Paulmer's daughter and moved to DeKalb Co., Indiana in the late 1840s. Paulmer followed Wareham to DeKalb Co., IN, a couple of years later. Wareham's early work mimicked Paulmer's work, but Wareham was an inferior engraver, and more quickly went to generic percussion rifles in Indiana. Paulmer's small farm on Lentz Lake in DeKalb Co. is still discernible. He sighted in his new rifles shooting out toward the lake. An old, almost dead apple tree still marks where his house once stood.

Your rifle, based on its patchbox style, was made in Indiana, probably in very late 1850s. Nice to see a new one I haven't seen before...with original length barrel. Jeff Jaeger of Indiana is finishing up a new reference book on "Indiana Gunmakers" which will have info on Paulmer and at least two rifles well illustrated in color. The most complete and extensive write-up on Paulmer, illustrating the full range of his rifles from early Ohio to late Indiana examples and exploring his life, was written perhaps 15 to 20 years ago in either "Muzzle Blasts" or "Gun Report" magazine. I will find the specific magazine and issue date, and post it when located. He is not well-known in Ohio, but considered one of the best Indiana makers due to continuing the use of stock carving and elaborate patchboxes well into the late 1850s, far beyond what most other period gunsmiths did. 

As to locating Paulmer in the "Ohio Gunsmiths & Allied Tradesmen" set of books...look in the last or 5th volume...at the back it has the index of all listed Ohio gunmakers and which volume and page they can be found on.

Shelby Gallien
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 11:29:08 PM by Tanselman »

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2020, 01:38:10 AM »
I would appreciate a few photos,especially if it has some carving and engraving. Thanks

Offline Herb

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2020, 07:14:47 AM »
Jacob S. Paulmer is in book IV, pages 212 and 213.  There are photos of two of his rifles on pages 228 and 229.  Oops-  there are six photos of the same rifle.
Herb

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2020, 01:44:12 PM »
Here are a couple of internet sites with a lot of info and some nice pictures of a Paulmer longrifle.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/18927683/jacob-swihart-paulmer

https://historicalarms.com/kentucky-rifles-for-sale/4569.html
Joel Hall

Offline Bent R. Jacobsen

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2020, 07:35:28 PM »
Thank you, all of you! Now I can move a bit more one. I enclose some photos.
A special Thank you to Shelby Gallien for once again helping me about Paulmer. I think I have found the two articles you once wrote. For my selv I have until now made a 92 page photo book about what I have found out and the rifles way to my wall- and shooting range :-)
There are no woodcarving beside a single line.
Once again, Thank you
Kind regards
Bent

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2020, 12:44:26 AM »
You may already have this reference, but a relatively complete story of Jacob Paulmer's life and his rifle styles over the years was printed in "The Gun Report" magazine's issue of March, 1994, Vol.39, No.10.  Shelby Gallien

Offline iswareham

• Starting Member
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2020, 03:01:33 PM »
Thanks for posting the pictures Bent.  It's so great to see another Paulmer.  We acquired this one last year.  https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/76/3197/jacob-s-paulmer-signed-flintlock-halfstock-rifle          I'm sure we paid too much for it, but Paulmer is my husbands 5th Great Grandfather & George Wareham is his 4th, and we had been looking a long time for one of theirs we could call our own.    We've printed off Shelby Gallien's articles and keep them with our rifle to explain it's significance when people ask. I wish it could tells us where it's been all the years between when our 5th GGrandfather held it and when we acquired it.    Congrats on an beautiful piece, I love how you have it displayed.  Cheers!     

WESTbury

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2020, 03:15:52 PM »
That is a great looking rifle and wall display. The barrel engraving at the front sight is very nice, not over done at all.

Why don't you consider submitting some photos for the Miller Library? As far as I can see, he is not represented in the Library and should be.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 03:39:55 PM by WESTbury »

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2020, 06:01:06 PM »
Why don't you consider submitting some photos for the Miller Library? As far as I can see, he is not represented in the Library and should be.

Owners willing, I would say both, Bents and iswareham, rifle images would be a welcome addition, and should be submitted to the Library committee!
John
John Robbins

Offline Bent R. Jacobsen

• Starting Member
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2020, 11:59:27 PM »
Sorry, but I have just seen the April comments now in June. - Off course I would like to to share any photos and information to the Library committee/Miller Library.
Living i Denmark I just need to have som help how to contact- or be contacted the right persons. My e-mail address is:   bent.jacobsen@mail.tdcadsl.dk  - I will be more that happy to share everything I have about my Paulmer rifle. I have a photobook of 96 pages that I will try to share if wanted. I was supposed to shoot the rifle at the Danish  championship this year, but it has to wait to 2021. I am not a sharpshooter, but I would just be so proud just to participate with my beautiful favorite rifle. Bent

Offline iswareham

• Starting Member
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2020, 08:33:09 PM »
Bent, how exciting!! Can't wait to see video of you shooting it next year!!