Author Topic: Buckles  (Read 14776 times)

Offline Artificer

Re: Buckles
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2009, 08:33:21 AM »
Something else to throw in the mix of a reenacting personna is what age, social and economic background, and what life experiences the person would have had. 

Had the person you are reenacting had a military background, you might or could well have seen a military influence in his shot pouch and accoutrements.  If the person had grown up as the son/daughter of a laborer or small farmer, they might/would have made the bag differently.  Some one heading out on his first long hunt may have made do with what he had the first time and then come to his own conclusions and ideas about what he wanted/needed in the construction of all his gear and then modified his equipment and or if there was really something bad about what he had - replaced it.  If you were the son of a wealthier family, your gear would have been fancier. 

I suspect most people today are not that much different than in the 18th century in one regard  Their first home made shot pouch is rather crude, but serviceable, unless they have a background in leather making and/or good mentors.  Then they see what other people have done and that gives them ideas to improve their kit.   As they/we learned more, they/we made better bags that fit their/our own use and style. 

I'll never forget standing in formation and awaiting "inspection" by the Commanding Officer at Historic Fort Wayne, IN during a special events weekend where we were doing War of 1812.  We were doing "Brush's Company of Militia" because the uniform was a very simple (and cheap) linen shirt, over shirt and trousers.  The most costly things were the hat and shoes.  Anyway, due to being a Staff Sergeant of Marines (modern day) I went through the period drill manual with snap and pop that would not have been likely seen of a normal militiaman and especially not a Private.  When the Major inspected my musket, he told his Executive Officer - a Captain, that their troops (regular soldiers) could learn a thing or two about military discipline from us and especially how to maintain a musket.  The Captain "suggested" that the muskets had just been issued and that's why they were in such good condition.  Well, I couldn't let that go.  So I piped up with "Sir, begging your and the Captain's pardon, but I learned how to properly take care of a musket as a MARINE prior to my honorable discharge."   The Major grinned and the Captain smirked and tried not to laugh out loud, as there was a good sized crowd of tourists inside the Fort watching the inspection.  Later on he told me he had not been ready for that.   That "Captain" was Brian Dunnigan who took over Fort Ticonderoga a couple three years later and is often shown on the History Channel. 

Offline Canute Rex

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2009, 06:52:18 PM »
I think one reason that you don't see a lot of iron buckles (if any) is because the !@*%&@ things are a pain to make. Sure, materials like brass were expensive in the 18th century. So was iron. All blacksmith's account books from that era have entries noting "his iron," meaning that the customer had brought in scrap to be recycled. That said, skilled blacksmiths were also scarce, and whitesmiths (those who made polished iron goods) even more scarce. Speaking as a blacksmith who has made a few buckles, I'd say that semi-mass-produced cast brass would beat me for overall cost without much problem, even with a high material cost differential.

A common mistake I see among the frontier/rendezvous/ranger reenactors is that they will have some massive brass buckles on various belts, straps, and shoes. Given the value of the stuff 200 years ago and what we see from surviving artifacts, people of the day used the minimum amount of brass to do the job. Exceptions for the wealthy making a display, of course. Today we are spoiled in terms of cheap, mass produced metal goods.

Offline TPH

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2009, 08:51:59 PM »
There is also this to consider: brass is easier on leather than iron. An iron buckle, in use, will cause the leather to harden, crack and break/tear where brass, copper and silver will not. I think the early leather workers used non-ferrous metals when ever the could.

Another thing, I have always wondered about the style of buckle used by many makers today, obviously modern pattern buckles used on otherwise very fine recreations of early pouches and belts. If you can't get the right style, don't use a buckle. But then that is just my opinion, it's between the maker and the buyer.
T.P. Hern

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2009, 03:06:26 PM »
I'll throw in my two cents. Most forged buckles of today look nothing like the old ones. Most are not finnished they still have hammer marks and no file work done. The originals I have seen are file finnished and you can still see the file marks. I'm like a lot of others in that I'm sure people used what they had brass or iron they weren't picky like we are today. They didn't have the luxury of choosing between 10 or 40 choices. Also most original shot bags were never lined. I beleive none of the 18th century rural made one's had cloth linings. Probably few had buckles of any type. However most of us today make bags with cloth linings because we can and we like them.

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
  • American Mountain Men #1393
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2009, 07:37:09 PM »
B Barker,

I can't recall any original bag that was lined, however, there are a few that had a cloth backing sewn to the back of the bag flap.

Randy Hedden
American Mountain Men #1393

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2009, 09:27:06 PM »
Per lining...I have seen one lined bag...it was in for restorations last year...
of all the bags Ive seen, that was the only lined one except like Randy says on the flap...

heres a link for buckle making ( if it works..)
 http://books.google.com/books?id=-rHmq8CXIMwC&pg=PA35&lpg=PA35&dq=english+buckle+makers&source=bl&ots=21EecCio9s&sig=QEJCG5yuwDUherXjQnXIfUs1M1c&hl=en&ei=6eJxSu36JYbiMMmWlbEM&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5

Unless it was a rev war embargo thing...I think most any kind of buckles should have been available and quite common in the bigger trade centers of colonial America...imported and domestic...and when I think of it, it seems the nicest bags Ive worked on all have buckles...and sometimes more than one...strap buckles, flap buckles and closures, horn keeper buckles...but these were early 19th century bags I believe...so I cant say it was a mid 18th century thing too, but I think the buckles would have been available if it was...?
TCA
TCA
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2009, 09:43:18 PM »
Randy I was referring to the backing, sorry I wasn't clear. Those that were so backed are from 19th century and and all the home spun bags I've seen were  leather only no backing. The fanciest thing I've seen is a inside devider. My uncle has a bab thats been in his family along with a iron mounted rifle. I would say that the bag is very late 19th or early 20th century and it has no buckle and no backing. Its very simple and thet is what I'm trying to say most of us these days get way to fancy with our gear. Most every day folks weren't concerned in the looks but usability of the shot bags and horns. My dad was raised in the depression and always talks about how they reused everything they could. I think most of the folks living on the frontier or near did the same thing. Money wasn't something they had alot of so bartering was the norm. And I don't think they would waist coth or buckles on things that didn't really need them. Just my thoughts.