Author Topic: You guys have done it again  (Read 3190 times)

Offline Nordnecker

You guys have done it again
« on: March 06, 2020, 09:56:04 PM »
I've read the warnings, but I can't help it. I want to make a hunting pouch.
I got T.C's book about a week ago. I've been reading past threads and learning all I can. It's been really neat seeing the progress so many of you have made, problems you've run into, critiques of your own work and especially the lessons and instructions offered up here.
Now, I'm noticing all sorts of details that I never noticed before, especially the texture of the different leathers.

Capgun kid showed those stiching clamps and I just had to have something like that. I couldn't decide which one I liked better so I sorta combined the two.

I had linen thread and needles already. I bought some veg tan to work with. I need a frizzen stall and a small knife sheath so I'll get a little practice before jumping into a bag.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 03:56:17 PM by Nordnecker »
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline Brokennock

Re: You guys have done it again
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2020, 08:28:55 PM »
Very nice. I could use something like that, but, I don't have the woodworking talent, tools, or space, or talent, to make one.
Please let us know how it works for you. Pictures of it in action would be great.
Thanks for sharing.

Offline Crow Boy

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2020, 07:30:47 AM »
Nice job on the clamp.  Is that a D-18 or D-28 in the background?  It's good to have a diversion like a fine old flat-top to distract you while you're figuring out a vexing issue with your projects.   You'll do fine, sir.  Dive in!

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2020, 06:18:30 PM »
I think I learned a few things yesterday.
I made a template for my sheath out of cardboard. I wanted right side cary with a belt loop. I got it worked out ok and marked my leather and cut it out. It was backwards.  :o
Try again. I should have left a little more length for the loop because the leather was thicker than the cardboard and needed more length to make the bend.
I knew I had to sew the loop to the sheath before closing the sheath so I started sewing. I should have used 2 lengths of thread to do this, but....maybe next time.
My clamp held the leather together just fine. Sewing went OK but it was kinda hard to pull the second needle through. My thread and needles were too big.
I used a pricking iron and it was difficult to get it out after punching the holes. I know I need a better awl. None of mine are right for leatherwork.
I'll try to post a picture of the sheath. It has some pucker/scaring on it from something- not sure what caused that.
I think I'll line the jaws of the clamp with leather.

Crow Boy- That's a D-28 in the background. I changed the pickguard from black to tortoise some years ago. I call her "Mrs. Robinson" ;)
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline Bigmon

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2020, 08:06:47 PM »
AHOY!!  Is that a Martin guitar in the background.  What model?  How old??
Just another of my many weaknesses

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2020, 08:23:40 PM »
Looking forward to the finished product. Great clamp. I love a good bag more than almost anything. And I love a new adventure. Keep us posted!

Speaking of guitars and adventures, my wife and I went to see Arlo Guthrie in a cave venue last night. Still buzzing over the acoustics in that place...  ‘Alice’s Restaurant’ was epic.

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2020, 08:58:13 PM »
Bob: Did you "find everything you want"?
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2020, 11:18:35 PM »
I made a template for my sheath out of cardboard. I wanted right side cary with a belt loop. I got it worked out ok and marked my leather and cut it out. It was backwards.  :o
Try again. I should have left a little more length for the loop because the leather was thicker than the cardboard and needed more length to make the bend.
I knew I had to sew the loop to the sheath before closing the sheath so I started sewing. I should have used 2 lengths of thread to do this, but....maybe next time.
My clamp held the leather together just fine. Sewing went OK but it was kinda hard to pull the second needle through. My thread and needles were too big.
I used a pricking iron and it was difficult to get it out after punching the holes. I know I need a better awl. None of mine are right for leatherwork.
I'll try to post a picture of the sheath. It has some pucker/scaring on it from something- not sure what caused that.

I've learned m, the hard way, that for a completely new project, it is not a bad idea to make a dummy model out of stuff fabric or cheap craft felt so one can play with how the pieces go together. Which order and orientation to stack the pieces of a bag with a center divider so they come out in the right places when turned rightsideout? A fabric model can be manipulated to answer that, same with which way a sheath will wind up better for carry, or if something will be the right size.

Glad the clamp worked out.

Stony

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2020, 02:43:09 PM »
I tried to do stitching with two needles for a long time, and finally relented and moved on to a single needle type of awl with a spool on it. Using it, I have found I can keep myself busy stitching stuff on my lap while watching tv in my recliner !

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2020, 05:52:04 PM »
Outstanding

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2020, 10:47:10 PM »

I've learned m, the hard way, that for a completely new project, it is not a bad idea to make a dummy model out of stuff fabric or cheap craft felt so one can play with how the pieces go together. Which order and orientation to stack the pieces of a bag with a center divider so they come out in the right places when turned rightsideout? A fabric model can be manipulated to answer that, same with which way a sheath will wind up better for carry, or if something will be the right size.

Glad the clamp worked out.

This^^^

My wife has been in the hospital since Sunday (in the process of being discharged now) and I sat up there with her... After the first day she sent me home to get a few items for her comfort and I grabbed a few to help me pass the time.

I had watched a video of a young man making a messenger-style bag and thought it might make a handy shooting pouch if the scale was reduced... One piece of leather for the body and flap. So I grabbed some chrome tanned upholstery leather and a bare minimum of tools and spent a few hours putting the bag together.

Instead of an awl and proper thread I simply used a rotary punch and cheap thread for my stitching. It only needed to hold things together to verify my design would work. And it passed the time since I'm not much of a TV watcher. Super cheap way to try something new.

Mike

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2020, 03:05:52 PM »
I'm a little frustrated as I just don't have what (I think) I need. My trip to Tandy wasn't as fruitful as I had hoped. They were out of stock on awls, stiching wheels and I ended up with alcohol dye instead of oil.
I wish I had a proper awl. The pricking irons I got are OK on 1 or 2 layers but are really difficult to get out after punching and not so good on more layers or thicker leather. I think they are 3.5mm or about 6 stich per inch.
I've tried to make a diamond shaped awl but it's tricky to grind something that small, for me at least.
The one I managed to grind out slides in and out of the leather easily, but it's a little too small.
I've tried to source the Osburn #42 ,that I think was recommended here, and some John James needles but I am unsure of the sizes and styles of the needles and there appear to be 4 different sized awls.  It's all very confusing.

Offline J Henry

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2020, 06:06:59 PM »
  I have a "tee" at the base of my stitching holder,that way I can set on it and have both hands free to work.

Offline mushka

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2020, 11:17:22 PM »
I've had my Martin D28 since 1980.  Due to troublesome arthritis in the hands and fingers I just sent it back east to my daughter who is a wizard with stringed instruments.  I hadn't been able to play it well for quite a while but I miss seeing it.  She'll keep it going.
I'm a chip carver and It's not going that great either.

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2020, 03:08:42 AM »
I'm a little frustrated as I just don't have what (I think) I need. My trip to Tandy wasn't as fruitful as I had hoped. They were out of stock on awls, stiching wheels and I ended up with alcohol dye instead of oil.
I wish I had a proper awl. The pricking irons I got are OK on 1 or 2 layers but are really difficult to get out after punching and not so good on more layers or thicker leather. I think they are 3.5mm or about 6 stich per inch.
I've tried to make a diamond shaped awl but it's tricky to grind something that small, for me at least.
The one I managed to grind out slides in and out of the leather easily, but it's a little too small.
I've tried to source the Osburn #42 ,that I think was recommended here, and some John James needles but I am unsure of the sizes and styles of the needles and there appear to be 4 different sized awls.  It's all very confusing.

My "local" (80 miles away) Tandy is quite often out of the items I want. I went in for thread a few days ago and they didn't have what I needed... The manager told me they are switching vendors this year and their thread selection should vastly improve.

Other items have been out of stock for months.

I was browsing the web for a few items today and checked out the CS Osborne site. They appear to have some nice items but I can find no way to select and purchase any of them. I guess you have to buy from a middle man who stocks their merchandise.

Mike

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2020, 02:07:00 PM »
^ OK, so it's not just me. I'm about 80 miles from one, too. I've been looking on line for the few things that I want. It would sure be nice to get them all from the same place and not have to pay separate shipping. It seems everywhere I look they are out of stock on this or don't stock that at all. Prices are all over the map from ob$urd to ridiculous.
I don't mind paying for a quality tool. It's hard enough to learn how to do something new without trying to do it with the wrong tool.
Frankly, I never payed any attention to the stiching on the bag I bought at Dixons many years ago. In fact, it has an inner pocket I never even knew it was there until I saw the stiching for it.
I found a site called AWLOUT where the guy critiques some of the available awls. Nigel Armitage and others show how to properly sharpen them. I never thought this much about awls.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2020, 10:00:03 PM »
Try Lima Beads for waxed linen thread in many colors.  The 3 ply is about like normal leather sewing thread.  The four-ply is a touch heavier.  Good stuff. 

Also, Zack White Leather in Ramseur NC is a good source for leather, products, and tools.  Much better than Tandy. 

Hope these suggestions help.  God Bless,   Marc

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2020, 10:29:43 PM »
Thank you Marc. That is very helpful.

I stumbled across Wm. Booth Draper's site yesterday and they had a decent selection of linen thread. It starts at 35/2 and gets finer (if I understand the sizing correctly) from there.

The real challenge has been finding a needle/thread/awl combination that all go well together... My awl measures .090 at its widest.

I am about 130 miles from Springfield Leather Co. Once my wife heals enough to travel we plan on making a trip there to see if their selection is better than Tandy's.

Mike

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2020, 12:51:36 AM »
Mike, you may want to check in with James Rogers.  I bought a nice English one from him at CLA that works super.  I am not sure if he has any left, but it is worth a try. 

On the Lima Beads site, I had no way of knowing what size thread was what.  I ordered a few, and fired for effect when I decided which worked best.  I use the 3-ply and 4-ply linen now.  I was hoping to save you some grief.

God Bless,   Marc 

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2020, 01:28:55 AM »
Again Marc, thank you.

I planned on ordering a few different sizes just to see what worked for me. I also noticed that John James makes harness needles in a variety of sizes and they even have a package with all the different sizes so that would help a fellow out too.

I suppose if I had the patience I might try to learn the tapered thread/hog bristle method that Capgun has shared... But I should probably learn to crawl before I try to run a marathon. Lol

On a side note... My new awl seems to work well after sharpening and polishing. I picked up a little tip (from Nigel/Armitage leather, iirc) that a little smear over beeswax will help make the awl a little slicker when punching holes. I tried it out last night, lo and behold it worked. But I could see it being an issue if you dye your projects after you sew... The wax may prevent the dye from taking around the holes if they're waxy.

Mike

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2020, 01:30:59 PM »

The real challenge has been finding a needle/thread/awl combination that all go well together...

Mike
Ain't that the truth. I did step down to some smaller linen thread, but it's probably bigger than it needs to be.

I made 2 different awls this week. The one on the left ended up too small. The right  one works with the needles I'm using now. It could probably be smaller, too.

It sure is hard to hone a blade this small while maintaining it's diamond profile. The more I try, I loose the crispness of the shape.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 01:58:19 PM by Nordnecker »

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2020, 10:59:49 PM »
I followed Marc's advice and looked at Lima Beads for linen thread... The first time I looked for it on their site I couldn't find it. So I wound up ordering from Wm. Booth Draper... WBD also has linen fabric, ordered a little of it too just to see.

But I went back to Lima Beads and looked again, dug a little further and finally found it. They have waxed Irish linen thread in about color you can imagine and several different plies...

Here is a link to help if you're not tech savvy (I'm not either)

https://www.limabeads.com/Irish-Waxed-Linen-C7110

They had beading needles but I couldn't find harness needles on their site... They may have them and I just didn't find them (my tech savviness again) so I ordered some John James needles from another vendor.

Mike

Offline ScottH

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2020, 08:51:09 PM »
Any of you shop "Weaver Leather Supply"
Their online catalog has a lot of stuff including tools and thread.

RoaringBull

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2020, 12:15:54 AM »
I just bought some dye from them.