Author Topic: Poorest of the Poor Boys  (Read 2694 times)

Offline wabeek

Poorest of the Poor Boys
« on: March 09, 2020, 02:14:39 PM »
This is a longrifle which I acquired as a teenager in 1956, and other than cleaning with a little mineral spirits and hand rubbing with a commercial product, Linspeed Oil, has been left as found.  Not a dealer but an elderly gentleman in rural western PA sold it to me from his very old home.  The notch behind the hammer suggest a flint cock before someone went high-tech with a 'store bought' common Riddle percussion lock.  The barrel appears to have always been the percussion drum you see.  I've never pulled the barrel because the pins are covered in the right side by old wood pegs as is the foreward lock screw hole (pretty fancy).  The only brass are the thimbles which likely were purchased or taken from another rifle.  Unless the stock was severely cut there never was a butt plate.  You can see there was a more traditional trigger guard with a rear pin.  The trigger guard and trigger assembly I really like! 
The .42 cal. barrel is 40.25"; overall the rifle is . 54.5"; line of sight drop 3.5"; butt height also 3.5"; butt width, wrist height & width are all 1.5" .  Trigger pull is just 13" .
Don't really feel confident as to where it's from, though I'm favoring southern.  If you hold the  tallow hole up to your ear you will hear fiddles  & buck dancing.  I would truly appreciate the benefit of your thoughts, so don't hesitate with your observations...the good, the bad and the ugly!

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
Re: Poorest of the Poor Boys
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2020, 07:33:18 PM »
Wow, I am amazed they splurged and put a rear pipe on this rifle! It is an interesting rifle to see, with the blacksmith-made triggers and guard, and simple but pleasing stocking. Actually, this rifle probably came from PA, based on the soft curvature in its comb. Most southern rifles have a straighter comb line.

Shelby Gallien

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2020, 08:38:43 PM »
Interested in knowing if the grease hole is bored on an angle? It looks like it might be but its so dark I can't tell for sure.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline tooguns

• I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2020, 08:52:41 PM »
Is the grease hole a knot? Great rifle thanks for sharing!
It is best to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove any and all doubt....

Offline wabeek

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2020, 10:57:32 PM »
I believe the architecture (the comb curvature & Lehigh lower stock curve) say eastern  PA.  Many southern hunting rifles came north with the end of the American Civil War but this may not be one of them.
The grease or tallow hole is cut straight in, shows no sign of ever having a knot and measures 11/16" deep, 5/8" up & down and 1 1/4" across.  Inside the hole has it's irregularities as if finished with a small knife yet smooth with likely built up tallow becoming  waxlike...and pitch black.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2020, 11:22:05 PM »
Now that's an interesting rifle.  Poor boy made in PA and moved South where it was modified and then came home again.  Or something like that.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2020, 11:28:53 PM »
Somebody in the long ago needed a simple tool to put meat in the skillet and this was
more than adequate to do it.I really like the extreme simplicity of this type of rifle and
It says a lot was done with few tools and determination.
Bob Roller

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2020, 11:49:30 PM »
There appears to be an original vent pick hole in the bottom edge of the butt, suggesting the gun was originally flint.

Shelby Gallien

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2020, 01:06:06 AM »
I like it.  Simplicity can be beautiful.  Thanks for sharing.

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2020, 02:21:40 AM »
That is definitely an eastern Berks or Northampton area utility piece.  Also, I think it's a big mistake to assume that because the rough forged guard is a secondary replacement, that it must have gone south.  I've played with quite a number of these eastern PA 'barn guns' that had very similar iron strip guards, or piece of iron strip used for buttplates or partial buttplates, or for all kinds of things.  Utilitarian is utilitarian and I don't think there is any regional dictate on that aspect.  So rather than a fiddle and buck dancing, I would personally envision a hurdy gurdy or (later) accordion and a big pile of sausage!
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2020, 02:24:18 AM »
I believe the architecture (the comb curvature & Lehigh lower stock curve) say eastern  PA.  Many southern hunting rifles came north with the end of the American Civil War but this may not be one of them.
The grease or tallow hole is cut straight in, shows no sign of ever having a knot and measures 11/16" deep, 5/8" up & down and 1 1/4" across.  Inside the hole has it's irregularities as if finished with a small knife yet smooth with likely built up tallow becoming  waxlike...and pitch black.
Thanks, neat working man's rifle. My father-in-law was a person that could make most anything out of old stuff laying around the farm. I could easily see him making a rifle like this.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline wabeek

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2020, 02:37:55 AM »
Forgot about that hole under flat of lower stock, it goes in about 1 1/2" & small feather fits & holds.  Underside reminds me....look at wood around trigger guard...straight pencil lines, likely from 'smith's' work? Knew as a kid to respect 'em and leave 'em.  Action between lock and 'Pa Kettle' trigger assembly work.  Barrel has descent bore.
Wonder how many lives this rifle has had! Enjoying retirement many years now!

Offline wabeek

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2020, 01:53:22 PM »
Also forgot, note the two nail holes at opposite ends of the mortise & plate.  Earlier but damaged plate?
Your comments are GREAT!  The PA origin makes perfect sense...including the hurdy gurdy and delicious sausage, just no grits!  Thanks guys!!!
    Richard (Wabeek)

Offline Kevin

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2020, 07:35:18 PM »
Wabeek,

Thanks for sharing the photos of this piece.  I came into a similar rifle last year and am always interested in see others.  Consider me curious, what is the shape of the barrel tang on your rifle?  The one on mine tapers to a point.

Thanks Again,
Kevin 

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2020, 10:07:29 PM »
That is definitely an eastern Berks or Northampton area utility piece.  Also, I think it's a big mistake to assume that because the rough forged guard is a secondary replacement, that it must have gone south.  I've played with quite a number of these eastern PA 'barn guns' that had very similar iron strip guards, or piece of iron strip used for buttplates or partial buttplates, or for all kinds of things.  Utilitarian is utilitarian and I don't think there is any regional dictate on that aspect.  So rather than a fiddle and buck dancing, I would personally envision a hurdy gurdy or (later) accordion and a big pile of sausage!

It was the combination of the iron guard and the grease hole that led me to think it traveled south but who knows
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline wabeek

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2020, 11:09:45 PM »
Wabeek,

Thanks for sharing the photos of this piece.  I came into a similar rifle last year and am always interested in see others.  Consider me curious, what is the shape of the barrel tang on your rifle?  The one on mine tapers to a point.

Thanks Again,
Kevin
[/quote

Kevin,

Tang is a gentle 3 1/4" taper with two screw holes (rear one empty) about 1/2" apart.  Old reinsertd broken piece repair between tang & lockplate maybe evidencing older lock took a hit.

Offline Kevin

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2020, 11:40:31 PM »
Wabeek,

Many thanks for the additional information about the barrel tang shape.

Take Care,
Kevin