Author Topic: Blast from the past  (Read 3052 times)

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Blast from the past
« on: March 09, 2020, 06:29:01 PM »
I made this gun in about '92 and it turned up at auction a month ago. 42" .50 green mountain barrel, siler lock, probably a precarved Pecatonica stock.  # 37, nearly 30 years old now.

NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline MuskratMike

Re: Blast from the past
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2020, 07:18:16 PM »
Still looks great and I am sure still shoots fine also. Kind of like seeing an old friend.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Online Stoner creek

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2020, 07:28:57 PM »
Brooks, do you have the stuff to load that thing? We might take her out for a spin this weekend.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2020, 07:58:30 PM »
She’s a beaut Mike. Patch box is super.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2020, 09:01:55 PM »
Brooks, do you have the stuff to load that thing? We might take her out for a spin this weekend.
Yep, probably.
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2020, 03:30:59 AM »
  Never seen a Brooks gun I didn't like...nice work Mike...
Oldtravler

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2020, 04:40:05 PM »
Let me guess...#37 now resides on Stoner Creek?  Nice catch, Wayne!

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Online Stoner creek

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2020, 04:52:58 PM »
Let me guess...#37 now resides on Stoner Creek?  Nice catch, Wayne!

Greg
It will after a weekend trip to the great cornfield.....
Stop Marxism in America

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2020, 07:35:27 PM »
"Kind of like seeing an old friend"....that is one of the reasons I enjoy going to the annual BC Rendezvous at Heffley Creek BC.  I get to see many of the rifles I've built over the years, and there's often some surprises.  But it's like seeing your kids after a long absence.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2020, 08:35:23 PM »
"Kind of like seeing an old friend"....that is one of the reasons I enjoy going to the annual BC Rendezvous at Heffley Creek BC.  I get to see many of the rifles I've built over the years, and there's often some surprises.  But it's like seeing your kids after a long absence.
Yep, it's fun to see the ones made long ago. They always look better to me now than they did when I built them.

Offline ScottH

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2020, 12:27:09 AM »
Does not look like it was used much in the time it has been out in the world!
Almost looks like you finished it a couple months ago. Nice!

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2020, 02:53:03 AM »
Hi Mike,
It is older than 25 years so doesn't it qualify as an antique?

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline johngross

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2020, 03:20:28 AM »
Mike. No disrespect intended toward your wonderful craftsmanship, but since your rifle displays something I've been curious about for several years I would like to ask a question.

Your rifle has what I have called an off center patchbox, meaning the finale is considerably below the center line of the butt stock. When I had first seen this on an original rifle years back I thought the gunsmith made a mistake, but said to himself "the heck with it" and just left it as is. But I began to see more of the "off center" patchboxes and it didn't make sense all these different gunsmiths were making the same mistake.

So my question, is there a reason for the "off centerness", a certain time period, school, etc?

Thank you, and thanks for posting the pictures of your fine rifle, even though the patchbox is crooked. :)

John

« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 06:17:48 AM by johngross »

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2020, 05:01:04 PM »
Mike. No disrespect intended toward your wonderful craftsmanship, but since your rifle displays something I've been curious about for several years I would like to ask a question.

Your rifle has what I have called an off center patchbox, meaning the finale is considerably below the center line of the butt stock. When I had first seen this on an original rifle years back I thought the gunsmith made a mistake, but said to himself "the heck with it" and just left it as is. But I began to see more of the "off center" patchboxes and it didn't make sense all these different gunsmiths were making the same mistake.

So my question, is there a reason for the "off centerness", a certain time period, school, etc?

Thank you, and thanks for posting the pictures of your fine rifle, even though the patchbox is crooked. :)

John

This gun was built long ago, more than 350 guns have left my bench since I built this one so I don't recall a thing about building it.. I may have been looking at pictures of an original when I did this box. "Generally" I'll point them at the center of the wrist where it meets the comb unless the box on the gun I'm copying points elsewhere. My best advice is "refer to originals". ;)

Offline Daryl

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2020, 12:33:35 AM »
Nice looking rifle, Mike.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V