Author Topic: Screwdrivers??  (Read 2154 times)

Offline R.J.Bruce

Screwdrivers??
« on: March 10, 2020, 10:52:54 PM »
Any suggestions as to a set of all around gunsmithing screwdrivers?

I'm looking for something that will be as versatile as possible.

NOT, just to be used on longrifles.

Thanks

Offline 45-110

Re: Screwdrivers??
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2020, 11:01:54 PM »
A set from Wheeler eng'r or Chapman will work nicely. I have both sets and still find I don't have the perfect fit sometimes. So some need a reshaping.
kw

Online Goo

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2020, 12:34:00 AM »
I have a wet grinder!  That allows me to buy inexpensive hard tip screwdrivers from harbor freight.  I can hollow grind the tips to serve as gunsmithing screwdrivers and not over heat because I am grinding in a spray of water.
Opinions are expensive. Rich people rarely if ever voice their opinion.

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2020, 03:18:52 AM »

Had a friend give me this 72 piece Wheeler set a couple of years ago.  Best screwdriver set I have ever had.
David

Offline bobw

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2020, 09:18:59 PM »
Interesting this subject came up.  I’m not very smart, been thinking about making a set of screw drivers for years and didn’t think it would be a big deal...wrong!  These are 16 of a 48 piece set I just finished. 8 blade thicknesses (hollow cut), 6 different widths and 8 different handles colors.  Have as much time in these as it take to build a fancy long rifle from scratch.
Bob Warren

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2020, 09:53:19 PM »
I've had two of the Midway multi-tip gunsmith sets over the years---they all got scattered eventually.  Were adequate enough.  If I were to get another set like that, I'd get the Wheeler shown above.

I'm just not fooling with enough other stuff to need such anymore.
Hold to the Wind

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2020, 10:04:58 PM »
Best set I ever had. By far. I’ve many other Chapman’s but this is a great starter set. All you need for flintlocks and other narrow/deep applications. Not cheap but definitely forever screwdrivers.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 10:08:13 PM by Bob McBride »

Offline scottmc

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2020, 04:14:19 PM »
I third the chapman.  I just ordered a second set for my shooting box.  I use the "beginner" set which seems to have every bit needed for a smokepole.  The smallest ones will break if torqued too much but easy to get replacements and are cheap enough.  Plus made right here in u.s.a.
Remember Paoli!

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2020, 05:46:07 PM »
Best set I ever had. By far. I’ve many other Chapman’s but this is a great starter set. All you need for flintlocks and other narrow/deep applications. Not cheap but definitely forever screwdrivers.

Interesting .  I have the exact same set, and have snapped 3 of the inserts so far  :(

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2020, 06:23:45 PM »

Interesting .  I have the exact same set, and have snapped 3 of the inserts so far  :(

I’ve broke a few myself. I also once broke a gr70 chain trying to pull a fallen oak out of a pond. Hit the dozer like a Howitzer. My wife calls me a ‘knuckle dragger”.

Offline wmrike

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2020, 07:10:56 PM »
I use the Brownells drivers.  The lifetime warranty on the tips is sitting there, but I've never had to resort to it.  I especially like the stubby driver handle - that and two or three tips fit neatly in my bag and are less likely than a full one-piece screwdriver to poke anything.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2020, 05:36:29 AM »
I have both the Chapman and the Wheeler.  The smaller Chapman can fit in a range bag, but the Wheeler has a broader range of bits for any occasion. 

Offline R.J.Bruce

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2020, 06:45:05 PM »
With all the other stuff that's going on, I forgot about this thread.

Thanks for the answers.

Offline KentSmith

• Augusta Gunworks
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2020, 09:44:49 PM »
Man you guys have too much money on your hands. I have a set of wooden handled hollow ground drivers I have used for 50 years. Had to alter a couple long ago. I also do not have a milling machine or any metal lathe.  I do all right.

Offline rmnc3r

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2020, 04:15:56 AM »
Almost as complete as a Chapman or Wheeler Kit but much less expensive - $6.99 ea
I bought a couple - one for the shop and one to keep with my range gear

https://www.cdnnsports.com/51-piece-screwdirver-kit-outersrgunsmith.html?___SID=U#.Xn1S0epKjDc
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 04:19:20 AM by rmnc3r »

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2020, 06:48:41 AM »
I have some of the red handled Forstner gun screwdrivers that I got probably 25+ years ago, and they're good screwdrivers, and I still use them all the time.  But honestly, it ain't that hard to take decent quality ordinary old screwdrivers and grind the tips to fit various screws.
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."