Offline Longknife

Stock
« on: March 13, 2020, 11:51:22 PM »
And how about this stock? Any opinion welcome, thanks Ed

Ed Hamberg

Online Niall

Re: Stock
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2020, 01:52:39 PM »
Homemade  copy of a trade musket using local timber and forged iron furniture.?

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2020, 05:14:47 PM »
"Homemade  copy of a trade musket using local timber and forged iron furniture.?"

With all due respect, I think I would have to disagree.  When I hear the term "homemade" it brings to mind crude work.  The molding around those lock panels says to me an experienced gun stocker/gun maker crafted that wood.  I also personally like the buttstock lines of that gun.  With relatively modest drop and a straight comb, I doubt it was hard recoiling.  Of course, I am no expert and those that are will weigh in here soon I am sure. 

God Bless,   Marc

Online backsplash75

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2020, 06:38:05 PM »
It looks like an early federal mixmaster parts/composite restocking. Buttplate and other fittings look vaguely Dutch, but that long buttplate finial is usually wider and in brass on muskets found in the USA.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 06:41:07 PM by backsplash75 »

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2020, 05:57:19 PM »
Looks like a parts gun (and there is nothing wrong with that in my view). Deserves to be put back together.
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2020, 06:01:12 PM »
Interesting that the lock mortise seems to be largely drilled out. Note the line of lead screw holes from the drill bit.
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Online Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2020, 07:21:13 PM »
Interesting that the lock mortise seems to be largely drilled out. Note the line of lead screw holes from the drill bit.

I use the same method to quickly waste out the bulk of the wood once marking where everything goes.  I try to stop a bit short (he stopped short! hahahaha) so that when chiseling to final fit, it removes the majority of the marks, but usually you can see them in there somewhere.  I've seen quite a number of original pieces with the same evidence, and in fact quite often you can see a few marks down where the mainspring goes where the drill bits caught the barrel flat and left semi circular marks (not deep or anything, but left some light marks).
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!