Author Topic: Swabbing between shots???  (Read 8475 times)

allen.54

Re: Swabbing between shots???
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2020, 01:08:37 AM »
Hi Hanshe and thanks for the welcome! I have to say that if you don`t want to season your bbl don`t and I don`t care who listens to who ! Seasoning a bbl is not a crust build up , its a chemical process of the natural grease filling the pours of the steel with with a natural barrier. created by heat and building over time. No one ever heard of a petroleum product for cleaning until after nitro cellulose came into use. A lot of history to argue with, but what the heck, some people know everything! Remember Joe what the old gunfighters used to say "Never saw the cemetery you built" Allen.

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2020, 05:02:03 AM »
I think a barrel can  be seasoned. I've had a couple that I think were seasoned. Don't know for sure as seasoning was never my intent. I read the advertising concerning 1,000 shots without cleaning and decided to try some WL. I shot it as a patch lube for at least 2, maybe 3 years fulltime as a patch lube. So I had several hundred rounds down the barrel on each rifle I was shooting.
I couldn't really see any difference in my shooting but I started seeing it in my cleaning. It got where my  patches were coming out with a ugly,  thick,  coating of brown stuff tinted green. It just wouldn't clean out using my regular cleaning regimins. For awhile I couldn't figure it out so I started writing down my process'ess, and finally saw the problem. I felt like something had changed but what? It was the lube. The WL was the only major change in my loading.   When I clean a barrel I want it clean. I want to run a clean patch down the bore and have it come out clean when the barrel should be clean. I figure this coating is what is referred to as "Seasoning". I wanted it out. But nothing seemed to cut it until I wet a patch with brake cleaner. That got it out. Now my barrel gets clean again.
Thing is I still use WL as the lube in my deer loads. Mainly because if loaded on a fresh charge the WL lubed patch will not cause a rust ring in the chamber. I have tried numerous lubes but for my deer loads WL works best for me. Rifles are funny. My turkey rifle shoots super accurate with Canola oil as a patch lube and I use it because it doesn't cause that rust ring either.  I'm not concerned about the WL seasoning in my barrels anymore because I know how to get it out. But if I require max. accuracy from either WL or Canola oil I wipe my barrels after a max. of 3 shots.
So after shooting it so long I would like to know the realistic benefits one can expect from seasoning a barrel.
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2020, 11:49:53 AM »
Allen,that wasn't a direct dig against you.We live in a money driven world,always have.I'm sometimes reminded of the snake oil salesmen of those days by todays gotta have this,gotta have that products..He would say his elixir would keep you out of that cemetery ;)

Offline alacran

« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2020, 02:53:19 PM »
I always use garlic to season my barrels. Keeps the vampires away.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2020, 03:50:59 PM »
T/C wasn`t the first to come out with all natural products to season your bbl, Ox yoke and others had it a long time before that. I was an advisor for T/C in the 90`s and they were not the first!!!

I never said they were the first ones with a natural product. I said they started the expression "seasoning a barrel" to sell bore butter.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2020, 04:55:10 PM »
Rosemary & Thyme

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2020, 05:15:48 PM »
Seasoning a barrel is something like breaking in boots to me. I just lace em up and head out.

Joe S

« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2020, 10:53:44 PM »
Rosemary & Thyme

I skip the parsley, but I do drag my gun through the sagebrush.

Offline Ross Dillion

« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2020, 07:50:57 PM »
I bought an old TC Hawken last year. Good shooter. Took me a month of shooting and cleaning to get the “seasoning” out of the bore.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2020, 08:15:07 PM »
The metallurgist and chemist who shoot black powder have debunked "seasoning" over and again.  Science is good stuff.

I season my potatoes and beans.

Bob, you strap on a new pair of Nick's or White's and head out and you'll be hurting for sure-they'll break your feet in.  They are made of way stouter leather than most modern men are used to seeing in a boot.  I've got 15 years on two pairs of them (multiple sole replacements) and just got a Third pair last year--still very stiff because I rarely wear the new ones.  The logger/firefighter boots are way tougher than the USA-made Danners I was wearing (out) before them.

But quite true that what passes for boots for 97% of folks can simply be worn right out of the box--just like stretchy and pre-washed denims.  ;D
Hold to the Wind

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #60 on: March 31, 2020, 08:23:42 PM »
The metallurgist and chemist who shoot black powder have debunked "seasoning" over and again.  Science is good stuff.

I season my potatoes and beans.

Bob, you strap on a new pair of Nick's or White's and head out and you'll be hurting for sure-they'll break your feet in.  They are made of way stouter leather than most modern men are used to seeing in a boot.  I've got 15 years on two pairs of them (multiple sole replacements) and just got a Third pair last year--still very stiff because I rarely wear the new ones.  The logger/firefighter boots are way tougher than the USA-made Danners I was wearing (out) before them.

But quite true that what passes for boots for 97% of folks can simply be worn right out of the box--just like stretchy and pre-washed denims.  ;D

Good haul on the Morels by the way. None here yet.

Yea, i was being a bit cheeky but I was visualizing actual boots when i said that, such as the petrified ones thrown at me at Boot Camp, with a 'what size you want Suzie?!" coming a second after I caught them..... They then marched us through two feet of water, and off on a 15 mile hump we went. That's old school. After that I could roll open chestnuts with my heel. As soon as I got out of the Corps I went and got a pedicure and walked out an inch and a half shorter...  ;)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 08:36:48 PM by Bob McBride »

Offline Daryl

« Reply #61 on: March 31, 2020, 08:34:48 PM »

Those are my favourites, Wade. Stretchy and pre-washed.  ;D
They fit THIS, much better than non-stretchy.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

allen.54

« Reply #62 on: April 01, 2020, 04:08:11 AM »
Hey Wade, I think he was the scientist on Ancient Aliens with the funny hair that said Jesus came here in a flying saucer!.....oop`s forgot the religion thing! Sorry Allen.   ( PS he used seasoning also)

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #63 on: April 01, 2020, 04:39:26 PM »
Bore butter and a Jesus joke. You're not out on a good start Allen.

You're probably a good guy. I'll assume it until you prove me wrong. Think before posting.

allen.54

« Reply #64 on: April 01, 2020, 05:37:06 PM »
Haven`t used bore butter in 20 years, I raise guinea hogs and use the rendered lard with bees wax, and no I`m a ..... Thanks!

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #65 on: April 01, 2020, 06:50:30 PM »
I ran the black powder dept. in one of the largest gun shops in the east, we were for years TC`s #1 dealer in the US. They would send their engineers to work with us on new products.

Ok.