Author Topic: What does your napping tool for your flintlock look like?  (Read 9466 times)

Offline Oil Derek

Re: What does your napping tool for your flintlock look like?
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2020, 04:16:33 AM »
I cannot find the tutorial I did on flintknapping....OD:  can you post the link here?  I'll restore all the images then.

Taylor, here is the link and your lucky #13 post. However, I did find the fotos embedded in another (maybe original) post. ***I just fixed the photos*** Dennis

Thanks, OD Out.

https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=5590.msg52680#msg52680
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 03:51:03 PM by Dennis Glazener »

Offline Fyrstyk

• "All I ask of living is to have no chains on me."
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2020, 03:21:02 PM »
My-Flinter: that might just be the neatest napping tool I've seen. Hope you don't mind if the "Muskrat" pilfers your idea?

Dixie Gun Works sells a knapper just like the one KY-Flinter is showing.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 04:28:37 PM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2020, 04:30:25 PM »
Yeah, it's not my idea.  A friend made it and gave it to me.  I wasn't aware Dixie offered them.  They are very simple to make.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2020, 05:15:57 PM »
 While examining an old bullet mold I was donating to the local museum, I discovered that one side of the bag mold had considerable impact damage. After re-examining it under magnification I became convinced that it had been used as a knapping tool for a flintlock. Have any of you found similar evidence of this?

Hungry Horse

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2020, 08:11:59 PM »
Thanks for the link.  I removed the photobucket mess and replaced all the pics with uncorrupted ones from my files.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Oil Derek

« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2020, 09:01:15 PM »
Thanks for the link.  I removed the photobucket mess and replaced all the pics with uncorrupted ones from my files.

Thanks Taylor and Dennis ... perfect now!

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2020, 10:41:37 PM »
 Well, I don’t have a picture of my napping tool, but, it just a 1/2” piece of mild steel square stock dressed off to a cross pean on one end and left square on the other, with a 1/4” bolt threaded into it for a handle. I did make an antler tine handle to cover the bolt shank. I know it bigger than most, and iron instead of brass, or copper, but it works great, and I don’t have to reshape it all the time. After trying to get many modern flintlocks to shoot that had mild steel, or iron frizzens I figured it wasn’t likely my mild steel hammer was going to set anything off.

Hungry Horse

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2020, 11:51:10 PM »
While examining an old bullet mold I was donating to the local museum, I discovered that one side of the bag mold had considerable impact damage. After re-examining it under magnification I became convinced that it had been used as a knapping tool for a flintlock. Have any of you found similar evidence of this?

Hungry Horse

That's pretty interesting.

If it was in fact used to knap the flint then that means it was probably carried afield in the bag... by one shooter anyway.

Mike

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2020, 02:29:32 AM »
Anything not brass is dangerous to knap with unless the gun is unloaded. I have a bunch of old brass hinge pins that I use. Small, light and acts like a hammer. You can also file the long end into a screw driver.
Mark

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2020, 02:34:25 AM »
I think nobody has shown this type yet. It’s a brass or bronze bolt, the kind that sometimes comes with furniture you assemble at home.

I swipe the threads down and across the edge. It takes micro flakes across the edge of the flint. For a stubborn “shiner” I use the notched tip to punch downward when rapped with anything handy. It doubles as a tumbler punch.

Andover, Vermont

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2020, 03:16:01 AM »
On my 58 caliber flintlock rifle I knapped the flint with the back side of a Case
folding hunting knife.Worked fine.I still have it but not the gun.
Bob Roller

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2020, 03:45:54 AM »
Great idea Rich, a multi task tool.

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2020, 04:42:53 AM »
When I first made up my "Gunner's Mate" tool, I specifically planned for the handle of the vent pick to be used for knapping a flint.  With the assembled tool held like a little hammer, it worked great but you had to use very light taps to keep from knocking off too much of the flint edge.  Then after reading of some others using just a short length of brass rod, I took the "T" handle off the Gunner's Mate and bounced the handle of the vent pick on the flint edge. It works very well. 

With just the "T" handle, and not the whole "hammer" arrangement, it is easier not to overdo the knapping and knock off too much of the edge.  But if you need heavier blows for a particular flint, the hammer arrangement works great as well.

The fully assembled tool used as a knapping hammer:

Just the "T" handle portion used as a lighter knapping tool:

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2020, 04:28:34 PM »
I made a copper flaker like one would knap arrowheads with, it works well.

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2020, 04:32:17 PM »
This is turning out to be a really informative thread for posterity.

Offline John SMOthermon

• John SMOthermon
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2020, 05:49:46 PM »
I know an Older than me Gentlemen that uses a kitchen butter knife,

He uses the blade edge and lightly taps it across the flints edge.

I e used my pocket knife and hunting knife in the same manner.. in Pinch.

I Forgot my flint wallet....😠
Smo

Good Luck & Good Shootin'

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2020, 09:55:24 PM »
I feel like I have been a real neophyte, in my 18 years of shooting flintlocks I have never knapped a flint. Most of my shooting has been using a Chambers Siler which easily goes 40 shots without knapping,or a Chambers late Ketland which goes even longer without knapping. I save the old ones thinking I might knapp them later but have never gotten around to it.

Now I have had other locks that would  quit firing after 10-15 shots and if I had known how to Knapp them I would have tried but most were early on with me using flintlocks.

Maybe I should learn how to knapp those flints. I have a pile of worn out ones around here somewhere.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline John SMOthermon

• John SMOthermon
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2020, 01:35:16 AM »
I usually don’t have too knap my flints, unless it starts wearing uneven from twisting in the jaws.

I usually start with a new flint before shooting in competition, but always klatch it a couple of times tosee if it’s going too shatter.

I’ve saved all my old ones too, I take a Dremel tool with the green grinding rock and rework the edge.

With proper Safety.equipment of coarse.
Smo

Good Luck & Good Shootin'

Chemman

« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2020, 05:42:15 AM »
Wow what a bunch of  great replies, thanks guys.

I took a brass rod and used my watchmakers lathe to create a shoulder to flake small chips with the ball of a ball starter.   It worked very good but the flint I think is not so good quality.  It looks like Chert.

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2020, 07:37:30 AM »
When "just shootin" I use my flints up until it's just a nub. When it gets too short I shim it with a sliver of wood. I have several pieces of brass of different sizes for various requirements for napping gunflints.
As for a loaded rifle and a dull flint that should be avoided. I never let my flint get to the condition that if it doesn't spark once, it will the second time. After that shot it is napped again and I start all over. Wiping the edge of the flint and frizzen face with alcohol removes oil and fouling and sometimes allows a dull flint to cut just enough to spark and fire the weapon. If you just can't make it spark and shoot then stick a toothpick in the touch hole before trying to sharpen  a dull flint.
For hunting I pick a good flint and nap it like a razor, it's good all season for deer and turkey. After season I remove it and store it with other hunting flints for next season.
Given time I like a fairly short piece of 3/8"  round brass with a couple of steps ground into the end. I support the flint in the cock with a finger and holding the brass with other fingers of the supporting hand I tap the brass with a small hammer until the edge suits me. Doing it this way can be a little awkward until you get the hang of it.
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline Top Jaw

« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2020, 04:07:01 PM »
 I like the simplicity of some of these tools and how they wouldn’t take up much room in your bag. Or better yet, the dual purpose options.  Here are two that I have. The one on the right with the screwdriver blade I picked up in a trade sometime back. The one on the left is an original I bought at an auction.  Both have non-sparking brass heads.  The original also has a brass handle.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2020, 07:22:53 PM »
I can attest that David Crisalli's Gunners Mate works great as a knapping hammer.  I also have one of the standard screwdriver/hammer combo tools in my range box.  God Bless,  Marc

Offline Molly

« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2020, 08:17:32 PM »
How about this one.

Must confess, we are really getting cabin fever!!

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2020, 08:39:42 PM »
Molly, that looks like a high production model.  :)

Offline Molly

« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2020, 09:19:37 PM »
Yep, you can nap a bolder with it!!