Author Topic: Faux Striping Leman Style  (Read 3978 times)

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
Faux Striping Leman Style
« on: March 14, 2020, 06:41:32 PM »
 I'm currently finishing up a gun that the client wanted faux striped in the style of the Leman Factory in Lancaster PA.Now that i have a few coats of finish on the gun I thought I would share the technique I used.Luckily I had access to an original to study.Once the gun was prepped I first stained it with a 10% Nitric acid and water solution.This differs from my usual Nitrate of Iron stain as it had no iron dissolved in it and I heated it while wet rather than letting it dry.I did this twice.I then sealed it with my my usual spit coat of seed lac.I found that by sealing with the lac first the stripes did'nt bleed as much.I then gave a brush a hair cut to produce the stripes.I tried several different brushes and finally settled on the one pictured.I found the cheap throw away brushes that some use did a very poor job as the bristles broke easily.I then painted on the stripes using regular Higgins India Ink,I found their black magic ink to be much too black and poorly matched the original.Once everything dried I started putting on my top coats.I'm using Blak Forge Armoury's Amber Finishing oil which is a linseed oil based varnish. Be glad to try and answer any questions you might have.I'll post a full set of photo's of the finished gun in a couple of weeks.

Mitch Yates

Offline Craig Wilcox

Re: Faux Striping Leman Style
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2020, 06:47:58 PM »
Marvelous work, Mitch!  That is surely a curly piece of maple.

I looked at the pics in order, and thought, Man, he sure did paint on a lot of skinny stripes, bet it took a long time!  Then I saw your "mountain smile" brush.  You certainly DID give that brush a haircut!
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2020, 07:32:48 PM »
I like that.  It looks not only just about like your original, but has lots of visual appeal as well.  Neat.

Jim

Online Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2020, 07:55:42 PM »
 Dang Mitch, That has got to be the best Faux work I have ever seen.

Tim

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2020, 10:59:47 PM »
Very nice work!
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2020, 12:15:00 AM »
That is an excellent job of striping!
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Online Daryl

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2020, 01:53:45 PM »
Amazingly good job Mitch. Well done. I'd have thought it was fiddle back maple all the way if not knowing it wasn't so.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline flehto

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2020, 02:15:26 PM »
your faux paint job looks beautiful and expertly done. How was the rifle held while painting the stripes?.....Fred

Offline Rawhide Rick

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2020, 03:44:56 PM »
Does anyone know how I can save this post to my profile or something similar?  I’m going to be attempting this in the near future and would like this as a referrence.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2020, 04:17:39 PM »
Does anyone know how I can save this post to my profile or something similar?  I’m going to be attempting this in the near future and would like this as a referrence.

Copy the URL and save it for future access to this topic.
In case you are not familiar with doing that here is the URL  https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?action=post;quote=587812;topic=58755.0;last_msg=587812

Dennis

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline BJH

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2020, 06:28:08 PM »
Oh ny goodness! Can you say steady hands? I could just see in my minds eye the mess I would make. Too cool. I’ve thought about doing a Leaman myself, this is one of the details that boggle me. I’d need to rig some sort of to rest for my hand and fore arm to steady myself. BJH
BJH

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2020, 01:57:05 AM »
How was the rifle held while painting the stripes?.....Fred

Fred
I had initially planned to hold it in something like a checkering cradle but found that it was best just to lay it on a flat surface so I could rest the elbow of the brush hand on the table.I then rotated the stock with the other hand.This gave me a more consistent pattern.

Mitch

Offline Rawhide Rick

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2020, 04:23:52 AM »

Copy the URL and save it for future access to this topic.
In case you are not familiar with doing that here is the URL  https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?action=post;quote=587812;topic=58755.0;last_msg=587812

Dennis

Got it, thanks.