Author Topic: Next project  (Read 3184 times)

Offline B.Barker

Next project
« on: July 29, 2009, 07:53:37 PM »
I think I've found my next big project. I was looking in the library and seen the Richard Allen rifle. Always wanted to do an iron mounted rifle just something different from what you see every day. That Allen rifle from Georgia has given me insperation. Now I just have to figure out if I want to forge my own lock out or modify a store bought. Nothing I see really looks good in the left handed locks for a late flint. I don't have a catalog from the rifle shop. Do they have any late left hand flintcastins? I'm thinking .40 with a 44" tube, maybe in an A weight from Rice. I'll check them out at the CLA show. I also have a chunck of wrought iron I'm going to have made into a barrel someday. ;D

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
Re: Next project
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 08:07:58 PM »
You could modify a left handed Siler lock.  WIth a little work you can make a pretty decent English lock out of it. 

Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Birddog6

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 08:22:23 PM »
This is one I am going to use on a LH Tenn rifle ? 2 builds from now.   Altho there is a LH lock made that looks more appropriate, I won't use that brand anymore. This is made from a Chambers Gunmakers lock, and I KNOW it will work.  Plus has a Lifetime Warranty on the parts.......  Plus I don't have to totally rebuild a Chambers lock to make it work !! :o

This lock needs a few finishing touches but the customer liked it & that is a major Key in this build..   ;)

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 09:34:50 PM »
Good looking conversion and a great option for a lefty. 
Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 10:23:25 PM »
I've been thinking of the chambers gunmakers lock. But I would have to change the cock, frizzen and frizzen spring. That is to suit me. I wish Jim made the late ketland in a lefty. I would still change some things just not as many as with the other option. I have a guy that is wanting a hand forged lock and I'm working up to it. Modifing is lots of work and getting everything right on a whole lock will be a job. I'm kinda anal about making things look just so.

Birddog6

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 12:48:41 AM »
The lock on the left is a Chambers Ketland. But since he doesn't have a LH version, I decided to  go with the Gunmakers lock.  I agree, it would be nice to have more belly in the hammer & the dif. frizzen & of course the spring with roller change.  However, when I build &  sell the rifle with this lock on it & if the guy needs a part, no problem.  If I make everything up on the lock & he breaks a part 5 years from now, he will have problem getting parts as it is a oddball lock. With the Gunmakers LH lock,  ANY LH Siler part will fit it except the lockplate.

Would be nice to make it totally PC/HC.  But on that thought, how many original LH Tenn. rifles ya seen ?  And how many original LH Southern rifles ya seen ?  So basically no matter what LH lock you put on it, it won't be PC or HC.   ???
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 03:09:41 AM by Birddog6 »

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 02:46:09 PM »
Birddog the rifle is for me so parts aren't a problem.  As far as PC goes I know left isn't in but I like the way the late style looks when they are engraved in the old style. Most of the guns I have are right so they sell easier if I ever decide to sell. Lefties are much harder to sell. At least for me.