General discussion > Black Powder Shooting

Long vs. shorter barrels

(1/9) > >>

Edd:
Bunch of questions here...  Do we really need those 42" or longer barrels? Raise yo hand if the main reason you own such a lengthy barrel is 'cause it looks good. My arm is getting tired.

What's so wrong with a 36" barrel? Couldn't we do it all with a barrel that long?? How many of us studied the velocity figures when we elected to go with a barrel over 40 inches??

Do I hear some amens for the 36" - 38" barrels??  I can't hear you! Must I go out on the porch so I can hear better??   ;D

Edd

chapmans:
 Edd,
 My offhand AMS gun has a 1" X 36" GM .40 and it is the gun I shoot at most of the local matches I have an open sight gun full stock with a 7/8" .40 GM, also my x-stix guns have 42" barrels because I think a longer sight radius is more accurate especially when I move the sights up the barrel 13" to 14" so I can see them.
  Steve C.

Evil Monkey:
Other than sight radius, I doubt that long barrels have much intrinsic value. However, there's nothing wrong with haveing a long barrel just for it's visual appeal. IMO it's no different than figured wood, carving, patch boxes, inlays, engraveing, or even tight inletting. All of these things are added for visual appeal and add little or no intrinsic value.

Dennis Glazener:

--- Quote ---What's so wrong with a 36" barrel? Couldn't we do it all with a barrel that long?? How many of us studied the velocity figures when we elected to go with a barrel over 40 inches??

Do I hear some amens for the 36" - 38" barrels??  I can't hear you! Must I go out on the porch so I can hear better?? 
--- End quote ---
OK I will sound off for the 38" barrels. I have a J. Dickert style rifle that I built with a Rice 38" .54 caliber barrel. I don't consider myself a good shot but it will cut clover leafs at 25 yards if I do my part. I shoot 3F Goex in it and to me it shoots as good as the 42 inch Getz that I had on another rifle (since sold).
Dennis

T*O*F:
Why a long barrelled gun?  The answer is in how you shoot.

Everyone these days seems to want a short barrel, lightweight gun.  You point it at the target and then wave it around until you acquire a sight picture.  These have become known as "fast handling guns" and are all the rage today in both cartridge and ML.

Old timers didn't need these.  Gun weight was often given in sales ads.  A long barrel, offhand gun should be slightly weight forward when shouldered.  It is mounted and brought to bear slightly below the target.  Your breath is taken, which raises the barrel to point of aim, and the shot is taken.  Because of the weight, the point of aim is able to be held better without wavering.  It holds on target.  The longer sight radius is a bonus.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version